Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: What would be the amount of deflection or breaking strength of 1/4 2x2 square tubing

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    center NJ
    Posts
    310
    Post Thanks / Like

    What would be the amount of deflection or breaking strength of 1/4 2x2 square tubing

    Iím Reinforcing the front of my trailer so I can put a winch on the top headache rack board and winch stuff into the back.


    If you had a L shape welded 2x2 1/4 square steel tubing that the bottom leg was 22 inches and top leg 32 Inches .

    With the load Applied to the top of the 32 inch tubing in the direction of the shorter leg side what would be the amount of deflection pre pounds of weight?


    It would be full pen mig welded
    Last edited by Bigrich954rr; 04-20-2021 at 03:07 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Near Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would be the amount of deflection or breaking strength of 1/4 2x2 square tub

    With a 32" lever arm, something would likely buckle,, to failure , ruining all of your strength calculations,,

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would be the amount of deflection or breaking strength of 1/4 2x2 square tub

    So something like this:

    Name:  TRAILER.png
Views: 258
Size:  16.7 KB

    If so, the moment (flexural) capacity of a 2" x 2" x 1/4", grade 50 ksi, square section is approx. 28.9 k.in (28,900 lbf.in)

    For a 32" lever to applied load, P, that equates to 900 lbf, applied horizontally (28,900 lbf.in/32" = 900 lbf)

    If 900 lbf was applied horizontally in the structural model/simplification above, the horizontal displacement/deflection would be approx. 0.77".

    BUT, you need to resist the base moment around the corner of the vert/horiz connection. I suggest gusset plates.

    You also need to make sure the horizontal section is sufficiently connected to the base.

    And you also need to make sure it is braced for the out-of-plane direction, too.
    LINCOLN
    Square Wave TIG 200
    Power MIG 210 MP
    Ranger 330 MPX

    MILLER
    Thunderbolt AC/DC

    HYPERTHERM
    Powermax 190C
    Powermax 45XP

    HOUGAN
    HMD 130
    HMD 505

    FEIN/SLUGGER
    14" COLD METAL CHOP SAW
    9" COLD METAL HAND-HELD SAW

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    center NJ
    Posts
    310
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would be the amount of deflection or breaking strength of 1/4 2x2 square tub

    Thank you very much thatís a lot weaker then I was Expecting.
    Iím gonna post some pics when I get home tonight so you guys can see the overall picture what Iím doing.

    I Planned for a gusset plate but the inside corner is butting up to a 2 x 6 steel frame so the gusset will be a thicker L

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,699
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would be the amount of deflection or breaking strength of 1/4 2x2 square tub

    Have you considered putting a pulley/roller/sheave in the bottom corner so the cable/strap is close to the floor and the pull from the winch is straight down on the post and the lateral pull is near the corner?
    ---Meltedmetal

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    center NJ
    Posts
    310
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would be the amount of deflection or breaking strength of 1/4 2x2 square tub

    I want to keep it higher to pulls things up the ramps the trailer sits high.

    The painted part will mount to the front inside The unpainted still needs to be finish it will mount to the front outside though bolted and welded on the bottom frame.

    Itís a dump trailer and itís half raised
    The eye bolts are made to have a chain run though them and hook to the two middle chain hooks for heavy things . Name:  1626471F-FE68-459D-AFA9-A6F30C5D9D61.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  135.3 KBName:  99E28F10-3003-40A5-A972-DE88A422EE5D.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  207.2 KBName:  5126A03C-14D4-4A2A-88FA-14EDE082A09A.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  155.1 KBName:  5C464359-1AF0-4196-9BC6-D578D3374F00.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  149.4 KB

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would be the amount of deflection or breaking strength of 1/4 2x2 square tub

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrich954rr View Post
    I want to keep it higher to pulls things up the ramps the trailer sits high.

    The painted part will mount to the front inside The unpainted still needs to be finish it will mount to the front outside though bolted and welded on the bottom frame.

    Itís a dump trailer and itís half raised
    The eye bolts are made to have a chain run though them and hook to the two middle chain hooks for heavy things . Name:  1626471F-FE68-459D-AFA9-A6F30C5D9D61.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  135.3 KBName:  99E28F10-3003-40A5-A972-DE88A422EE5D.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  207.2 KBName:  5126A03C-14D4-4A2A-88FA-14EDE082A09A.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  155.1 KBName:  5C464359-1AF0-4196-9BC6-D578D3374F00.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  149.4 KB
    Guys rip out the floor-mounted winches, box, and all from the bed, with the wench below the bed. I usually make a thicker box and then it gets welded in.

    Sincerely,

    William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    center NJ
    Posts
    310
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would be the amount of deflection or breaking strength of 1/4 2x2 square tub

    Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    Guys rip out the floor-mounted winches, box, and all from the bed, with the wench below the bed. I usually make a thicker box and then it gets welded in.

    Sincerely,

    William McCormick

    So whatís your thoughts on my setup ?

    I did weld a 3/8 2 inch steel Reinforcement on the bottom of my L to span the weld and connect all sides of the box to the lower L part


    The winch will mount on middle top and center. On the middle chain hook

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would be the amount of deflection or breaking strength of 1/4 2x2 square tub

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrich954rr View Post
    So whatís your thoughts on my setup ?

    I did weld a 3/8 2 inch steel Reinforcement on the bottom of my L to span the weld and connect all sides of the box to the lower L part


    The winch will mount on middle top and center. On the middle chain hook
    It will only be as strong as that piece with the hooks, can support it straight up and down. As soon as the winch is loaded, the force because of the gusset behind will transfer the force to the horizontal piece with the hooks and all the force will be almost straight down on that horizontal piece. It will put a lot of stress on that gusset weld.

    It would almost be the same as mounting your winch in the front of the trailer and putting a pulley to let the cable ride through on that center support with the hooks. That would be better as it would remove some of the horizontal movement, from the front to the back of the truck as the winch is loaded with pressure. The pressure would be down on the support with the hooks. It may work for some time but with a cable creating the stress I would not want to stand near it loaded, because that center support will flex and create spring tension.

    Sincerely,

    William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,623,730,917.60548 seconds with 14 queries