+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3/16 × 8" flat bar placement for maximum strength

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

3/16 × 8" flat bar placement for maximum strength

Here's the trailer below. I'm needing to stiffen the trailer overall. I have the above mentioned flat bar. I'm going to weld it flush on the inside of the trailer uprights.

Weld it to the bottom inside edge (3×3 angle) or the upper inside edge on round tubing. If I weld it to the bottom, I'll need to still cut out strap through holes. If I weld it to the upper, no such cut outs required

Name:  20210503_180216.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  208.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3/16 × 8" flat bar placement for maximum strength

You already have a fair amount of strength in the rails. I'd just add some chords of 2"x 2"x 3/16"" angle iron between the uprights and add chords along the fenders.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    You already have a fair amount of strength in the rails. I'd just add some chords of 2"x 2"x 3/16"" angle iron between the uprights and add chords along the fenders.
    I know with wood trusses if they want to strengthen one, they cover all or part with plywood or osb. Wouldn't that same principal apply here?

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you need to stiffin trailer ??
    Is the suspension shot ?
    Are the bushings inside equalizers,springs , and shackles OK ?
    That looks like its a manufactured trailer. It was enginneered for GVW on nameplate.
    If you need to stiffin, sounds like you need a larger load capacity trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand, I would think the frame would be plenty strong in the current configuration, if it were mine & I wanted to stiffen it more I woul triangulate diagonally between each upright. I worked with a fellow that got his hands on a disqualified hydraulic crane boom & built a gooseneck, I think it was 24 feet long plus the "tongue," the completed trailer weighed ar 14000LBS empty IIRC, he pulled it with a 3/4 ton chevy with a 454 with a manual 4spd & 3 speed brownie, 1 under, 1 direct drive & 1 over, he towed that rig from southern New Mexico to Pueblo Colorado, and back to his starting point several years later, he then towed it from southern New Mexico to somewhere in Oregon, I think he told me he was over 30000 on his first trip, he had no concerns of GVWR or safe capacity of the truck. He subscribed to the notion that "HEAVIER WAS STRONGER" I guess that's true .......to a point.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 05-03-2021 at 10:42 PM.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I don't understand, I would think the frame would be plenty strong in the current configuration, if it were mine & I wanted to stiffen it more I woul triangulate diagonally between each upright. I worked with a fellow that got his hands on a disqualified hydraulic crane boom & built a gooseneck, I think it was 24 feet long plus the "tongue," the completed trailer weighed ar 14000LBS empty IIRC, he pulled it with a 3/4 ton chevy with a 454 with a manual 4spd & 3 speed brownie, 1 under, 1 direct drive & 1 over, he towed that rig from southern New Mexico to Pueblo Colorado, and back to his starting point several years later, he then towed it from southern New Mexico to somewhere in Oregon, I think he told me he was over 30000 on his first trip, he had no concerns of GVWR or safe capacity of the truck. He subscribed to the notion that "HEAVIER WAS STRONGER" I guess that's true .......to a point.
    If the uprights were tubular, I'd agree, but since they be angled, that won't really work well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Why do you need to stiffin trailer ??
    Is the suspension shot ?
    Are the bushings inside equalizers,springs , and shackles OK ?
    That looks like its a manufactured trailer. It was enginneered for GVW on nameplate.
    If you need to stiffin, sounds like you need a larger load capacity trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Suspension is shot
    One axle is bent at the hub
    both axles been re-bent for canter a few times

Ain't spendin 6k for a new one and waiting 6 weeks or more since I can do some re-fab and such for 2k

picked up 7k axles, springs, 8 bolt wheels,14 ply tires for $1,500 today

I ordered the 8" already. The guy at the trailer shop that does repairs and builds some said he didn't think it made any difference where I put it. The guy that works for us who is fairly knowledgeable about a variety of things thinks it'll be better on the bottom. I told our guy this morning before I went to the trailer shop that it didn't matter top or bottom. He got very vocal in his disagreement......
    Last edited by sedgehammer; 05-03-2021 at 11:49 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist