Thread: just have a question

Post Thanks / Like

just have a question

i plan on building something similar to picture below was wonder what size square aluminum tube to use and wall thickness thank you Name:  pic02.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  92.7 KB ps i am not a welder i am going to attempt this with a torch and rod method also ill be using more triangulation
    Last edited by chaplain robert; 04-27-2021 at 06:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: just have a question

How much weight does it need to hold?
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaplain robert View Post
    i plan on building something similar to picture below was wonder what size square aluminum tube to use and wall thickness thank you

ps i am not a welder i am going to attempt this with a torch and rod method also ill be using more triangulation
    You would be better off using steel and a mig welder.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

What Shovelon said. X2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    How much weight does it need to hold?
    there car ramps so alot

Post Thanks / Like

yea but no welding machine and dont know how to use one

Post Thanks / Like

Even if you're going to use a "torch and rod method," steel is still going to be easier than aluminum. (I wouldn't even consider soldering aluminum with those lame zinc "aluminum welding" rods for this project.)

I'm with Shovelon and Bob -- steel is the way to go.

8. Likes BD1, welding1, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

ok thx guys what size iron would 1 inch square tube work

Post Thanks / Like

this is a better example of side profile
    Name:  sample.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  18.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chaplain robert; 04-27-2021 at 11:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a welder ? This sounds like a project you should avoid, unless you have substantial life insurance.

IF you do decide to proceeded, I suggest locating manufactured ones and duplicate. All the engineering is done by professionals and you just copy.

https://www.carlotstore.com/vehicle-...-cp-rpb36.html

12. Likes welding1, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do NOT like the design. Too many stories about people dying crushed under a car. If these things were safe somebody would sell manufactured ones.
    I want to see the base wider than the tracks with "feet", and until they are securely under a car sitting squarely on them I want to see them connected securely to each other.
    Under NO circumstance should this be a project for a beginner welder. There is a lot to know about structure, engineering. Each weld MUST be sound or somebody is going to end up dead.

My solution isn't absolutely safe either, but I love it. I have a grease pit. I'm not real tall. Mine is 5' deep. A hole in the floor39" wide, 12' long. When not in use I have four heavy framed with 1/4" aluminum diamond plate covers. These are strong enough to drive a truck on.

Another option: Buy a very good air powered jack, and very good quality jack stands. From my childhood, I remember homemade jack stands made from old Ford truck differentials. These unbolted into a sort of funnel shaped structure probably 15" diameter. My father's friend used these before he bought a lift, and for long term projects he didn't want the lift tied up.

If you do go forth, consider 3" 1/4" wall square tube bases under the Feet you show at least 20" wide. Each end of these gets a 5" square of 3/8" flat under. 2" T35 square 1/4" wall for verticals & gusset the corners so they don't fold as you drive on.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree completely! You should not be undertaking this project. Any other adice given to you will likely get buried along with you after completion.

15. Likes wb4rt, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thx for all the advice i think ill give up on project for now God bless all of you

Post Thanks / Like

thx for all the advice i think ill give up on project for now God bless all of you
    There are other options though, and very cheap too.

I've seen several people stack layers of plywood up, each layer a little shorter in length.
    This makes a ramp that will not collapse.

I've also seen it done with 2x lumber. Very easy to do and won't break.
    Name:  247e5b26f5a9ce9fd6188e55347d3515.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  34.4 KB

My brother likes to use "wheel cribs"
    Name:  43be4ef415327fdfae689aa535cb18c8.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  41.4 KB
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

18. Likes Kelvin, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

...probably cheaper than doing it with aluminum or steel, too ... even today, with lumber prices going through the roof.

Simple, foolproof, what's not to like?

20. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    ...probably cheaper than doing it with aluminum or steel, too ... even today, with lumber prices going through the roof.

Simple, foolproof, what's not to like?
    I use wheel cribs just like those but built from 2x6 lumber to hold semi trucks up. Works great.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a welder and that designs sucks! Please dont make this. But seriously, don't make this!
    It seemed like a good idea at the time!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    I use wheel cribs just like those but built from 2x6 lumber to hold semi trucks up. Works great.
    Please mention you jack it up first, place the cribs, let the jack down. Driving up those ramps, or crawling under is not for the faint of heart.

We had a builder last week 40 miles away working on a stock car, used an air jack, didn't put in the safety pin. He's dead forever, he don't move,.......he don't do nothin'.

That is a quote from my 4 year old nephew when my pet skunk was clubbed to death by a crazy neighbor.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

24. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Please mention you jack it up first, place the cribs, let the jack down. Driving up those ramps, or crawling under is not for the faint of heart.

We had a builder last week 40 miles away working on a stock car, used an air jack, didn't put in the safety pin. He's dead forever, he don't move,.......he don't do nothin'.

That is a quote from my 4 year old nephew when my pet skunk was clubbed to death by a crazy neighbor.
    I have two 10 ton air operated floor jacks to lift the axles, my cribs are 10" max. One thing to remember when lifting trucks with air suspension is to dump the air from the bags, otherwise you will get 2-4" of travel on the front axle as the bags slowly deflate. That will roll them off blocks or worse... tip jack stands.

26. Likes Willie B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

those ramps in the pic are just an accident in the waiting. i can see them collapse sideways with their narrow build and not connected together to prevent tip over!

do not build them following this design.

28. Likes welding1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just buy a lift. The cheap Chinese ones are affordable. The better USA made ones aren't so bad either with monthly payments. Plus you can always sell it to an envious neighbor guy if you don't want it anymore. And the new ones double as parking lifts, so an extra bonus there.
    Name:  HD-9-Gray-250.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  49.6 KB
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

30. Likes MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I fabbed up some wooden ramps like the ones pictured to carry on my tow trucks, they were great for low vehicles to keep from destroying the air dams & front fascia or rear valance panels.I did mine in 3/4 plywood. I have an old end lift I bought in about 76 or 77, paid 50 bucks for it then & it was probably 30 or 40 years old then, still works great.
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

32. Likes MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I guess it's nice to know Darwin is still alive and kicking. The way things have been going the last couple years I was starting to think that dude already gave up and checked out.

Post Thanks / Like

i plan on building something similar to picture below was wonder what size square aluminum tube to use and wall thickness thank you Name:  pic02.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  92.7 KB ps i am not a welder i am going to attempt this with a torch and rod method also ill be using more triangulation

I read through this thread and on first glance I would concur with the masses that they don't appear very safe.

However, I would be curious if the builder/owner of those ramps is able to offer some input on the design and stability. That doesn't look like cheap construction - the steel I see in the picture is plenty beefy to hold up a car. So it might actually be a more stable set up than what we perceive just by merely looking at a picture of someones' contraption.

That said, without any triangle bracing in the legs it would appear the main concern with failure would be racking - front to back primarily, sideways secondarily. Either is not good. However, that gets back to how the ramps were actually constructed. On top of the legs where they join up with the ramps and decks - what are those joints? Are they butt welds? Gusseted butt welds? Or do the legs interlock with the ramp or deck framing? We can't tell any of that from the picture so I again stand by the comment it would be nice to get some input from the builder/owner on their construction and some words on their actual stability.

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest variable not mentioned is the weight of the vehicle. Biggest problem I see with the pictured ramps is that the only thing tying the vertical supports together is the top. There isn't much to prevent the supports from buckling front or backwards. Some simple lightweight X bracing would work wonders.

36. Likes MinnesotaDave, N2 Welding liked this post