Thread: boom truck hydraulics

Post Thanks / Like

boom truck hydraulics

I got an older boom truck that I am setting up for a job I do. its got a double pump vickers on it that's rated at 3000 but the whole system runs at 2200 psi.
    my problem is I need one circuit that runs at 3000 psi at 2 gpm. it has an auxilary circuit to use but only 2200 psi about 6 gpm both pumps run through the whole system so I would be raising relief valves that also control a boom and a winch and I'm nervous about doing that. I cant upsize the cylinders on the auxiliary tools I need to run so my options are.
    1 put a valve between the vickers and the main system with a higher relief then on to the main controls wouldn't mess with any of the factory systems reliefs that way. would have way to many gpm so a splitter to dump excess to tank every time I needed to use the main system have to flip levers
    2 put a hydraulic intensifier on the auxiliary circuit don't know if they are dependable in constant use and Im waiting on a price probably will still need to dump extra fluid but wouldn't be loading my main pump to max.
    option 3 is put together a hydraulic motor driving a pump off of the auxiliary then that pump has a higher psi rating then im into it a motor, a pump and an extra valve but no changes to the original configuration of the equipment i only need 2 gpm but it takes 3000 psi to do what i need.
    any advice?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by idacal; 04-28-2021 at 10:48 AM.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: boom truck hydraulics

Is the Vickers pump "modular" so you could add a third pump section?
    Could you replace the double pump with a triple pump?
    Just throwing stuff out there!

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking along the same line of thought as above: It seems like a standalone power pack might be the cheapest and simplest solution. No messing with your existing system and opening that can of worms.

Skid steer, stand alone engine driven power pack, or maybe make a hydraulically driven pump. You could have your boom truck run a motor at 2200 PSI and have that motor coupled to another pump that gives you 3000 PSI / 2 GPM. You would need another reservoir, but it would let you keep things completely isolated. Probably wouldn't be ideal if you need 3 way valve or something to run a cylinder.

Post Thanks / Like

A properly proportioned gear type flow divider can act as a pressure intensifier if the gears are sized right. and also will stand up to constant duty, The outlet to the crane can remain at the crane's pressure setting and wont be affected by the 3,000 psi on the other circuit with it's own relief valve.

It's just an example, but say you have a 3" wide gear on one side feeding the crane and a 1" wide gear feeding your new circuit, the 1" gear will boost the pressure just like using a high flow motor driving a high pressure low flow pump. If I made any sense.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you guys. i looked at putting a 3rd stage on the pump but that was a couple of grand and still need all the plumbing. I am powering it with a power unit now but im trying to be more efficient so only 1 load needs to go out. right now Im 2 pickups and a gooseneck trying to get it down to one load. I thought that would work with a pump and motor but i wasn't sure that I wasnt missing something. got parts ordered, got some actuators and a remote so I can run the winch from the ground. will see how it all works out. I will see also how the basic kar tech ranger system works.
    Last edited by idacal; 04-28-2021 at 08:27 PM.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

6. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hydraulic tools for breaking down subs and such? Those are real time savers.

Post Thanks / Like

no, down the well hydraulic perforators, I use them for abandoning wells that are past their useful life, been replaced, in a road widening, things like that. the bigger ones are simple to build but the small one is a 4" that took some thinking, machining, and doing it multiple times until it worked. I abandoned about 30 wells last year and am on track to do even more this year. biggest one was a 20" casing. i like to be able to do a circle of holes every minute I have ran them down 420' thats a lot of hose! . they make rotary tools to do it but then it ties up a drill rig, a support truck, the site has to be somewhat level, with no power lines. only the power lines cause me problems and I can run in on 10' footers if need be to get under them. all this while the drill rig is on a job.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

9. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got it. Nice tools there. Up here the Department of Ecology wants a bunch of old windmill wells abandoned nearly the same way. There could be hundreds of them to be perfed and grouted. Most are 4" casing and a few guys are thinking along the lines of a Smeal pump rig and some hydraulics to do the job if the state cuts the money loose.

Post Thanks / Like

maybe I aught to sell a few perforators lol or start working in washington but I only get a couple thousand punches before it hast to be taken apart and new blades and pins fitted back in and thats with tool steel. had a few guys want to buy one locally but the first thing they would do is hang it up and loose it then get pissed or try to run it on too low of psi

12. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    maybe I aught to sell a few perforators lol or start working in washington but I only get a couple thousand punches before it hast to be taken apart and new blades and pins fitted back in and thats with tool steel. had a few guys want to buy one locally but the first thing they would do is hang it up and loose it then get pissed or try to run it on too low of psi
    The only ones I have been around were cam action types that were hung from a B-E 36 cable rig, they used the main line to hang it and the sand line to punch. That was on 16" casing. After grouting it they blew the casing with dynamite and jacked it out. I got to cut the casing as they pulled it. I think it was 280' that we pulled.

Post Thanks / Like

How about a belt drive pump on the engine?

https://www.deweze.com/hydraulics/cpk/

https://zips.com/parts-detail/deweze...dt466-d-700322

I ran a bucket truck with one for a little bit. It seemed to work well.

Zach

Post Thanks / Like

yea those cable tool style are called a mills knife https://www.millsmachine.com/product...fe-perforator/ I have most sizes, home built up to 20" i had one well we had to perforate 12" .375 wall casing inside a 18" .25 wall and we had to perforate both casings that took multiple builds to get right, kept breaking blades. but engineer insisted and paid so we got it done. used to have the pictures to prove it the clay wall outside the outer casing. a lot of our larger well abandonments are inside buildings that have all the pumping equipment so just a bear to do. but as you saw they are a pain to use they dont power retract so as the tools get lighter its harder and harder to get the blade to retract. a BE 36 probably not but smaller cable tools are banging and shaking to pull the blade I dont know how mills gets it to perforate without pulling the 2" pipe apart. I always ran it on 2 3/8 oil tubing for the heavier threads but I will run hydraulics any day over that so much less work plus it can be ran by a pump truck.
    Last edited by idacal; 04-29-2021 at 12:50 AM.

16. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

jacking casing is so much fun, nothing like watching 2-4 inches stretch before it starts moving and realizing that there is 250 tons of energy right there and not very well confined. if something breaks, jacks are going flying dont care how tight it is chained. i have a 175 ton set I have used twice and hopefully never again
    Last edited by idacal; 04-29-2021 at 01:03 AM.

18. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know really anything about wells but if you need more psi, i would try for a hydraulic motor driven off of the original system powering a gear pump plumbed and rated for 3000psi at 2gpm like somebody suggested. Should even be able to use the same tank being its such a small draw. If you just need more psi for more force in the well could you upsize the cylinder? A tandem cylinder like on some cnc drawbars puts out a lot of force with the sacrifice of some stroke. An istensifier would work too but would have to be sized for the largest cylinder you use. I've only been around the smaller enerpac intensifiers and sometimes they were a pain when they lost some fluid, Had to bleed them just right or they wouldn't build up enough force.

20. Likes idacal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats what im going to try first, is motor driving a pump. I was look at those enerpac intesifiers and they looked complicated. thanks for all the help i will show pictures of the build Once everything gets here Im using surplus center parts so it kind of codged a little bit

Post Thanks / Like

Conservation Districts around here have had well filling programs for years.... mostly old domestic water wells on farm properties. Idea is to prevent contaminants from getting into the acquifiers. Usually they just dig the old casing out with a hoe, fill the bottom with fresh gravel, add a bentonite and clay seal near the top before topsoil. Seems to work ok, but I like your rig for the deep wells.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les