Thread: lincoln magnum pro 250lx problems

Post Thanks / Like

lincoln magnum pro 250lx problems

Hey Folks,

I've been running a 300mpx for a few months and its a good little machine. I bought the magnum for the aluminum option and only just recently plugged it in. Right out of the box the gas valve doesn't hold, and Ill have to disassemble the trigger
    mechanism to investigate. I installed a spool of Radnor 3/64 Aluminum wire and running 100% argon the thing is just all over the place. Ive tried long arc short arc, ran through the volt and wire speed ranges, ran the gas low and high, used the ready/set/weld feature, but cant find a sweet spot. The arc appears to hunt, randomly depositing, but mostly arcing right on the tip leaving globs and ruining tips. I'm planning to call lincoln tomorrow, but their customer services isn't what it used to be.

This isn't my cup of tea, and I'm hoping its something simple I'm overlooking. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: lincoln magnum pro 250lx problems

Did you calibrate it? I just got this with a Powermig 360MP, and burnt up 5 tips before realizing it needed to be calibrated. I would imagine its the same on your machine; should be a setting to manually calibrate it.

Make sure run in is off, and unscrew the neck and trim wire back to nothing. Set machine to 360 imp, pull trigger for 10 seconds, should be 60 inches of wire. Calibrate until you get it set. It takes a while. After that it runs much better.

Yeah, their customer service stinks for sure. I can't get the hot start and crater fill to work from the spool gun. Nor can I even get an answer on if it's the machine or gun. Super frustrating as the aluminum features are mainly why I bought this machine.
    Last edited by eclipse; 05-10-2021 at 08:04 PM. Reason: add on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    Did you calibrate it? I just got this with a Powermig 360MP, and burnt up 5 tips before realizing it needed to be calibrated. I would imagine its the same on your machine; should be a setting to manually calibrate it.

Make sure run in is off, and unscrew the neck and trim wire back to nothing. Set machine to 360 imp, pull trigger for 10 seconds, should be 60 inches of wire. Calibrate until you get it set. It takes a while. After that it runs much better.

Yeah, their customer service stinks for sure. I can't get the hot start and crater fill to work from the spool gun. Nor can I even get an answer on if it's the machine or gun. Super frustrating as the aluminum features are mainly why I bought this machine.
    What eclipse said above....... You'll find directions on calibrating your spool gun on page B-20 of your manual.....
    Lincoln 330 MPX
    Modified Tombstone
    Lincoln Activ8X / LN-25X-TVT
    Magnum PRO 250LX GT Spool Gun
    Ton of Torches OFC-A / OFG-A
    SMAW FCAW GMAW

Post Thanks / Like

Your problem is as likely to be wire feed related as anything else. As soon as you bring aluminium into the equation everything has to be perfect. Perfect liners, perfect tips, perfect feed roll pressure, U shaped rollers, etc. You can't even re-use tips once they're burned back, you'll grind back the end but leave the edge of the hole ragged and it will snag the wire and burn back soon enough again.

Are you getting birds nests?
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    Your problem is as likely to be wire feed related as anything else. As soon as you bring aluminium into the equation everything has to be perfect. Perfect liners, perfect tips, perfect feed roll pressure, U shaped rollers, etc. You can't even re-use tips once they're burned back, you'll grind back the end but leave the edge of the hole ragged and it will snag the wire and burn back soon enough again.

Are you getting birds nests?
    Calibration is completely tied to the wire feed and his 330 MPX has a built in calibration utility that will calibrate his spool gun and engine drive.
    Lincoln 330 MPX
    Modified Tombstone
    Lincoln Activ8X / LN-25X-TVT
    Magnum PRO 250LX GT Spool Gun
    Ton of Torches OFC-A / OFG-A
    SMAW FCAW GMAW