Thread: Is a Millermatic 35 worth anything these days?

Post Thanks / Like

Is a Millermatic 35 worth anything these days?

Hello all
    Just wanted to ask the forum for their opinions in regards to a mid 80's black face Millermatic 35. Is this a worth while welder or has it run it's course in terms of what's available today?
    Usually you still see these come up for sale and some are still asking as high as 900.00 to 1200.00+ for these old Millermatic's

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is a Millermatic 35 worth anything these days?

Quote Originally Posted by jzr75601 View Post
    Hello all
    Just wanted to ask the forum for their opinions in regards to a mid 80's black face Millermatic 35. Is this a worth while welder or has it run it's course in terms of what's available today?
    Usually you still see these come up for sale and some are still asking as high as 900.00 to 1200.00+ for these old Millermatic's
    The earlier 35S and slightly newer 35 are both still nice machines that can put down a beautiful bead, but I don't think they're worth nearly $900-1200. The big issue is that most of them have the older gun system where the gas valve is in the torch so the machine doesn't have a solenoid and can't take a modern gun. Parts for the older gun style are extremely hard to find, and often expensive....finding a replacement valve in the factory bag will usually cost you as much as a new imported M25 style gun would. There were conversion kits available at one point which would make them accept a modern gun with a modern Miller back end, and that makes a big difference. Around here those machines seem to run $500-750 in decent shape.

If it still has the old style gun, you have to modify the machine to accept modern guns and that takes some time and effort. Lincoln makes an adapter that runs around $100, then you need a solenoid, and the female receptacle for the trigger switch 2-pin connector. Most folks make an adapter plate out of acrylic, epoxy the Lincoln adapter to it, then mount it on the inside of the face to line up with the wire feed, add a hole for the power line and another for the 2-pin connector and use a modern gun. Even using an imported gun you're talking a couple of hundred dollar project, so you have get the machine cheap to make it worthwhile.

I've converted two to a modern gun and the new owners love them...paint and body guys really seem to like the arc of the 35S, 35 and 200. This thread over on the Miller forum covers the conversion process....I added my first project with pics for folks to reference.

https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/...tic-35-mig-gun

Edit to add: Miller switched the MM35 to a modern gun style in 1980, serial number JA448186 on forward. Those machines will take any modern gun with a Miller back end like an M-15, M-25, etc.
    Last edited by G-ManBart; 04-25-2021 at 09:08 PM.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is a Millermatic 35 worth anything these days?

There is one local on CL that they are asking $1500. Generally I see prices of new plus 10% on CL for welding equipment, and I have never seen one that didn’t just come out of the dealer for service. Not sure what these idiots are thinking, but a 35s value should likely be a few hundred bucks, not $1200.