+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What would be the amount of deflection or breaking strength of 1/4 2x2 square tubing

Post Thanks / Like

What would be the amount of deflection or breaking strength of 1/4 2x2 square tubing

I’m Reinforcing the front of my trailer so I can put a winch on the top headache rack board and winch stuff into the back.

If you had a L shape welded 2x2 1/4 square steel tubing that the bottom leg was 22 inches and top leg 32 Inches .

With the load Applied to the top of the 32 inch tubing in the direction of the shorter leg side what would be the amount of deflection pre pounds of weight?

It would be full pen mig welded
    Last edited by Bigrich954rr; 04-20-2021 at 03:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What would be the amount of deflection or breaking strength of 1/4 2x2 square tub

With a 32" lever arm, something would likely buckle,, to failure , ruining all of your strength calculations,,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What would be the amount of deflection or breaking strength of 1/4 2x2 square tub

So something like this:

Name:  TRAILER.png
Views: 2031
Size:  16.7 KB

If so, the moment (flexural) capacity of a 2" x 2" x 1/4", grade 50 ksi, square section is approx. 28.9 k.in (28,900 lbf.in)

For a 32" lever to applied load, P, that equates to 900 lbf, applied horizontally (28,900 lbf.in/32" = 900 lbf)

If 900 lbf was applied horizontally in the structural model/simplification above, the horizontal displacement/deflection would be approx. 0.77".

BUT, you need to resist the base moment around the corner of the vert/horiz connection. I suggest gusset plates.

You also need to make sure the horizontal section is sufficiently connected to the base.

And you also need to make sure it is braced for the out-of-plane direction, too.
    LINCOLN
    Square Wave TIG 200
    Power MIG 210 MP
    Ranger 330 MPX

MILLER
    Thunderbolt AC/DC

HYPERTHERM
    Powermax 190C
    Powermax 45XP

HOUGAN
    HMD 130
    HMD 505

FEIN/SLUGGER
    14" COLD METAL CHOP SAW
    9" COLD METAL HAND-HELD SAW

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much that’s a lot weaker then I was Expecting.
    I’m gonna post some pics when I get home tonight so you guys can see the overall picture what I’m doing.

I Planned for a gusset plate but the inside corner is butting up to a 2 x 6 steel frame so the gusset will be a thicker L

Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered putting a pulley/roller/sheave in the bottom corner so the cable/strap is close to the floor and the pull from the winch is straight down on the post and the lateral pull is near the corner?
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

I want to keep it higher to pulls things up the ramps the trailer sits high.

The painted part will mount to the front inside The unpainted still needs to be finish it will mount to the front outside though bolted and welded on the bottom frame.

It’s a dump trailer and it’s half raised
    The eye bolts are made to have a chain run though them and hook to the two middle chain hooks for heavy things . Name:  1626471F-FE68-459D-AFA9-A6F30C5D9D61.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  135.3 KBName:  99E28F10-3003-40A5-A972-DE88A422EE5D.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  207.2 KBName:  5126A03C-14D4-4A2A-88FA-14EDE082A09A.jpg
Views: 1650
Size:  155.1 KBName:  5C464359-1AF0-4196-9BC6-D578D3374F00.jpg
Views: 1669
Size:  149.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrich954rr View Post
    I want to keep it higher to pulls things up the ramps the trailer sits high.

The painted part will mount to the front inside The unpainted still needs to be finish it will mount to the front outside though bolted and welded on the bottom frame.

It’s a dump trailer and it’s half raised
    The eye bolts are made to have a chain run though them and hook to the two middle chain hooks for heavy things . Name:  1626471F-FE68-459D-AFA9-A6F30C5D9D61.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  135.3 KBName:  99E28F10-3003-40A5-A972-DE88A422EE5D.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  207.2 KBName:  5126A03C-14D4-4A2A-88FA-14EDE082A09A.jpg
Views: 1650
Size:  155.1 KBName:  5C464359-1AF0-4196-9BC6-D578D3374F00.jpg
Views: 1669
Size:  149.4 KB
    Guys rip out the floor-mounted winches, box, and all from the bed, with the wench below the bed. I usually make a thicker box and then it gets welded in.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    Guys rip out the floor-mounted winches, box, and all from the bed, with the wench below the bed. I usually make a thicker box and then it gets welded in.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

So what’s your thoughts on my setup ?

I did weld a 3/8 2 inch steel Reinforcement on the bottom of my L to span the weld and connect all sides of the box to the lower L part

The winch will mount on middle top and center. On the middle chain hook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrich954rr View Post
    So what’s your thoughts on my setup ?

I did weld a 3/8 2 inch steel Reinforcement on the bottom of my L to span the weld and connect all sides of the box to the lower L part

The winch will mount on middle top and center. On the middle chain hook
    It will only be as strong as that piece with the hooks, can support it straight up and down. As soon as the winch is loaded, the force because of the gusset behind will transfer the force to the horizontal piece with the hooks and all the force will be almost straight down on that horizontal piece. It will put a lot of stress on that gusset weld.

It would almost be the same as mounting your winch in the front of the trailer and putting a pulley to let the cable ride through on that center support with the hooks. That would be better as it would remove some of the horizontal movement, from the front to the back of the truck as the winch is loaded with pressure. The pressure would be down on the support with the hooks. It may work for some time but with a cable creating the stress I would not want to stand near it loaded, because that center support will flex and create spring tension.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist