+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New guy from AL

Post Thanks / Like

New guy from AL

Hey guys. Recently retired from 21 years military service and just took up welding. Lots to learn about welding and lots to practice before I get to be "good". Hope to learn a lot here and improve my skills.

Decided to retire in AL. I like it here, other than the humidity. A lot of people in Alabama are dumbfounded why a California guy would ever want to live in the South. I just tell them "I'm a political refugee!" and that is usually sufficient enough of an explanation.

My latest welder purchase was such a disappointment. I found a used ESAB welder with all the bells and whistles for a song. Got it delivered only to find 3 phase on the input plate. Such a noob mistake! I'm not too sad since I should be able to sell it locally to someone in the industrial sector and get my money back, but I sure was looking forward to using it.

I'm looking into maybe making a gas powered 3 phase generator just so I can use it. Maybe someone more knowledgeable might be able to give me some good advise? I got a lathe and milling machine which both use 3ph but I went the VFD route for those. I was thinking if I got a powerful enough gas motor, I could make a collar to connect the output shaft of the gas motor to a 3 phase motor to supply the power to the welder. Isn't that how gas welders like lincoln rangers and miller bobcats work?

I have a lifelong love or learning and get bored easily, (Oh look a squirrel) so I tend to switch back and forth from one interest to another, but I always come back full circle to my previous projects that I start eventually.

Anyways, it didn't make sense to lurk and read and not make a profile so I can post questions, etc. so that's why I'm here. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New guy from AL

Welcome

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Andre,

You will find lots of vets on this site. And there are a lot of knowledgeable guys and gals who are quick to give you good advice.

Read and look for your basic questions already answered in previous threads then post your project or question for specific advice. The Search function works pretty good.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you are welding soon!
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

Post Thanks / Like

Update: Got a job as a welder for Utility trailers. It's a family owned company that's been in operation for almost 100 years. They manufacture flatbed trailers for 18 wheeler trucks. I'm super happy to be practicing what I love to do and get paid for it! They started me off making "small" parts.

My first week, all my little accessory muscles in my back, shoulders, legs, and arms were sore, from all the repetitive lifting and motions, but I finished week 2 on Friday and my body has acclimatized to the extra work. The boss ran out of raw materials to give me to make parts, so I worked on helping out the assembly line yesterday. Monday I'll be laying beads on the trailer frames.

The pay is decent for this area too, with a raise after the probation period, and every 6 months after! I'm not doing this job for the pay though. I want the experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see you are on the road to get the experience you wanted.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist