+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Do not use for overhead welding..."

Post Thanks / Like

"Do not use for overhead welding..."

For the past 6 or 7 years I've had a Miller Digital Performance welding helmet that has served me well. I went through a year of welding school with it, and have burned a couple of tons of rods at home with it. It's my default go-to helmet. The other day I was reading a little label stuck on the inside of it with a bunch of the usual warnings and legal copy. Then I noticed a line, "do not use this helmet for welding in the overhead position," or something similar. Why on earth does it say that??? I have done a little overhead welding - not much - and never had a problem.
    Name:  helmet.JPG
Views: 1960
Size:  38.7 KB
    -Ruark
    "Become one with the puddle, grasshopper" - Welding Instructor
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Do not use for overhead welding..."

Most helmets don’t offer enough coverage over the top and around the sides of your head. That’s why the fibre metal pipeline helmets are still used
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

3. Likes farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like more CYA!!
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

I have had BBs melt through my classic miller helmet. Some black epoxy and it was back in business. As thin as they are i could certainly see more issues with higher amperage and heavier spatter.

6. Likes whtbaron, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When welding overhead, slag will melt the lens cover, and penetrate to the AD cartridge......ruining either the cartridge film, or the little solar panel. I've burned the gaskets on the cover plate on my Jackson True Sight when welding overhead. The older Homer Hoods were better designed for overhead.

Oh yeah...........I have some "dead spots" on an older Jackson cartridge where the slag melted the lens cover, and ruined a spot on the cartridge. Had to replace the cartridge because it let light in at those points. That gets real expensive.
    Last edited by farmersammm; 04-23-2021 at 07:53 AM.

8. Likes lugweld, farmall, BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just about evry weldin hood Ive seen has that warning, probably just to prevent getting sued over a burn

10. Likes farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmshop View Post
    Most helmets don’t offer enough coverage over the top and around the sides of your head. That’s why the fibre metal pipeline helmets are still used
    I love those since they're so light and my neck is destroyed. I trim them using an broken portaband blade to mark the cuts for maximum chin tuck then glue a back flap cut from an old Tillman TIG glove to it using 3M 5200 marine adhesive sealant (glorious stuff and available in small tubes).

12. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd guess it's more so the AD lens doesn't get damaged and Miller won't give warranty. Burns are part of welding unfortunately.

14. Likes BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I'm going out on a limb here...................................

The average AD hood is made for those who really don't do a lot of overhead welding. I'm serious.

They[re wonderful for most stuff, but they're not made for serious overhead welding...........where slag falls down in your face. The old Homer hoods were made for this, and should actually be used for this kinda welding.

The AD hood falls on its face when it comes to actual real world welding. I guess I had to say it. I can tell you from experience. They don't measure up to all conditions.

Overhead is a weird thing. I'ts a commitment thing. You strike the arc, and take what it gives you. Leathers, buttoned up at the collar, etc.......... You just take it. You're gonna get burned............you just know it, and you accept it.

16. Likes N2 Welding, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Hey, I'm going out on a limb here...................................

The average AD hood is made for those who really don't do a lot of overhead welding. I'm serious.

They[re wonderful for most stuff, but they're not made for serious overhead welding...........where slag falls down in your face. The old Homer hoods were made for this, and should actually be used for this kinda welding.

The AD hood falls on its face when it comes to actual real world welding. I guess I had to say it. I can tell you from experience. They don't measure up to all conditions.

Overhead is a weird thing. I'ts a commitment thing. You strike the arc, and take what it gives you. Leathers, buttoned up at the collar, etc.......... You just take it. You're gonna get burned............you just know it, and you accept it.
    Yup...you wanna be a real world welder and do it all you got to take the not so nice stuff that goes with it, like my son in law would say to the boys in wrestlin practice....Suck it up Buttercup.

Those new weld hoods are great for productiion work, but yeah they dont hold up for heavy duty stuff for very long, get an old school Fibremetal or Jackson hood for the heavy work, and I doubt that you will ever find a weld hood that is recommended for overhead welding.

Get an education real fast in overhead work in this busness use of these in overhead work

Name:  95123 gouging tip.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  13.3 KB

I know it aint for welding but its one of the things I gotta do on occasion
    Last edited by Popeye an old miner; 06-15-2021 at 04:15 AM.

18. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a classic safety reminder...

Post Thanks / Like

Vertical and overhead welding are more difficult because you're working against gravity
    So when it's possible try not to use these positions so you won't burn yourself!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess............................ But about 90% of all welding is out of position.

Post Thanks / Like

Where a hat or put leather on back side of hood or you will ball on top. I also have a leather helmet ⛑ for overhead in time places.
    The best money is over head.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
    For the past 6 or 7 years I've had a Miller Digital Performance welding helmet that has served me well. I went through a year of welding school with it, and have burned a couple of tons of rods at home with it. It's my default go-to helmet. The other day I was reading a little label stuck on the inside of it with a bunch of the usual warnings and legal copy. Then I noticed a line, "do not use this helmet for welding in the overhead position," or something similar. Why on earth does it say that??? I have done a little overhead welding - not much - and never had a problem.
    Name:  helmet.JPG
Views: 1960
Size:  38.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    Yup...you wanna be a real world welder and do it all you got to take the not so nice stuff that goes with it, like my son in law would say to the boys in wrestlin practice....Suck it up Buttercup.

Those new weld hoods are great for productiion work, but yeah they dont hold up for heavy duty stuff for very long, get an old school Fibremetal or Jackson hood for the heavy work, and I doubt that you will ever find a weld hood that is recommended for overhead welding.

Get an education real fast in overhead work in this busness use of these in overhead work

Name:  95123 gouging tip.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  13.3 KB

I know it aint for welding but its one of the things I gotta do on occasion
    Nothing worse than over head torch cutting.

Post Thanks / Like

Any thing with welding or cutting is not good day. But charge for over head and help the bad day and wear a lot of leather.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Nothing worse than over head torch cutting.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist