Thread: Broke second yeswelder flux-135! Fuse?

Post Thanks / Like

Broke second yeswelder flux-135! Fuse?

Hi, I recently bought a Yeswelder Flux-135 to make a few repairs around the house, learn how to weld, etc. There are a ton of these similar 120v inverter welders from China all over Amazon, Ebay, Harbor Freight. I thought the Yeswelder would be a good option as their presence seemed legit, US location good website 2 year warranty. Also, it was $139 shipped at the time and so looked better than the HF model with a 90 day warranty.

First one worked fine but stopped arcing after maybe 3 minutes use. I figured some electrical component failed. Second one failed as well, but this time I got a clue. The house circuit breaker tripped (first one it never tripped). I went back to turn it on again and noticed it was only 15 amps and it's supposed to be 20. After plugging it into a known 20a circuit, it comes on as normal, feeds wire but no spark. Same as the first one. There is no circuit breaker on the welder, but I'm wondering if maybe there is a fuse soldered to the main circuit board or some such nonsense. I once had a Black and Decker compressor with this poor engineering so thinking it could be the same here. I did expose the boards but don't see a traditional glass or automotive type fuse, so not sure what to look for or otherwise diagnose. I can't imagine these things are this fragile. I would expect at worst they would trip house circuit breaker and be ready to go after a reset.

2. Likes welding1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Broke second yeswelder flux-135! Fuse?

First thing is buy American when possible! 2nd for a general all around welding machine, get a Stick welder (DC current). If you can't afford a American stick welder get an ESAB 161, yeah its made in china... I have one, and if you give it 20 Amps of 120 volts it will do a lot. Those cheap *** wire feeders suck ***! Get a stick welder...
    It seemed like a good idea at the time!

Post Thanks / Like

And who sells a welder made in America? All the inverter machines have boards made in China. When I looked 3 years ago Lincoln had some transformer machines still made in USA. Some assembled here. Is anyone making them in USA currently?

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crevasse View Post
    Hi, I recently bought a Yeswelder Flux-135 to make a few repairs around the house, learn how to weld, etc. There are a ton of these similar 120v inverter welders from China all over Amazon, Ebay, Harbor Freight. I thought the Yeswelder would be a good option as their presence seemed legit, US location good website 2 year warranty. Also, it was $139 shipped at the time and so looked better than the HF model with a 90 day warranty.

First one worked fine but stopped arcing after maybe 3 minutes use. I figured some electrical component failed. Second one failed as well, but this time I got a clue. The house circuit breaker tripped (first one it never tripped). I went back to turn it on again and noticed it was only 15 amps and it's supposed to be 20. After plugging it into a known 20a circuit, it comes on as normal, feeds wire but no spark. Same as the first one. There is no circuit breaker on the welder, but I'm wondering if maybe there is a fuse soldered to the main circuit board or some such nonsense. I once had a Black and Decker compressor with this poor engineering so thinking it could be the same here. I did expose the boards but don't see a traditional glass or automotive type fuse, so not sure what to look for or otherwise diagnose. I can't imagine these things are this fragile. I would expect at worst they would trip house circuit breaker and be ready to go after a reset.
    It seems likely that they are that fragile....not being mean, just honest. Look at it this way...you can buy it for $139 with shipping. The shipping was at least $25-30 right? That means they're making a decent profit at around $110 unit cost, and that's after the cost of shipping it here from China! The company manufacturing them is making a profit as well, so the reality is the machine has probably $20 worth of components and $10 worth of labor. I wouldn't expect much from any $30 electrical device, much less a welder.

A while back I bought a cheap imported water cooler, and it worked perfectly. I bought a second one a few months later...barely moved water, so I returned it. I ordered a third from a different vendor with a different warehouse location. That one also showed up, looked fine, but would barely move water. I pulled the wrapper on that one and I'm pretty sure they put a 230V motor in a machine with a 110V power supply....the motor had all Chinese characters, but clearly marked "230V" with nothing indicating it was a dual voltage setup. I sent returned that one and bought a Miller Coolmate at auction that cost just a bit more and works perfectly....lesson learned.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by liberty_metal_worx View Post
    And who sells a welder made in America? All the inverter machines have boards made in China. When I looked 3 years ago Lincoln had some transformer machines still made in USA. Some assembled here. Is anyone making them in USA currently?
    Lincoln has moved production to Mexico as far as I know. You can tell because the serial number starts with an "M" where the older ones had "U" as the first digit and that indicated made in the U.S. Miller still makes their machines here, but they obviously have a lot of imported components. At the very least you get someone here assembling them and doing the QC checks who hopefully knows what they're doing.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

7. Likes liberty_metal_worx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I now wonder if maybe by grounding to the fireplace itself (twice) while welding that the fireplace somehow caused the issue. Hard to believe that under-amping it would cause it to fail. I would think it would be more likely to just throw the breaker and/or just do poor surface welds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crevasse View Post
    I now wonder if maybe by grounding to the fireplace itself (twice) while welding that the fireplace somehow caused the issue.
    I doubt it. Maybe third time's the charm. Or maybe they should rename it "NOWelder."

