+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Invision 352mpa troubles

Post Thanks / Like

Invision 352mpa troubles

Invision 352MPA gave up on me (Cross post to millers Forum)

[COLOR=#656A6D !important]Today, 01:14 PM

[/COLOR]

Serial MD210471U
    Bought the machine used, worked well for a few weeks and then it would spark and the weld output (blue) light would stay lit but the voltage dropped to 0, and the wire would just feed, no weld or spark.

obtained a technical manual for the invision 350mpa which is close but not exactly what I need here. Machine is clean and beautiful on the inside, at some point someone replaced the circuit breaker on the back and left the old inside the machine, but they both check out well and the feeder seems to be working just fine (S74mpa plus dual)

here is what I'm seeing so far on Pre power
    Section 8-5 all in spec.
    boost igbt, snubber, input SCR, input Diode all good

8-7
    Boost Snubber, ain Boost, Inverter IGBT, Snubber IGBT, Inverter gate d2 cathode all good, I dont have a D4, D10, or D8 to check

8-8
    Power sitch good

8-9
    output diodes good

8-12 PC1 control power circuit all in spec.

8-14
    Buck IGBT u6 pin3 RC2 pin 1 reads 1.051 spec .20-.90
    don't have a D53, D60 and 61 in the same area of PC1 are ok

8-16
    All in spec except:
    Snubber gate drive IC U13 u13 pin 5 to rc9 pin 4(+15v) reads .009, spec .10-.30

Snubber gate drive IC U13 u13 pin 7 to rc9 pin 4(+15v) reads .798, spec. .10-.30

8-18
    Boost gate protection Diode D12 reads open both ways
    no Diode D13
    Inverter gate protection diode D1 reads open both ways
    Inverter gate protection diode D2 reads 1.408 spec. .20-.90
    ​​​​​​​Inverter gate protection diode D3 reads 1.408 spec. .20-.90
    all others ok or not on my machine.

I greatly any input or direction here. I believe the machine to be out of Warranty, is this correct? also all components I can see look to be in perfect condition. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Invision 352mpa troubles

2013 machine.
    Suggest you find the right manual. ordering the wrong parts will be very costly.
    May need to take it into a Miller authorized shop and have them test it.
    or maybe you can work out a deal with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, I can’t seem to find the manual for the 352mpa. The 350mpa is very similar, but not exactly the same. It’s all I have at this point Till one shows up on eBay or an awesome forum member sends it my way.

Post Thanks / Like

Update, it Works!!!!!!!

Some of my earlier tests on what I thought were diodes were actually 600W translent voltage supressors, so I now believe all the primary power, igbts, etc. all ok. the machine even sounds all buzzy and healthy like it has in the past and like my Dynasty. I believe what I have here is a control side issue that may be easier to figure out with a little help.

Recap, machine seems to be working normally and sounds healthy. when i pull the trigger on the mig gun wire comes out, blue output light comes on, but no sparks or attempts to weld, and the voltage on the machine meter drops to 0 from whatever the preset voltage was.

Checked pin 5 on RC 6 (Output enable) should have +12.5v DC referenced to ground or pin 14, actually have 4.21v DC when the machine is at idle.
    Well, just went and retested pin 5 and got a reading of 12.5v, and the damn thing is working! Guessing a loose connection I somehow tested into compliance!

Anyhow, thanks for the help here, if you find yourself in my spot double check all the connections! Carefully! Hopefully it lasts, I just whish I knew what I did to to make it work. I bleed Blue, and my full faith has been restored in Miller here. I am sure when the machine was not working pin 5 was reading 4.21v. any clue what would cause that? where does that 12.5v come from?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist