Thread: Lincoln 210MP VS 225 AC/DC

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln 210MP VS 225 AC/DC

Okay first off I am glad to find an organized forum to ask questions on specific welding questions.
    I am a new hobby welder / part time blacksmith who started with a simple flux core 120 volt welder. I purchased a Lincoln 225 AC welder after acquiring 200 pounds of 7018 1/8" (I think), 6011 3/32", assortment of stainless steel welding rods, etc....
    I found starting out the AC 225 was hard to learn on the rods I had and the flux core welder was messy. I did some research and ended up buying an AC to DC rectifier and dinse fittings and converted my AC 225 to an AC/DC 225 that I can choose different polarity stick welding.

After discovering I loved welding and wanted to expand on the equipment I had, I ended up buying a and saved $1K on a Lincoln 210 MP.

The only thing it did not come with is the TIG welding package. My thought is to sell the original flux core mig and converted Lincoln 225 AC to but the TIG package and a 100% argon gas tank.

Is there any limitations on the 210 that would make me want to keep the converted 225? or would I be losing out in any way by selling it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln 210MP VS 225 AC/DC

Do you weld aluminum? If so the 210mp only does that with the spool gun, unless you have helium. It is a DC only scratch start tig machine. That being said I love mine. It is a good mig setup, that can arc and tig weld. There is no high frequency start.

I have a Thermal Arc that I tig with... I can tig with my 210mp, but it isn't as easy as with high frequency start. Nor can it do the wee bit of aluminum that I do weld.
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

I have not done any aluminum welding yet but I may in the future. I acquired a number of aluminum panels and so far have used them to build an ATV trailer, a welding machine cabinet and line the walls of my smithy I am building. Out side of what I have already done I probably wont do any more aluminum building.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like my 210MP but it does not like 6010 rod. I'd keep your AC/DC machine for 6010 if that is a rod that you will use often.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    I really like my 210MP but it does not like 6010 rod. I'd keep your AC/DC machine for 6010 if that is a rod that you will use often.
    Thanks
    Any idea if the 210 is limited in any other way to the 225. Like will it not weld thicker gauge steel or run without interruption? I feel there has got to be some reason why the 225 weighs 100 pounds and the 210 is only 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Baewolf View Post
    Thanks
    Any idea if the 210 is limited in any other way to the 225. Like will it not weld thicker gauge steel or run without interruption? I feel there has got to be some reason why the 225 weighs 100 pounds and the 210 is only 40
    The 225 is a transformer machine...think a big hunk of copper/aluminum/steel and that's why it's heavy. The 210 is an inverter machine which uses digital electrical components to create the power....far lighter.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

As Bart said regarding the weight---different technology. The 210 MP will burn 1/8" sticks all day long and unless your into some serious heavy construction its likely all you'll need. I have one and I like it. Don't worry about the 6010 thing it will burn 6011 fine. It is a decent MIG welder, albeit a small one, in the world of MIG welding. A DC only lift start TIG welder. Like any machine it has its limitations. You won't reasonably be doing much AC TIG welding with that AC225 anyway so I wouldn't be too concerned about the loss of AC. Do not physically abuse it. I was told when I bought mine that if I broke the main knob off the front(they'd seen a couple broken) it would be $1000.00 CDN to repair and not covered by warranty.
    I still have 3 AC welders and I gave one away to my son-in-law. I never use them. YMMV
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    Good answers above from MeltedMetal and G-man Bart. If you don't use 6010, I'd let go of your older machine.
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    Good answers above from MeltedMetal and G-man Bart. If you don't use 6010, I'd let go of your older machine.
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    Thank you all for your advise and time. I figure I will end up selling the 225 and the original flux core 110 mig welder I first purchased. I will surely have more questions in the future.