Post Thanks / Like

I used to be a firearm manufacturer as well as FFL1 and FF3 SOT (full auto repair and manufacturer) my business partner was a military surplus importer, we designed a semi auto self defense shotgun, box mag fed etc.. well we couldn't manufacture it here in the USA and still sell it for anything under $1500 soooo my partner had been dealing with China for decades and arranged a tour for us to go there and select a factory to build the guns, we were first taken to a government agency where an official explained how it worked over there...

if you want it built cheap then you select lets say factory 1A, 2A, 3A all of which are very rural located etc.. these factories use the least skilled labor and lowest priced
    components.. but we'd be able to sell our guns at around $149 ea.

now next option is a mid level these factories are located a little closer to urban population centers and employ labor with a higher skill level and components will be higher quality we'll call em factories 1B, 2B, 3B now these we could sell our guns at around $249 ea.

Last we get to the cream of the crop factories these are right in major population centers AND have an older much more skilled work force factories 1C, 2C, 3C and the best components are used as better power sources etc.. so better machining equipment and so on... now from here we'd have to charge $550 per gun but they would be at the highest quality level...

we went with the mid level option so we could get a wider range of buyers to help refine the design better and planned in a few years to offer a USA made premium version etc...

the reason for the wide range of manufacturing options is due to the communist government, those employees who are good party members get more opportunities for advancement, most start out if your born in a rural location you spend your whole life there with very little education or motivation to improve yourself a few do move up and get rewarded with moves closer to population centers etc.. but generally where you are born is where you stay, those closer to population centers have better education opportunity, better training and a better life style etc.. they want to keep it so they strive to make it clear that they are a valuable worker the result.. better products,

this is something Sam Walton figured out and how he was able to acquire say HP notebook computers that he could sell at half what Circuit city hadda charge for a similar HP computer.. but if ya put em side by side the wally world one will be lighter generally as it will use cheaper plastic chassis instead of sheet metal as a result it won't be as well shielded as the CC computer etc.. it also might run hotter etc.. he would go to Sony, HP, IBM etc.. and put in a bid for what he was willing to pay for each device and to meet his price the manufacture has the device made at factory 1B instead of factory 3C etc...

the tools ya buy be it welders or vice grips might all be made in china BUT at what factory in china is the important detail... Lincoln welders might be made in Sheinghi while the Yeswelder is made in a very remote rural backwater

edit; a REALLY good example is Harbor freight tools, the reason they can offer 3-4 different quality/price levels is because each version is made in a different factory location "Bauer for instance is made in Urban utopia while Chicago electric or Drill master is made in an remote rural factory...
    Last edited by monsoon-mech; 04-25-2021 at 06:52 PM.

11. Likes Kelvin, welding1, robert-r, Mikel_24 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I learned something new today... I suppose that explains why so many Chinese products are labelled with the province of China they were manufactured in.

Post Thanks / Like

Monsoon-Mech's experience probably helps explain the price differences you see for what appears to be the same item from different vendors at Alibaba and AliExpress...

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Crevasse;8811184]Hi, I recently bought a Yeswelder Flux-135 to make a few repairs around the house, learn how to weld, etc. There are a ton of these similar 120v inverter welders from China all over Amazon, Ebay, Harbor Freight. I thought the Yeswelder would be a good option as their presence seemed legit, US location good website 2 year warranty. Also, it was $139 shipped at the time and so looked better than the HF model with a 90 day warranty.

u cant be serious, man. what g-bart broke down for 139, is just common sense. i mean, u'd been better off to buy a box of fireworks (and they'd probabaly last longer too). sounds more like a nowelder . what ur describing reminds me of a printer. the things are designed to break/quit working right after u get screwed on buying the ink cartridges. too stick steel together, we need to find something better than that, or any of that other junk u comparing it too. better off to save ur $ for a while. i mean if i were really down and out/cash stricken, the lowest id stoop, would be a home depot one

Post Thanks / Like

I would have traded you motors! I was sent a 120v motor and it was supposed to be 230v.

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    It seems likely that they are that fragile....not being mean, just honest. Look at it this way...you can buy it for $139 with shipping. The shipping was at least $25-30 right? That means they're making a decent profit at around $110 unit cost, and that's after the cost of shipping it here from China! The company manufacturing them is making a profit as well, so the reality is the machine has probably $20 worth of components and $10 worth of labor. I wouldn't expect much from any $30 electrical device, much less a welder.

A while back I bought a cheap imported water cooler, and it worked perfectly. I bought a second one a few months later...barely moved water, so I returned it. I ordered a third from a different vendor with a different warehouse location. That one also showed up, looked fine, but would barely move water. I pulled the wrapper on that one and I'm pretty sure they put a 230V motor in a machine with a 110V power supply....the motor had all Chinese characters, but clearly marked "230V" with nothing indicating it was a dual voltage setup. I sent returned that one and bought a Miller Coolmate at auction that cost just a bit more and works perfectly....lesson learned.