+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Experience using a fabric structure as a welding workshop?

Post Thanks / Like

Experience using a fabric structure as a welding workshop?

I was thinking of getting a fabric building for my worksite to accommodate any bad weather or wind we may experience. Right now we have some outdoor covers but I feel having an enclosed building would be ideal and I'd rather have something temporary. I was looking at a WeatherPort workshop. Never dealt with them but the buildings look nice.

Overall, I just wanted to ask here before I asked for some quotes. Pros and cons? Alternatives?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Experience using a fabric structure as a welding workshop?

I have a couple 14'x 24' from farmtek that I've had for a number of years.
    In the Pacific Northwest you never have enough covered space.
    Mine have held up well- one took a beating 10 yrs ago in a heavy snow. Mine
    are over gravel and use earth anchors.
    I've looked at the larger, heavier trussed ones.
    They are pretty spendy and, once you pour a slab, they aren't too portable and not sure they're any less than
    conventional structure.

But, they do go up quickly and I've been happy.

DB

Post Thanks / Like

I think they are a great alternative. That said I do not think it would be a good choice for a welding business. There would be 2 things I would do if I were to do it. First I would put it on a knee wall at least 2ft high and 4ft would be better. The second thing I would do is make it a lot bigger than I needed so all the welding would be done well away from the walls. I have a 16x40ft farmtek building and I think it is great. I use it for storage and have a gravel floor. I have actually contemplated using it for when I have to work on a semi trailer but I always come back to the sparks and slag burning the tarp material. I have had Mine up since 2005 and it looks as good now as it did when I put it up. I have pressure washed it a couple times to get moss and stuff of of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    I think they are a great alternative. That said I do not think it would be a good choice for a welding business. There would be 2 things I would do if I were to do it. First I would put it on a knee wall at least 2ft high and 4ft would be better. The second thing I would do is make it a lot bigger than I needed so all the welding would be done well away from the walls. I have a 16x40ft farmtek building and I think it is great. I use it for storage and have a gravel floor. I have actually contemplated using it for when I have to work on a semi trailer but I always come back to the sparks and slag burning the tarp material. I have had Mine up since 2005 and it looks as good now as it did when I put it up. I have pressure washed it a couple times to get moss and stuff of of it.
    Thanks. The fabric was something I wasn't so sure about unless the structure was large. That's why I was looking at the larger, heavier trussed ones like laparamour mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the larger structure is defenatly the way to go. The knee wall would keep anything hot from rolling over and touching the cover material. The structures are sturdy if put up correctly and would last at least 15 years. Another thing that could be done if you ned to work close to the fabric would be to hang a few fire blankets inside to deflect sparks and slag. The white really lets the light through and you probably would not need lighting unless you were going to use it at night.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep getting the FarmTEK catalogs and like their fancy marketing pictures. But I always stop to think that I have to erect them myself, and I could buy the materials for a conventional building and erect that at a similar cost. For flooring I would consider gravel with a bit of sand tamped down smooth, then covered with rubber barn mats. Not real cheap ($1.25 sq. foot), but goes in fast and can be moved. For the welding area can use steel plates instead of rubber mats.
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I was looking at pole buildings in one of the local lumber yards flyers today. The material for a nice 36x54 building with 14ft side walls was about $12750.00 The large fabric buildings are fairly expensive for what they are. The only thing is the wood frame. They do make spray on fire proofing for wood though. It is kind of expensive but easy to spray on with a pressurized sprayer.

Post Thanks / Like

that high roof looks like lots of wasted heat if any. we used the sprung structures and they were a maint nightmare. i don't think any of the fabric lasted ten years on ours.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    that high roof looks like lots of wasted heat if any. we used the sprung structures and they were a maint nightmare. i don't think any of the fabric lasted ten years on ours.
    Bingo. Most are not insulated and may be prone to condensation just like an un-insulated metal building. Nothing worse than raining in your shop. They are popular for ag because they are considered temporary and not taxed on square footage like other buildings.

Anyone in the NW using these as a shop? I've only seen them used for hay and equipment storage. I wonder how the electrical is handled? I assume in conduit but I wonder what other requirements they may have. Of course with proper planning most of that can go in the slab. But I see the price just climb. I just can't imagine putting that kind of money into a 20 yr building. Isn't the savings over convention building only like 20%? It doesn't pencil out for me unless it's a temporary, tax-free, basic shed. What am I missing?

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the thing most are missing. Building codes that you have to build to. Restriction by the govern body where they may allow a temporary shelter but not a build it's self. The property tax on a concrete pad is not much compared to building. So by adding a temporary shelter cost less up front plus the taxes ( property and write offs in a business) you do not to spend. Comes out to be a lot more than the difference in the long run. For most people do not stay in a home anymore than 10 to 15 years. depending on their age. So some outbuilding could not have the return when sales of the property. Also you can insulate them pretty good to keep heat in or out depending of the time of the season.
    Klutch 220si mig , stick, and dc tig
    Hobart 140
    AHP ALPHA 200X 2016
    Lotos LTP5000D
    Smith O/P

Post Thanks / Like

You could always go talk to my neighbor .... after about 120 days his ends are kinda there and the center has fell to the ground. I do not know why but I'm sure I'd not have one.
    Located In SE Oklahoma
    Lincoln Mig 135
    Hobart Ironman 230 Mig
    5x10 CNC Table with DTHC & FT
    Hypertherm PM65 on the table
    Miller Bobcat
    www.caneyagequipment.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blueriver View Post
    You could always go talk to my neighbor .... after about 120 days his ends are kinda there and the center has fell to the ground. I do not know why but I'm sure I'd not have one.
    It depends on the brand. Like everything else you can buy good one and you can buy junk. Mine has been up for 11 years in northern Wisconsin.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the best welders I know works out of giant military surplus tents. He built a nice metal shop and it burnt down....I think the old heavy canvas seemed to shed sparks.

Post Thanks / Like

So he works out of a GI Joe tent AFTER his shop burned down or his tent shop is what burned down?
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

Post Thanks / Like

No, he worked out of a tent (30' x 60'?) before he built a nice metal shop. The shop was full of magnesium jeep transmission parts when it caught fire, making it virtually impossible to put out.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,

I work with Lindome Structures (www.lindomestructures.com) and have a few comments on the responses in the thread. Fabric buildings are not all made equal - there are a lot of cheap off-shore models that are single hoop, thin walled tube that isn't engineered or designed for any sort of site specific loads like wind, snow and seismic. These tend to be the buildings that collapse after a heavy snow or blow over in high winds - they just don't have enough strength in the frames to deal with any sort of extreme weather. Better quality buildings tend to have a web-truss design and the manufacturers who focus on quality will have site specific engineering that meets local building code requirements. They should stand up to any weather system that a normally constructed building will handle so they offer worry free, long term usage.

Fabric is also very different between manufacturers. Cheaper structures use polyethelyne tarp (like what's available at most local hardware stores to cover your stuff). PE tends to be lighter weight and lower cost but will dry out over time and begin to wear along seams and at friction points. Better quality material would be a vinyl PVC which handles the UV and offers an extended lifespan and lower wear.

Both materials can be fire-rated (FR) or non-FR. The difference is that FR materials will not be a source of combustion so won't ignite in the case of a spark from a welder. What we normally do if a client is setting up a welding shop, is hang a seperate piece of material in front of the side wall to act as a welding screen and this avoids any issues or damage to the external fabric membrane.

Generally speaking, the "building in a box" kits that you might buy on-line are mostly offshore product and like most things, you get what you pay for. If you want a fabric building that will be safe, worry-free, strong and durable - talk to a manufacturer and ask questions regarding the materials and engineering before you buy. In the long run, the added cost will be worth it.

We work out of a fabric structure ourselves for part of our manufacturing line and can attest to the fact that its a great solution for workspace.

Happy to talk to anyone interested in more information.
    604-946-7966
    Lindome Structures

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously bigger the better.

I had a friend who ran his welding repair business out of one probably 35 feet wide. He was able to park a semi truck and trailer down the center where the welding would be done

Parts storage and workbenches were along the walls. All gouging was done outside.

Lots of natural light supplemented by LEDs.
    :

18. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist