Thread: Square Wave 175 vs 200

Post Thanks / Like

Square Wave 175 vs 200

I have a Square Wave 175, and older transformer machine that is big, heavy, and power hungry...and really limited on its output (compared to its size). I have a chance to pick up a newer Square Wave 200, which has a little more top end, a much smaller footprint, and with much les amperage draw. Question is, would it be worth trying to pick up? Is it enough of an advantage to spend $4-500 extra, assuming I could get $7-800 out of the 175?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Square Wave 175 vs 200

I don't think anybody else can help you decide if size and power draw are enough to spend money...you're already living with the size and power requirements, but nobody else knows if that's really a major concern. That narrows it down to whether another 25 amps will really give you a benefit worth paying for.

I thought a 200A machine would be enough when I started out, and it was until I started welding aluminum regularly, and now I'm much happier I have a bigger machine. I wouldn't want anything less than around 250A because that's enough for 1/4" aluminum without much fuss.

For folks who are enthusiastic about welding (enough to join a forum!) it seems many of us develop over time to bigger projects that call for more power and/or features. If there's any likely chance that will happen you might consider skipping the 200A size machines and getting something that will handle the next level of challenges...just a thought.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jason280 View Post
    I have a Square Wave 175, and older transformer machine that is big, heavy, and power hungry...and really limited on its output (compared to its size). I have a chance to pick up a newer Square Wave 200, which has a little more top end, a much smaller footprint, and with much les amperage draw. Question is, would it be worth trying to pick up? Is it enough of an advantage to spend $4-500 extra, assuming I could get $7-800 out of the 175?
    I guess it depends on whether going from 20% DC @ 175A to 20% DC @ 200A is worth $4-500 to you. To me, it would not be -- especially if going from transformer to inerter. I'm with Bart -- for a general-purpose aluminum machine for doing 1/4" material, I would want at least say 250A at 60% DC ... and 350A would be mo betta.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go for the 200. A lot lighter and more control with the inverter. You could likely get most of your money back on the 175, they seem to sell pretty goof used.