+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are you purchasing your consumables?

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you purchasing your consumables?

Well I ran out of 3/32 7018's and needed to get some for a job. I take a trip to my "go-to" LWS and their shelves are BARE! They only had 1/8" 6011's. They also had NO Hypertherm consumables. Torch tips in my flavor, gone. Grinding discs were all there because my fav's went up to $8 a pop. Screw that. I went to the other guys and it was even worse. I had to go to HARBOR FREIGHT to find what I needed. Ugh.

So I need to fully restock my grinding discs and welding rods. Let's hear everyone's favorite online retailer.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where are you purchasing your consumables?

where u located?

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased 25 pounds of 7018 at,,, of all places,,, Lowes,, they had the lowest price by 50%,,
    AND,, I only use Lincoln 7018, that is what Lowes sells.

What shocked me more was that the rod would restrike off of the FLUX!

You can clearly see the arc initiate off of the flux, as the steel is recessed back inside the flux.
    I had never noticed that before.

My memory of older 7018 was that you had to tap the flux until the flux chipped away from the steel rod.
    Not with these rods. The slightest touch of the flux to the workpiece, and the arc would start,,

After I noticed this,, I restarted the arc numerous times to see if it was really happening,, YEP! it kept doing it,,

I was running the rods with my old top crank Miller Thunderbolt DC machine.

4. Likes whtbaron, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in SE KY. Very rural. The closest LWS is 40 min away.

Lowes and TSC only had 7018AC in 1/8". Luckily this was a light duty repair. Even though the HF 7018 was way over priced. Car Quest carries Forney products but didn't have what I needed. I burned 10lbs of their 6011 with no complaints.

I'm looking at ordering some grinding wheels from Benchmark Abrasives to try out.

Now to find some rods

Post Thanks / Like

interesting about that flux, sounds kinda nice in a way. the only welding thing i buy at lowes/homedepot, is .035 nr211, but ill keeep that in mind. liberty, id hate to pay freight on rod, maybe next time ur in the big city, buy a can(s) of lincoln 3/32 and 1/8 7018, if u can swing it. i have never been one to try to buy off brand rod/cored wire, even in the days when i was piss poor . for repairs, i usually like lh-70, but i keep x-caliber on hand too
    Last edited by 123weld; 05-01-2021 at 01:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly use Amazon or Harbor Frieght if need now. On some items I will use https://www.aliexpress.com/ but will take upto 9 weeks to get items but great prices.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by liberty_metal_worx View Post
    Well I ran out of 3/32 7018's and needed to get some for a job. I take a trip to my "go-to" LWS and their shelves are BARE! They only had 1/8" 6011's. They also had NO Hypertherm consumables. Torch tips in my flavor, gone. Grinding discs were all there because my fav's went up to $8 a pop. Screw that. I went to the other guys and it was even worse. I had to go to HARBOR FREIGHT to find what I needed. Ugh.

So I need to fully restock my grinding discs and welding rods. Let's hear everyone's favorite online retailer.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments. I've been looking on Amazon. For some reason there isn't much for rods. If I can find a "prime" deal that would be the way to go. I don't know if it's the search algorithm or of the spooky is way down. I've had issues before with the search feature where I can't find something but someone else can using the same term. Same goes for google.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought some nr211 at Lowes, contact tips and cut off wheels at Harbor Freight. Both places are about 40 minutes away...
    I hate buying $}{!+ online, but Cyberweld has free shipping on orders over $50.

I used to joke about how the only things I could buy locally anymore were canned goods and toilet paper, then 2020 happened... I think the universe overheard me.

10. Likes N2 Welding, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IOC (Indiana Oxygen) is a good source. They are online but also a local supply in Indiana. I've bought a few welders from them in the past.

Harris Welding Supplies was great for hypertherm consumables. (Also on ebay)

Zoro for gloves and some shop supplies.

Lehigh Valley Abrasives for Flap wheels and cutoff wheels.

USAweld.com These are the HTP welder people. I have no opinions on HTP but they have some supplies I've used.

I've used cyberweld in the past as well.

Plenty of options, you just have to move to the mindset of having it ahead of time (i.e. paying for 10 lbs of rod you don't need right now so you have it in the kitty.) and buying enough to get the free shipping.

12. Likes 12345678910, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome. I will check those out. I do use harris on amazon for my Hypertherm stuff. They are great.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely, find it now.

Store them right and they don't go bad.

Even if things start right up tomorrow, the supply chain is FUBAR for at least a year.

15. Likes user 9328330, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I sold welding supplies 21 years, head my warning on this one. You can buy aftermarket plasma consumables for your Hypertherm. Profax, A.T.T., sell to distributors. Do not, if the machine in under warranty. I sold aftermarket to a customer (years ago) and the consumables shorted out, fried a circuit board on a 6 month old machine. This voided the warranty. Not only did the customer call me every foul name he could think of, lost the account. Learn from my mistakes. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Akweld View Post
    [SPAM MESSAGE REMOVED BY MODERATOR]
    Your days are numbered........
    Last edited by Tensaiteki; 06-30-2022 at 12:33 AM. Reason: DO NOT QUOTE SPAM MESSAGES!
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    ¼ Ton of Torches OFC-A/OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Lincoln Tomahawk 1000
    Ingersoll Rand T-30-14hp-25cfm
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

