Closed Thread

Thread: Oxygen Nitrogen tanks

Post Thanks / Like

Oxygen Nitrogen tanks

Strange post coming up:

I am trying to help a friend save his wife's life. She plans to die via nitrogen inhalation. It's a very complex situation and we've discussed things with a number of people. We have determined that currently one of the best ways to safeguard her life is to fill the tank with oxygen or atmosphere. There are other steps being taken to safeguard her, but in the event she tried, this would allow at least a day to regroup (probably a week given the circumstances). While she doesn't have immediate plans, she is keeping this as her main option. Taking away the tank or emptying it right now would likely have her put another plan into play that may not be known. At least we know about this one. Anyway, there are other complexities (such as chronic illness) that make committing her extremely difficult and pretty harmful.

What is the best way to go about filling the nitrogen tank with atmospheric air or oxygen/a safe amount of oxygen. As per her suicide manual, the tank needs to be at 1500 psi for her to go ahead with her plan. I know that technically people aren't supposed to breath welder's oxygen, but given the circumstances, it is much better than the alternative. I also know that the tanks have different ¿connections/threading?. What connections would be needed to accomplish this? I know most tank filling companies probably wouldn't do this for liability reasons. I am looking into this now to see if I can find one that will. In the event that I can't, what other options for filling the tank would there be? Is it possible to rent equipment (or even buy) that would allow me to do this?

We value my friend's wife's life greatly and are doing everything in our powers to keep her safe while she gets help. If anyone has insights as to how to add this extra safeguard, I would be extremely grateful. Thank you!
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oxygen Nitrogen tanks

If this lady is hell bent on suicide I doubt she'll do it because most true suicidal people don't advertise their desire.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t do anything of the sort. Simply call one of the numbers below and get the real help you need.

Crisis Text Line Text HOME to 741741
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255
    Trans Lifeline 1-877-565-8860 (for the transgender community)
    TrevorLifeline 1-866-488-7386 (for LGBTQ youth)
    Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255, Press 1

4. Likes MinnesotaDave, Lis2323, motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another option, take her to the hospital and have her put in a 72 hour suicide facility. I've done that with a relative myself, it was very helpful.

Regardless, the welding forum is not where you need to be, seek medical help, leave the tank alone.

Best wishes for a safe recovery for her.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

6. Likes Lis2323, shortfuse, Munkul, farmall liked this post
Closed Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist