Thread: Headgear woes. Jackson and Miller

Post Thanks / Like

Headgear woes. Jackson and Miller

I've had this old Jackson hood my father-in-law gave me about 10 years ago. He has had it since the 70's I believe. The headgear broke and I threw it out. I bought the Jackson 370 headgear for it and am wondering if I can make it work right. I need to drill indexing holes on each side. I'm wondering if they will hold up or just wallow out. I want to use it for overhead and rough and dirty work. I might cut it up and add a leather apron like I did my miller.

Now on my miller infinity hood I despise the fancy headgear. The teeth in the adjuster strip out and have to be replaced constantly and I'm tired of dealing with it. I love the optical part of the hood. The headgear blows. Anyone know what a better swap would be? My LWS's don't keep a variety of anything so I can't go and see what I like. I have to rely on pictures.

Here are some pics. The Jackson hood and my miller infinity with the apron for fun.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headgear woes. Jackson and Miller

Can't help you with the Jackson, BUT I'm going to second you on Miller headgear. My hat size is 7 7/8", the Miller headgear with a welders cap never holds secure at that point, it's at the end of it's range and the teeth strip out in short order.

3. Likes liberty_metal_worx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Get a Miller 770246. All Miller headgears are compatible forward and backwards.

5. Likes liberty_metal_worx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwguy3 View Post
    Get a Miller 770246. All Miller headgears are compatible forward and backwards.
    Thanks. I did not know that. Will check that out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by liberty_metal_worx View Post
    I've had this old Jackson hood my father-in-law gave me about 10 years ago. He has had it since the 70's I believe. The headgear broke and I threw it out. I bought the Jackson 370 headgear for it and am wondering if I can make it work right. I need to drill indexing holes on each side. I'm wondering if they will hold up or just wallow out. I want to use it for overhead and rough and dirty work. I might cut it up and add a leather apron like I did my miller.

I'm contemplating the same thing. For whatever reason I thought the new Jackson headgear that everyone seems to like would just drop into an old Jackson hood.
    On my Huntsman I need to keep the side knobs so loose for it to fall out of the top notch with a nod it makes the drop into the bottom stop fairly violent compared to hoods without those notches that need healthy tension on the side knobs to stay up. I think it'll be more violent with a heavier hood... Not sure how much those O-rings in the 370 help with that...
    I was thinking about cutting the nubs off the pivot stops on the 370 and drilling holes in their place for a small screw or bolt. Then cutting a slot in the hood. So, I could position it where I like and clamp it in place... but that has the potential to ruin both hood and headgear

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am super happy with the 370 headgear on my old Jackson Bender(or sugar scoop). It stays up better than any old style hood and snaps down perfectly. I don't even have the knobs real tight. I love the idea of the o-rings because I have plenty on hand. I think it's the nicest headgear I've used. My 7yo daughter gave it her seal of approval. She had to wear it while watching me burning some 7018 and I didn't get it back for a couple hours.

It works so much better than the miller headgear that never stays up. I'm contemplating on fitting it with the same headgear.

I've been using the old bender hood in the shop this past week. I am enjoying welding with a passive lens more than ever. I will get some pics of the mod when I get to the shop today. It was very simple. Even for me. And I think the holes I drilled will last as long as the hood itself.

Last edited by liberty_metal_worx; 05-02-2021 at 10:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are pics of the Jackson headgear "retro-fit". Ka-Bar was feeling photogenic today. He usually scrams when he hears a camera.

10. Likes Bob E., whtbaron liked this post