+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Floor jack caster bracket quality of welding concern

Post Thanks / Like

Floor jack caster bracket quality of welding concern

Hi all,

I am not a welder and posting my question here because I need an advice from pros.
    Just purchased a new floor jack, have not used it yet. Here are some pictures of that caster bracket in question.
    My concern is that it looks dangerous to use (heard some bad stories of broken caster brackets/jack legs).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Name:  20210409_081829(1).jpg
Views: 617
Size:  159.6 KBName:  20210409_083204(1).jpg
Views: 631
Size:  45.7 KBName:  20210409_083403(1).jpg
Views: 625
Size:  97.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Floor jack caster bracket quality of welding concern

Welcome to the website

My view is that castor welding is fine. Most of the weight during jacking is on the front wheels.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Another way to look at it is the weld is on the bottom of the bracket and wheel will be pushing up against the weld. The bracket is also gusseted and welded on the gusset. If it was the other way around that may be not as good. You could clean the paint powder coating off and weld the top then repaint.
    Last edited by acourtjester; 04-09-2021 at 09:19 AM.
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  looks-fine-for-me.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  59.8 KB
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

This is how the second caster looks:

Name:  20210409_081330(1).jpg
Views: 563
Size:  99.3 KBName:  20210409_081429(1).jpg
Views: 572
Size:  102.9 KBName:  20210409_081439(1).jpg
Views: 582
Size:  86.1 KB

Is this bracket has been welded from both sides. or is it just paint?

Looks like different people did this job.

Post Thanks / Like

Just paint IMO.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

7. Likes MinnesotaDave, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They want you to lift the car with the jack,, then support the car with a couple of those,,

"Pittsburgh" brand jackstands,,

OOPS, I forgot,, those Pittsburgh brand jackstands have all been recalled due to defective welds,,

You are right to question the welds,, but, like it has been stated earlier, the other wheels are the "business" end,, doing all of the lifting.

Get a GREAT set of jackstands before you climb under the car/truck,, or get a rigger to give you a quick lesson in cribbing,,

9. Likes 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post

but, like it has been stated earlier, the other wheels are the "business" end,, doing all of the lifting.
    I think that the load distribution on the floor jack front wheels and back casters depends on the lifting arm angle.

Of course, I am using jack stands but now we are talking about how quickly we need to put them under a car to avoid a floor jack collapse.

I see that gap between the bracket and the jack frame and it drives me nuts.

11. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lk77 View Post
    I think that the load distribution on the floor jack front wheels and back casters depends on the lifting arm angle.

Of course, I am using jack stands but now we are talking about how quickly we need to put them under a car to avoid a floor jack collapse.

Then just take it back, explain your concerns and have them search one out that you approve of and be done. If you modify it and it still collapses... who is at fault?

13. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lk77 View Post

The wheel loading will depend on the height of the lifting arm, loading will shift rearward on the jack frame and at full height the weighrt will be getting close to equal on both ends.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

That is right. The angle changes with the height of the lifting arm. Approximately 90 deg at the highest point.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally would not trust those casters. If possible, I would return that floor jack and find another brand, checking the all the caster welds beforehand. Paint can cover up a myriad of bad welds/construction. If you can't return those, and if you can weld, I'd grind off the paint, lay a good bead down where there aren't already good(?) welds and repaint. One can't be too careful.

17. Likes John Koch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's fine and even in the event of catastrophic failure...the ***-end of the jack falls what: 1/2" to the floor?

You're also placing trust in chinese hydraulic oil, a couple seals and a check valve. ��

19. Likes SweetMK, filetobeef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jamscal View Post
    It's fine and even in the event of catastrophic failure...the ***-end of the jack falls what: 1/2" to the floor?

You're also placing trust in chinese hydraulic oil, a couple seals and a check valve. ��
    I agree with that,, you are placing your trust in a LOT of cheap components beside the decent looking weld.

On the side that looks good, poke at it with a sharp nail,, you will find that is only paint on the outside,, not weld.
    I doubt they can weld with an 0.005" radius weld,, and make it look that nice,,

Post Thanks / Like

If this were a critical structural member, it wouldn't be made of stamped 3/16(or less) material If it were loaded to any meaningful degree, given the length of the cantilever, it would collapse..........no matter how well it's welded

So...........................no, it's not a problem
    Last edited by farmersammm; 04-10-2021 at 08:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't argue with welders but it is not just a piece of 3/16" sheet metal. This is how other companies weld caster brackets (3 ton jack also)
    Name:  Image 2.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  34.6 KB

And this is how my jack's manufacturer cheap out on a caster itself (not my jack but the same model):

Name:  Image 1.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  110.7 KB

Thank you all who posted, most likely I am returning this jack.

23. Likes John Koch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You're probably right...................it probably isn't just a cheap piece of 3/16................it's most likely 10ga 3/16 is considered plate, not sheet metal. And, you'll probably find that other "brands" come from the same plant somewhere along the Yangtze River.

I love those little floor jacks. They make good jacks, when wheels removed, for other lifting tools. I've made a hub dolly for Daytons, and a tranny jack, out of those little guys. Handy,, and cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, if you're questioning the weld and aren't even a welder..... that'd be like a sign from god. Get another brand of jack.

It's rather curious that they put a nice bead on the inside where it's hard to reach even with a robot, but didn't want to bother welding the outside where they had plenty of room to maneuver. I don't much care for that idea because they've basically half-assed the job and created a place where moister can gather to cause rusting down the road.

Jacks, like stands, are a place where you don't want to skimp, but it seems like it's getting harder and harder to find quality.

I'd definitely take it back. Maybe search for a vintage floor jack on FB Marketplace or Ebay. It'd be a nice project to restore, too.

Post Thanks / Like

You should worry about the things you cannot see. The hydraulics will fail long before anything ever fails with that part.

Post Thanks / Like

fwiw - Those welds look just as good, some even better, then H Freight trailers towing 2,000 lbs down the freeway at 70mph.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna get weird here (actually not REALLY weird)

If a terrorist had a gun to your head, and said you could place a weld on only one side of that piece, and it had to pass the hammer test without breaking............fail, and you're dead........pass, and ya can go home.

Let's further state that the hammer test had to replicate the stress that jack's gonna see in its lifetime. The jack will be loaded so that the force is towards the floor..........and forcing the bracket upwards. So.......the blow will come from the underside of the jack.

Experience will tell you that it's easier to break a single weld on the opposite side of a hammer blow. Conversely, it's harder to break it when the weld is on the same side as the hammer blow because the weld is in tension.

Ideally, the weld shouldn't break at all, if it's done properly. The metal should fold over the weld. But it's hard to do a good job with a gun to your head Ya need to do the best under the circumstances.

So................if I could only put one weld on that thing........I'd plonk it right where it is.

Fist thing I'm gonna do when I get home, and out of the ariport............................is find the nearest Carl's Junior, and order me the Jr.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist