Thread: Total Noob question

Post Thanks / Like

Total Noob question

Hello all and thanks for taking the time to read my post.

I got (am getting) a Miller Multimatic 220 and want to mig weld 3/8 plate with it (top end of the range). Do I need to buy a new mig gun already? If so which one? How do I know what guns fit the MM220?

This is not for structural, just for heavy ornaments (yard art, which is how I spouse approval).

It doesn't look like this little box has the muscle to do Dual-Shield or Self-Shielded Flux Cored
    https://www.millerwelds.com/resource...ing-calculator

But it does look like I might be able to get away with .035" wire at 420-520 ipm abd CO2.

I assume I am wrong.. to many many things. Please enlighten me.

Thanks,

AJH

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Total Noob question

I'm not familiar with the new miller find but I'm sure it will be fine. If you observe the machines duty cycle should be no issue. If you were running gas shielded flux core it may be an issue. It takes a lot of heat to wreck a mig gun and you would likely get uncomfortable before that. Co2 also has more of a cooling effect than argon blends when using an air cooled mig gun.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless your 3/8" yard art really requires deep penetrating 100 percent welds... I think you will be just fine with CO2 and .035 wire. Play with it a bit to where you have good fusion and a flat bead and your in. Try about 19.5 volts and 200 IPM for a start and it should stick things together just fine. Dual shield would be a waste of money.

Post Thanks / Like

So just to be clear, the MDX™-100 MIG gun is rated at 100 amps, but I can set it higher than that and it is not going to burn up, it's just going to heat up and I won't want to hold it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thenewguy299 View Post
    So just to be clear, the MDX™-100 MIG gun is rated at 100 amps, but I can set it higher than that and it is not going to burn up, it's just going to heat up and I won't want to hold it.
    Seriously, what might be your actual duty cycle? If that gun has time to cool between welds it should be fine. If you burn it... move to the next bigger one.
    Overthinking before you try it is going nowhere. Possibly you may want to go with .030 wire, that would stay closer to the gun rating.

Post Thanks / Like

I've welded 3/8"withmy old MM175. Ground a bevel on both sides and did it with two passes. That was with .023 wire and C25. Can't remember what the settings were but it burned in plenty hot with no damage to the gun.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

A friend i work with just got one of those multimatic's last year. He built a few boat trailers with it and says it gets hot on 1/4" channel when welding a while with it. Never figured out why such a small gun on a decent machine. I don't think the multimatic would be a good candidate for dual shield. Especially with that gun. I run dual shield through my roughneck 4015's and they get pretty warm as it is. Going to loan my spare 4015 to my friend sometime to see if it will fit in the Multimatic. He wants to find a different mig gun too. I think the MDX tips are different than the Fastip's too but i could be wrong. They look similar but i thought the MDX ones were smaller.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ferrret3238 View Post
    A friend i work with just got one of those multimatic's last year. He built a few boat trailers with it and says it gets hot on 1/4" channel when welding a while with it. Never figured out why such a small gun on a decent machine. I don't think the multimatic would be a good candidate for dual shield. Especially with that gun. I run dual shield through my roughneck 4015's and they get pretty warm as it is. Going to loan my spare 4015 to my friend sometime to see if it will fit in the Multimatic. He wants to find a different mig gun too. I think the MDX tips are different than the Fastip's too but i could be wrong. They look similar but i thought the MDX ones were smaller.

I don't need duty cycle, but I want my gear to last. This is a major investment for me and I'm buying a welder and putting off the mill (I can't justify both to senior management, she thinks we need things like retirement and vacations).

The only thing I've seen that says it will specifically fit the MM220 is the something called a "Bernard MIG Gun - 300 amp Q-Gun Q3015AE8XM".

My welds should mostly be done in short 1" to 2" stiches. I've seen a lot of people saying that for safety I should replace the ground clamp ASAP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Seriously, what might be your actual duty cycle? If that gun has time to cool between welds it should be fine. If you burn it... move to the next bigger one.
    Overthinking before you try it is going nowhere. Possibly you may want to go with .030 wire, that would stay closer to the gun rating.
    Overthinking is what is killing me, you are right. I want to try to learn AC TIG (eventually) so that's why the MM220 is in my shopping cart. But while I am walking around the store (Internet) I am thinking I can get better gear with the Miller Multimatic 235 w/Dual Cylinder & TIG Kit Package 951847 for a bit less. If I can TIG steel and get decent at it I can move to a dedicated AC TIG machine later.

If I suck at it and my son won't try to learn it, then I will have to sell it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thenewguy299 View Post
    Overthinking is what is killing me, you are right. I want to try to learn AC TIG (eventually) so that's why the MM220 is in my shopping cart. But while I am walking around the store (Internet) I am thinking I can get better gear with the Miller Multimatic 235 w/Dual Cylinder & TIG Kit Package 951847 for a bit less. If I can TIG steel and get decent at it I can move to a dedicated AC TIG machine later.

If I suck at it and my son won't try to learn it, then I will have to sell it.
    In my opinion that's a better plan. The 220 has some limitations, especially as far as mig is concerned. I'm sure there are limitations as well regarding AC tig. Anyway good luck however you decide.

Post Thanks / Like

H'mmm, I prefer dedicated machines.
    Maybe consider the Miller 211 for your MIG.
    That's a popular machine here. Many have the 211 first generation before the current inverters. I love mine and it does everything with. 030 wire and 75/25 .
    Check Craigslist or facebook marketplace for an older 211. If found, don't hesitate.
    You can get a AC/DC stick machine and do tig without a foot pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I got (am getting) a Miller Multimatic 220 and want to mig weld 3/8 plate with it (top end of the range). Do I need to buy a new mig gun already? If so which one? How do I know what guns fit the MM220?

This is not for structural, just for heavy ornaments (yard art, which is how I spouse approval).
    No, you don't need a new MIG gun. I would download and read the owners manual to answer at least some of your questions: https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow...81426C_MIL.pdf

Per the door chart in the owners manual, the machine will weld 3/8ths inch mild steel using 0.030 or 0.035 wire and C25 or C100 gas. It will also weld 3/8ths using self shielded flux core in 0.035 or 0.045 wire diameters. MIG Guns have duty cycles just like the power supplies do. My guess is the machine will likely hit thermal overload before your MIG gun begins to overheat. For yard art, this machine is fine. 230 amps is nothing to sneeze at, just stay within the limits of the machine's duty cycle.

It doesn't look like this little box has the muscle to do Dual-Shield or Self-Shielded Flux Cored

But it does look like I might be able to get away with .035" wire at 420-520 ipm abd CO2.

These calculators are notoriously inaccurate. The Multimatic 220 has more than enough sack to run 0.035 gas shielded flux core easily and will likely be able to run 0.045 gas shielded wire for short periods of time (you will be near the max out of the machine most likely)
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I run all bernard guns on all my millers. They work out well. I have 200, 300, and 1 400 amp gun.

I run the 200s on my 2 miller passport plus with mostly a 1/4" setting.

The only thing I dont like about the bernard guns is the controls wires are just crimp fittings instead of actually hardwired. That can be fixed by just electrical tapping the wires to the bottom of the cable support.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You will find CO2 will give more spatter than 75/25. Also, if you want to do your welding outside you might prefer flux core without gas. I believe you could run .035" dual shield, but as 12V71 said, it'd be a waste of money for art, you don't need a whole lot of strength.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.