+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ESAB SVI 300I CVCC in 1ph?

Post Thanks / Like

ESAB SVI 300I CVCC in 1ph?

So I feel really dumb because I bought a really nice welder and the data plate on the back shows 3 phase, which I don't have available.
    I started reading the users manual for it, and it APPEARS that you can rewire it for single phase with a couple changes to the wiring, but I'm not sure if it would require a different board or if it's already capable from the get go.

With how expensive these are and all the bells and whistles, I think this might be possible, but I haven't got a hold of the ESAB engineering dept. to verify this, and I obviously don't want to brick my new welder.

FWIW I have another esab welder that has 1ph and 3ph on the data plate and a simple flick of a switch from 480 to 230 and removing one cable is all that was required to convert it, so I'm pretty optimistic.

Here's the manual https://www.esab.ca/literature/archi...e_15-183-a.pdf
    Page 10, 11, and 12 describe setting the jumpers and wiring.

Anyone know about this specific model?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ESAB SVI 300I CVCC in 1ph?

What is the actual part # of your machine ? There are at least 4 variations of same model. 2 are 1/3 phase 2 are just 3 phase. If yours is straight 3 phase your best to see if tech support will help you but I doubt it really because of liability but should still be your first try I think. Maybe they can give a hint if it is doable and if it is worth doing.

That manual covers 1 and 3 phase units as well as straight 3 phase I think.

SVI 300i cvcc
    POWER SOURCE
    P/N 34835 - 230 (208-230) / 460 (440) V ac, 1- or 3-phase, 50/60 Hz
    P/N 34834 - 230 (208-230) / 460 (440) V ac, 1- or 3-phase, 50/60 Hz, w/ APS (refer to supplement F-15-204)
    P/N 34872 - 575 V ac, 3-phase, 50/60 Hz (refer to supplement F-15-205)
    P/N 34873 - 400 (380-415) V ac, 3-phase, 50/60 Hz (refer to supplement F-15-206)
    Last edited by danielplace; 04-25-2021 at 11:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's 34835, which is listed as 1 or 3 phase in the manual. The data plate on the backside only shows 3ph of course, which is why I'm a little apprehensive.

Andy

Post Thanks / Like

Should be either then.

Not much to worry. It will either work or not. One test will not fry it. Single phasing momentarily would not kill it.

Connect the outer connections(black and white no red) on input to single phase with voltage on the correct taps for your voltage and try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    Should be either then.

Not much to worry. It will either work or not. One test will not fry it. Single phasing momentarily would not kill it.

Connect the outer connections(black and white no red) on input to single phase with voltage on the correct taps for your voltage and try it.
    Will do. I'll update the thread when I've tested it.

Andy

Post Thanks / Like

should work just fine. Just make sure you power the two correct terminals on the line switch or welder will not power up. L1 and L3 terminals.
    On single phase the max out put will be will be limited. see duty cycle limits in the owners manual. 60% max is 225A 100% is 200A.

Post Thanks / Like

Update; Super nice machine. Followed the user manual for setting it to single phase 230v and it works really well. I'm very thankful for the help guys!

Andy

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist