Thread: Where are you purchasing your consumables?

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you purchasing your consumables?

Well I ran out of 3/32 7018's and needed to get some for a job. I take a trip to my "go-to" LWS and their shelves are BARE! They only had 1/8" 6011's. They also had NO Hypertherm consumables. Torch tips in my flavor, gone. Grinding discs were all there because my fav's went up to $8 a pop. Screw that. I went to the other guys and it was even worse. I had to go to HARBOR FREIGHT to find what I needed. Ugh.

So I need to fully restock my grinding discs and welding rods. Let's hear everyone's favorite online retailer.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where are you purchasing your consumables?

where u located?

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased 25 pounds of 7018 at,,, of all places,,, Lowes,, they had the lowest price by 50%,,
    AND,, I only use Lincoln 7018, that is what Lowes sells.

What shocked me more was that the rod would restrike off of the FLUX!

You can clearly see the arc initiate off of the flux, as the steel is recessed back inside the flux.
    I had never noticed that before.

My memory of older 7018 was that you had to tap the flux until the flux chipped away from the steel rod.
    Not with these rods. The slightest touch of the flux to the workpiece, and the arc would start,,

After I noticed this,, I restarted the arc numerous times to see if it was really happening,, YEP! it kept doing it,,

I was running the rods with my old top crank Miller Thunderbolt DC machine.

4. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in SE KY. Very rural. The closest LWS is 40 min away.

Lowes and TSC only had 7018AC in 1/8". Luckily this was a light duty repair. Even though the HF 7018 was way over priced. Car Quest carries Forney products but didn't have what I needed. I burned 10lbs of their 6011 with no complaints.

I'm looking at ordering some grinding wheels from Benchmark Abrasives to try out.

Now to find some rods

Post Thanks / Like

interesting about that flux, sounds kinda nice in a way. the only welding thing i buy at lowes/homedepot, is .035 nr211, but ill keeep that in mind. liberty, id hate to pay freight on rod, maybe next time ur in the big city, buy a can(s) of lincoln 3/32 and 1/8 7018, if u can swing it. i have never been one to try to buy off brand rod/cored wire, even in the days when i was piss poor . for repairs, i usually like lh-70, but i keep x-caliber on hand too
    Last edited by 123weld; 05-01-2021 at 01:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly use Amazon or Harbor Frieght if need now. On some items I will use https://www.aliexpress.com/ but will take upto 9 weeks to get items but great prices.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by liberty_metal_worx View Post
    Well I ran out of 3/32 7018's and needed to get some for a job. I take a trip to my "go-to" LWS and their shelves are BARE! They only had 1/8" 6011's. They also had NO Hypertherm consumables. Torch tips in my flavor, gone. Grinding discs were all there because my fav's went up to $8 a pop. Screw that. I went to the other guys and it was even worse. I had to go to HARBOR FREIGHT to find what I needed. Ugh.

So I need to fully restock my grinding discs and welding rods. Let's hear everyone's favorite online retailer.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments. I've been looking on Amazon. For some reason there isn't much for rods. If I can find a "prime" deal that would be the way to go. I don't know if it's the search algorithm or of the spooky is way down. I've had issues before with the search feature where I can't find something but someone else can using the same term. Same goes for google.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought some nr211 at Lowes, contact tips and cut off wheels at Harbor Freight. Both places are about 40 minutes away...
    I hate buying $}{!+ online, but Cyberweld has free shipping on orders over $50.

I used to joke about how the only things I could buy locally anymore were canned goods and toilet paper, then 2020 happened... I think the universe overheard me.

10. Likes N2 Welding, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IOC (Indiana Oxygen) is a good source. They are online but also a local supply in Indiana. I've bought a few welders from them in the past.

Harris Welding Supplies was great for hypertherm consumables. (Also on ebay)

Zoro for gloves and some shop supplies.

Lehigh Valley Abrasives for Flap wheels and cutoff wheels.

USAweld.com These are the HTP welder people. I have no opinions on HTP but they have some supplies I've used.

I've used cyberweld in the past as well.

Plenty of options, you just have to move to the mindset of having it ahead of time (i.e. paying for 10 lbs of rod you don't need right now so you have it in the kitty.) and buying enough to get the free shipping.

12. Likes 12345678910, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome. I will check those out. I do use harris on amazon for my Hypertherm stuff. They are great.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely, find it now.

Store them right and they don't go bad.

Even if things start right up tomorrow, the supply chain is FUBAR for at least a year.

15. Likes tbone550, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I sold welding supplies 21 years, head my warning on this one. You can buy aftermarket plasma consumables for your Hypertherm. Profax, A.T.T., sell to distributors. Do not, if the machine in under warranty. I sold aftermarket to a customer (years ago) and the consumables shorted out, fried a circuit board on a 6 month old machine. This voided the warranty. Not only did the customer call me every foul name he could think of, lost the account. Learn from my mistakes. LOL