18. Likes Bob E. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Back in the day there were njot the places to shop and our old suppliers didnt step on our dick every time we bought something asnd often sold it the same as everyone else vs 3 tier pricing. The LWS is finally coming back to earth,,, big revelation the other dayt,,,, do you know,,, diy and hobby sales are now a big deal???? Wow! Who woulda thunk it? Ya mean they dont like getting jabbed in the *** with every rod? They lost me for a while unless I gotta fill bottles or buy big spool someone else doesnt have.
    I havnt used HF wire or rods but I been using 10 packs of wheels from there and the farm store and to tell the truth there isnt all that much difference between them and others but,,,, I havnt ran every expensive wheel I could find and the only difference I see betwwen a dollar one and 6$ is if a guy really leans on it hard,,,, so it cost another dollar wheel and when shop working where they are really used aq zing here and there most of the time I cant tell.
    Some of the best solid wire I ever use was generic white box,,, of course the LWS quit that and wemty to some brand crap never does work the same way twice.
    Sales llikely influence that,,, I was sketchy about that and it became obvious when I put a roll of Radnor or similar in following it,,, went back for more Chgina and they were sold out and dont stock it any more. Diuymb azzes should look at account history and some of them been there a long time, should notice I dont come in with a long list and now the list is short and I price every item.

Post Thanks / Like

I check price Amazon and Walmart most budget companies are sell on two site and trusted too.
    Last welding wire I purchased was Amazon but Walmart was very close.

I also use internet but hart to truste with my money just use PayPal.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by liberty_metal_worx View Post

Post Thanks / Like

With the price of gas, I have been working really hard to buy from companies that deliver for free. Amazon (with Prime) Baker Gas, Cyberweld, weldingsuppliesfromioc.com are all usual suspects for me. I purchased a 12 lb roll of wire, some contact tips and a new MIG liner from Baker's gas and it was free shipping. I have been getting more and more groceries and dog food from Amazon. Honestly the price of prime is worth it compared to the cost of driving to Petco, or some other store. The only thing I have tried to buy but couldn't would be a recessed MIG nozzle for my MM255. Limited availability due to supply chain disruptions
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

That HF wheel they used to sell and that still can be found at a few fleas isnt very good. But they are getting harder to find and haved replaced by a wheel cost 50 cents more but is quite good, good enough for companies all over the world to put a sticker on it. This is the current wheel I seeat HF and the ones I bought have been great, used to find them for a dollar but they were 1.50 in 10 pack last I bought. They are ijn expensive enough a guy isnt so tempted to wring thge last fdrop out of a little wheel which is what really slows down and leaves poor finish.

23. Likes TigGal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We found 7 inch disks at a discount store, were out and found a bunch, we use 1/2 of them on a job and going to hunt some more down at that price. Makes it painless to switch a wheel. I own a flap wheel or 2, bought it for a batteryu grinder and have never used one. My finish tool of choice is 7 inch sander 36 grit. The 4 inch on the left is my pic for cut off and wire wheel. Can feather the power, doesnt throw chunks like hard wheel, depending on disk condition can be fast, clean rust, paint, scale etc and leave smoother than it came from the mill.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sberry; 06-30-2022 at 12:18 PM.

25. Likes TigGal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered 70S-2, 308L, aluminum bronze tig rods and some tungsten from weldingsuppy.com. Try to find everything I need at one given time from one source, as long as costs are reasonable. So it could be from other online sources also. I stay out of the local airgas.
    Ernie F.

27. Likes shovelon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Get some stuff from Jones Welding Supply, Lowes, Cyberweld, Blaine Farm and fleet, and Northern Tool.
    Retired Old Guy

Hobart 210
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Evolution 14” Saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    I just ordered 70S-2, 308L, aluminum bronze tig rods and some tungsten from weldingsuppy.com. Try to find everything I need at one given time from one source, as long as costs are reasonable. So it could be from other online sources also. I stay out of the local airgas.
    UPDATE:
    That order from weldingsupply.com what 2 weeks ago today!!
    Nothing happening. No email, no response to emails sent. I did get someone on the phone last Thursday, 4 work days ago. I suspected something in my order was not in stock. The guy on the phone told me they had everything and my order would go out Friday or Monday. NOT. I was also informed in a snippy kind of way "there is 100 orders ahead of mine"! Let me do the math: 100 orders divided by 9 work days (I didn't include Jul 4) = 11 orders per day.
    Something is very wrong here, never had this problem ordering online before. At least they didn't charge my CC, (yet). Terrible service.
    Ernie F.

30. Likes 52 Ford, Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    UPDATE:
    That order from weldingsupply.com what 2 weeks ago today!!
    Nothing happening. No email, no response to emails sent. I did get someone on the phone last Thursday, 4 work days ago. I suspected something in my order was not in stock. The guy on the phone told me they had everything and my order would go out Friday or Monday. NOT. I was also informed in a snippy kind of way "there is 100 orders ahead of mine"! Let me do the math: 100 orders divided by 9 work days (I didn't include Jul 4) = 11 orders per day.
    Something is very wrong here, never had this problem ordering online before. At least they didn't charge my CC, (yet). Terrible service.
    Guess where I'm not ordering from...

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    Guess where I'm not ordering from...

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    I have ordered from them in the past without issues so I don’t know what the problem is.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

We buy a little all over and npot enough it makes sense to get complicated or bargain with the vendor who feels we should do lots of biz with him so we get a better deal. I try to splain, not doing what we do so we can buy lots of stuff from him.

Post Thanks / Like

Try Amazon and Walmart For some reason places like Cyberweld will have from time to time have better prices on Amazon and Walmart.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by NotaVegetarian View Post
    Get some stuff from Jones Welding Supply, Lowes, Cyberweld, Blaine Farm and fleet, and Northern Tool.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist