+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who makes the best Portable welding table ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who makes the best Portable welding table ?

For a portable table I use a B&D Work-Mate.
    My thought is if I need to go portable, then a sheet of Steel to protect the Wood.
    Do the project, then leave.
    Other than that, its the Shop Weld tables and the Ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drujinin View Post

Other than that, its the Shop Weld tables and the Ground.
    I never had a proper shop on the farm for the longest time.

Welding on the ground was okay for the FIRST forty years but I'm not too crazy about doing it nowadays unless I really have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

3. Likes snoopdogg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by welding1 View Post
    were freaking welders/weldors! We make ****!
    Sure sounds good until you consider the variables. This assumes that you have the tools, skills and materials to simply whip something together. Just going to town to find some 1/4" plate might set you back more than one of the cheap-o tables being talked about here. When you start thinking about building a "decent" table that's worth building and will last you years.... you could be out hundreds just in materials, never mind your time.

What would it take to make a scissor-lift welding table like I mentioned? Sure, you could knock out a stiff-legged stand pretty easily, but they you have something that's only good as a table and not for raising or lowering your work so you can better access the point of weld, and you can't also use it to help lifting heavy stuff around the homestead.

Tweaking a pre-existing design, like the hydraulic carts, makes sense. A day's work to make a stiffer top, pop some holes in the plate for clamps, and you're ready to go. But starting from scratch?

Post Thanks / Like

For some time I used to use one of these Harbor Freight rolling service carts:

https://www.harborfreight.com/16-inc...cart-5107.html

I clamped a piece of 1/4" plate on top. It was a few inches bigger than the cart all around for clamping work at the edges.

Easy to wheel outside or wherever you want it in the shop. Not so good for puting in a vehicle

I put a few fire bricks in one end and slid the plate to the side for OA cutting and heating.

It's nice to be able put clamps etc. in the bottom tray too.

Kirk

Post Thanks / Like

My shop just got one of the Build Pro Max tables about 2 months ago with a bunch of the accessories, its absolutely amazing, makes fab so much faster!

Craigslist is a good resource too, got a nice welding table there just a few months ago for $80. 4" angle iron legs, wheels on the bottom, 1/4" steel plate on the top.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of these to use in the factory for welding. Its good because you can put the welder, or plasma cutter underneath, and use the top with piece of plate as a welding surface using the sides of the cart to catch most of the sparks. They aren't too heavy either, and will easily fit into a pick up , van , or SUV.

Name:  cart.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  53.3 KB

The only problem is they tend to collect stuff when left in a shop.

Unlike this...........

Name:  buildprotable.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  6.2 KB

Nice table Jon, but at 4FT x 8FT and Half a Ton (1300 Lbs) doesn't seem very portable. I think the $4900 might also be over the budget of the OP, who was waffling on spending $800 for a portable stick welder. But hey , you never know, it is a nice looking table.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    I have one of these to use in the factory for welding. Its good because you can put the welder, or plasma cutter underneath, and use the top with piece of plate as a welding surface using the sides of the cart to catch most of the sparks. They aren't too heavy either, and will easily fit into a pick up , van , or SUV.

Name:  cart.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  53.3 KB

I like the cart idea.

A piece of 1/4" plate with hardwood or ABS location "tabs" on the underside's corner would make it easier to transport and converted back to a cart when not needed for welding.

Perhaps a two or 3 inch overhang would be nice to accommodate clamping.

Also add 2 inch vertical receiver for vise (or)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Who makes the best Portable welding table ?

And if you do go the tool cart route Vaughn T’s suggestion for mods could be easily and economically applied.

Here’s a pic of a cart I extended the wheelbase on and added a heavier axle...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.powerbench.com/ The wife bought me one of these ror an early christmas present a couple of years ago at a farmshow, I was drooling but wouldn't spend the money. She disappeared later and when we left it was in the truck. Very handy and well made. I did have an Idea yesterday for the shooters, I have a shooting table forget the brand, but a chair with foldable legs that disassembles for transport, With a thicker top, should make a dandy one for tedious stuff.
    Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Post Thanks / Like

One option would be to get a cardboard card table and cover it with aluminum foil...it'd probably hold up better than some of those Chinese numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

Scaffolding casters are glorious if you want an easy rolling table, cart etc as they pivot, lock so they don't pivot, have large wheels, and have wheel brakes. They're only about 100 bucks for four leaving plenty of cash for clean steel.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope have found a table.

There is one thing about a table I found is weight is very helpful.
    A small table needs to around 150 to 250 pounds so use a hammer and part does not bounce.
    The folding tables are just to light for most jobs. Try a table on wheels.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jonath108 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I have been looking online for a portable welding table. Seems they run from $69.99 for HF to over $229. for other brands. I know I will need to replace any cheap hardware. Weight is a concern, so closer to 50 lbs with rollers will work.
    Any advice and opinions greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    The Klutch table that I showed is selling for $82.99 from Northern tool, it looks reasonably well made for light duty work. I often use an old black&decker workmate because I got it for free, and it really is light, sturdy, and very handy. My Ridgid "Tristand pipe vise" cost me over $350 and I think they list for over $500 now. Here's the miller version of the folding weld table:

Attachment 1727017

This one might be made from gold, because the list price at Grainger is like $470 !!!!

There are often times when it make sense to make your own, and other times your better off buying off the shelf and modifying. Knowing which usually comes from experience. I can say that at times I have gone overboard making a fixture/worktable , and my boss will ask "Are you making a master piece , I just need those brackets done today, c'mon."

"A good man always knows his limitations."

Whatever you buy, let us know how you like it.

Regards
    I have this same table that i bought 10 years ago. I love it and it has worked out perfectly for me in my little shop. Granted, I didn't that kind of money for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Workmate +4! I have an old aluminum one, and i love the dang thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an old table I made years ago for work out in the strippins. Its 2ftx3ft or pretty close to that,it has 3" angle iron legs with some 3 or 4inch straps wrapped around it and some angle iron running between the legs and the top plate was 3/8". Im not quite sure of the exact measurements of the angle iron stuff anymore, I built this thing about 1989 or so and right now Im too damn tired to run out to the barn and measure it all up. I made it about 2 foot or so high so I could set on a bucket or a small chair and work like a civilized ol miner. Back in the day my bony *** was pretty stout and I would pick it up and toss it in the back of the weld rig. I used to do teeth, tooth bases and hitches, drag chains, crowsfeet, and other small stuff on top of it. Some of that stuff was pretty damn heavy...pick up a hitch for a 13 yard dragilne bucket sometime you wish had a chain fall or a crane. I had a 20 yard bucket rolled upside down I used for a weld shop welded a few eyes up in the floor and hooked a chain fall I bought and did the deed like that after the first hitch I did. Any way that table never blinked when I was usin it. Just a thought if you wanna go that route it is somewhat portable with a bit of muscle

17. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have this Miller foldable table. Excellent for me in a crowded family garage, folding into a 3-4 inch package to stand up against something. Two wheels to allow it to be rolled in or out of position like a wheelbarrow. Works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing an useful post.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist