Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lincoln 225 ACDC or Miller Thunderbolt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln 225 ACDC or Miller Thunderbolt

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    How will that change with a different welder?

I'm not a professional welder, and have said that many times...just an enthusiast who likes welding, welders and making things. I'm pretty certain nothing will enlighten you.
    I gather that the OP was looking for a more portable option or maybe already has a smaller generator. I believe it is possible to have more than 1 generator.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie1957 View Post
    I agree with the stated assessment of the SA200, I have a great 1966 red face model so I know something about them. They were a purpose built machine for welding and they still do that very weld. Pure DC arc is a beauty to behold thatís why they still have a cult following....

If you ever get a chance to weld with one youíll see what I mean.
    Down the road I'd like to acquire one. Not sure how far down the road that will be, but certainly not in the near future. An inverter machine is all that fits the cards at the moment on my end. When I do my long trips I already have generators along and I can't imagine needing to weld anything extraordinarily heavy - and where I may find myself welding, at least for now, there is commercial power.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks and update from Florida Al in the Deep South.
    I have purchased the ESAB 180i and some Lincoln Excaliber 3/32" 7018 rods. Pushed my small time, retired budget a bit. But, I can finally keep an arc going again. My garage practice/learning welds look like Fido's rear end, but I pounded one with a hammer and it held. (redneck style QC. ) Now I'm working on improving.
    Reading all the replies was very educational. I sincerely appreciate every reply.
    Thank you, everyone.

4. Likes BMX Welder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm Pretty new here and just in my third year of training as a welder but my dads been welding for 30 some years. He said find a weld n power and sell the generator you have. The 225s are only 500#'s and can be loaded with the smallest high lift or engine crane and if you want to get serious you can run a feeder. The smaller models can be load by two men without much effort and the older ones had a crank or pull start on the back, Often handy when not used regularly because you don.t need to buy a new battery every time there's a small repair. Just drain the gas when your done and they will come back to life on demand. They had lots of them at work and run and weld good. The ones with the Onan engines seemed to be more reliable. Keep an eye on the construction auctions the old man has bought and sold a few for a couple hundred. Once folks find out there is a new welder in the neighborhood you can get popular.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaAl View Post
    Thanks and update from Florida Al in the Deep South.
    I have purchased the ESAB 180i and some Lincoln Excaliber 3/32" 7018 rods. Pushed my small time, retired budget a bit. But, I can finally keep an arc going again. My garage practice/learning welds look like Fido's rear end, but I pounded one with a hammer and it held. (redneck style QC. ) Now I'm working on improving.
    Reading all the replies was very educational. I sincerely appreciate every reply.
    Thank you, everyone.
    I read through this whole thread and the last post noticed that you're in Jacksonville. If you're close enough and want a little help figuring out the 7018, let me know and I might be able to stop by and bring some 1/8" and 5/32" 7018 plus what ever 6010/11 I have for you to try. Could possibly even bring my Maxstar for you to try tig welding if you wanted.
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Miller AEAD200LE (welding and generating power)
    Hobart MIG

7. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    I read through this whole thread and the last post noticed that you're in Jacksonville. If you're close enough and want a little help figuring out the 7018, let me know and I might be able to stop by and bring some 1/8" and 5/32" 7018 plus what ever 6010/11 I have for you to try. Could possibly even bring my Maxstar for you to try tig welding if you wanted.
    Take the Airco!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    Take the Airco!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    That machine hasn't moved in probably 35-40 years.. it's on a stand so if you want to come crouch down under it you might be able to lift with your legs to carry it to my truck I'll even use an excavator or skidsteer to lift it onto the truck so you don't have to
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Miller AEAD200LE (welding and generating power)
    Hobart MIG