Thread: Off road rear bumper--Repair advice

Post Thanks / Like

Off road rear bumper--Repair advice

Off road this weekend my rear tire hit the ground coming out of a hole and I think torqued upward and bent the bolts that are attached to the pivot point. The pictures below show where my pivot points are threaded in. I had capped these 1/8" wall square tubes with some 10 gauge I had and that was obviously not strong enough as you can see it warped. Once of the nuts I welded on the inside so I could thread the bolt in busted loose during the hit as well.

Any advice on the best way to cut these caps out while maintaining a straight edge to mount the new cap to? I'm going to cap these ends with 1/4" thick pieces now. I was thinking I would just cut the middle of the old caps out and weld the 1/4" with the new hole right to the top, but I have a safety pin on the opposite end of the swingarm that wouldn't line up if the length changes by 1/4" if that makes sense.

I guess worst case I can fill in the old safety pin location and drill a new hole, but I'd rather not have to do that.

Name:  20210503_091217.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  20210503_091147.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  46.7 KB
    Name:  20210503_091202.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  42.9 KB

Photo for context
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Off road rear bumper--Repair advice

Well if it was mine I would lay out scribe lines 1/4" back with a combination square and carefully sever with a 4.5" cutting wheel on an angle grinder leaving 20% to clean up with a grinding disc against the scribe lines checking squareness the whole time with the square. Then I would make a single 1/4" plate to cover both tubes drilled and new nuts tacked on and weld in place.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

3. Likes Noidea87, MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Well if it was mine I would lay out scribe lines 1/4" back with a combination square and carefully sever with a 4.5" cutting wheel on an angle grinder leaving 20% to clean up with a grinding disc against the scribe lines checking squareness the whole time with the square. Then I would make a single 1/4" plate to cover both tubes drilled and new nuts tacked on and weld in place.
    Thanks, I was hoping there might be a trick I didn't know about, but it sounds like it'll be a lot of slow steady grinder work like what I thought. I don't have access to a table style band saw.

Post Thanks / Like

I would drill and tap a thicker plate. Cut back a little further with a cutting disc. Grind till square and weld it on with a bevel ground on the plate edges.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others.
    As for the nuts, I suggest using a threaded rod coupling instead of a basic nut.
    Here's an example

https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-Group...ts_id=16409941

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I agree with the others.
    As for the nuts, I suggest using a threaded rod coupling instead of a basic nut.
    Here's an example

https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-Group...ts_id=16409941

Oh yeah excellent. I was wondering about that. Kind of jenky, but I wonder if I could weld 2 3/4" nuts together then weld them onto the plate so more of the threaded portion is supported.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Noidea87 View Post
    Oh yeah excellent. I was wondering about that. Kind of jenky, but I wonder if I could weld 2 3/4" nuts together then weld them onto the plate so more of the threaded portion is supported.
    Sure you could weld 3/4" nuts together.
    I would use Extra Heavy Nuts. Extra heavy have lots more meat to them.
    Where you located ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Sure you could weld 3/4" nuts together.
    I would use Extra Heavy Nuts. Extra heavy have lots more meat to them.
    Where you located ??

I'm in the panhandle of FL.

Post Thanks / Like

what i would do is look for the next weak link spot on the tire carrier. would you rather beef up the bolt holes you have now or rather some other harder to get to and repair? the new repair spot might do more damage along with it.
    lincoln 125sp
    monkey wards 250 ac/dc
    miller 211 w/spool gun
    ahp 200 sx tig
    lotos ltp5000d
    of course duramax diesel

Post Thanks / Like

I was able to cut it very carefully and slowly with my angle grinder. I got it all square except for being about 2/16 off on the top side. Just need to grind the edges and repaint. We'll see how this holds up.

I did end up welding 2 nuts together on the inside for more support of the bolt.
    Name:  20210503_144329.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  95.4 KB

Name:  20210504_080216.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  50.7 KB