Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    My TWECO 211 is not holding the AMP and Volt settings when I start my arc. I'll notice the weld doing strange things. Stopping the weld and looking at the machine, I see that both gauges read "000". After about 5 or 6 seconds, the settings will return, but as soon as I start the weld, everything zeros out again. Could it be the liner in my cable? Has anyone experienced the same affliction with their machine?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    AJO, ARIZONA
    Posts
    3,808
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    Check your cables, my little mig was acting crazy and a quick check of the DINSE connectoers fixed the issue, I had it set at about 19.3 volts and whatever the wire speed was, I don't remember but the volts would jump really high to like 80 volts, shoot the wire out like when loading a new roll and if it touched anything to complete the circuit the entire amount of wire would immediately get red hot. IMO, probably not your liner but I could be wrong. best wishes with it.
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    4,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    Highly likely you need a better ground connection close to your weld.

    And try what CAVEMAN suggested also.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    Check your cables, my little mig was acting crazy and a quick check of the DINSE connectoers fixed the issue, I had it set at about 19.3 volts and whatever the wire speed was, I don't remember but the volts would jump really high to like 80 volts, shoot the wire out like when loading a new roll and if it touched anything to complete the circuit the entire amount of wire would immediately get red hot. IMO, probably not your liner but I could be wrong. best wishes with it.
    Thanks for your suggestion, CAVEMANN. I did check both of my DINSE connectors, and since I had a TWECO 450 spraymaster cable and gun that I was running some .45 wire through, I switched to it to see if there was any difference. My welds seem to improve (I'm not sure if that was just because of me), but the display kept zeroing out during an arc, and it takes a bit to reestablish after I stop. The welds seem to be OK, though ... I'm puzzled ... something to do with the gun I am using ... maybe ....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Highly likely you need a better ground connection close to your weld.

    And try what CAVEMAN suggested also.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the reply, Lis2323 ... getting the ground close to my work was the first thing I tried - I also checked the DINSE connectors, but that didn't change the way the display zeroed out. I 'm not exactly sure what I am going to do with this machine yet.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,637
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    Is this a new to you machine or is this a machine you have had for a while and has recently started acting up?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    4,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    Did you try contacting ESAB?

    Hope you get it figured out.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Stoney Creek Ontario Canada
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    Hello My tweco 211 is doing the exact same thing what i have done was take off the cover and blew it out, the problem did go away for a few months but it is doing it again.Funny how it started just after the warranty ran out. I did run it off my generator for about a hour one time so i dont know if that had anything to do with it. My generator was brandnew Fireman 8000 and I just just use the welder for hobby use only and probably only have less than 100 hrs on it

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    2,618
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    This why do not electronic controller on welding machines.

    It maybe over heating do cooling fan not working or block air vent.

    Some manufacturer's will have a safety thermocouple and auto change settings to protect.

    FYI this may or may not be problem but something to check.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisK View Post
    My TWECO 211 is not holding the AMP and Volt settings when I start my arc. I'll notice the weld doing strange things. Stopping the weld and looking at the machine, I see that both gauges read "000". After about 5 or 6 seconds, the settings will return, but as soon as I start the weld, everything zeros out again. Could it be the liner in my cable? Has anyone experienced the same affliction with their machine?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Is this a new to you machine or is this a machine you have had for a while and has recently started acting up?
    I've been using this machine for a few years, now. It had been giving good service until just now. Switching gun cables doesn't seem to help. The weld quality is sporadic.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    Quote Originally Posted by John 53 View Post
    Hello My tweco 211 is doing the exact same thing what i have done was take off the cover and blew it out, the problem did go away for a few months but it is doing it again.Funny how it started just after the warranty ran out. I did run it off my generator for about a hour one time so i dont know if that had anything to do with it. My generator was brandnew Fireman 8000 and I just just use the welder for hobby use only and probably only have less than 100 hrs on it
    I'll give blowing out the innards a try. I do all my welding out of the shop, so I have always powered the welder with a generator - fact is, the sun has made a mess with the plastic face cover. Still, I should be able to expect to get a longer period of service from this thing. This problem is a disappointment.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    This why do not electronic controller on welding machines.

    It maybe over heating do cooling fan not working or block air vent.

    Some manufacturer's will have a safety thermocouple and auto change settings to protect.

    FYI this may or may not be problem but something to check.

    Dave
    k
    Thanks for the reply, Dave. I am going to take the cover off and see if there is something obvious that I can correct ... I'll check the cooling fan and thermocouple. I'm not sure what you are referring to when you warn against using an electronic controller - not sure what that is.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Stoney Creek Ontario Canada
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    Hi Dennis I bought my machine in 2016 and like I said very little use .I did use it on the weekend and it was still going to 0 and after about 14 seconds it would display the wire speed and voltage.I am thinking maybe some control board?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    2,618
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    A pain in the backsides.

    It one thing see easy to over look and the electronic repair guy can jump for joy on big fat bill for removing a blockage like a leaf.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisK View Post
    k
    Thanks for the reply, Dave. I am going to take the cover off and see if there is something obvious that I can correct ... I'll check the cooling fan and thermocouple. I'm not sure what you are referring to when you warn against using an electronic controller - not sure what that is.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Martha Lake, WA
    Posts
    347
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    Dennis and John - please post if you figure out what is going on. I have the same machine and am dreading the possibility of having the same problem.
    Tweco Fabricator 211i
    Sieg X2
    AMT radial arm drill press
    AMT belt/disk sander
    HF 4X6 bandsaw

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    622
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    Quote Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
    Dennis and John - please post if you figure out what is going on. I have the same machine and am dreading the possibility of having the same problem.
    Same here. I love my 211i, never had a problem of any kind, and this is the first case I've heard. Please let us know if you get a specific diagnosis.
    -Ruark
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Stoney Creek Ontario Canada
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    Will do Like i said I did buy the machine brand new in Febuary 2016 .When it started acting up in around March 2019 maybe because I used my generator to power it only about 3 times ( Firman 10000 duel fuel). V.ery disappointing as only has about 100 hrs on it It is a very nice machine to weld with when it works like it should

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    450
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    When you let off the trigger do your meters go back and show your settings? They don't stay at 000 right? Others out there that have 211's do yours show 000 while welding. I remember something about this from when I was a Tweco rep. If my fried memory serves me right, They all do that. I have a couple similar machines I'll see what they do and report back.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Martha Lake, WA
    Posts
    347
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    No, while I am welding my readouts show actual amps and volts, not the set ones. They switch back faster than I can usually turn my head and focus on them, so I have video'ed them to see how close I came to guessing what amps I was using based on wire speed and voltage.
    Tweco Fabricator 211i
    Sieg X2
    AMT radial arm drill press
    AMT belt/disk sander
    HF 4X6 bandsaw

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    When you let off the trigger do your meters go back and show your settings? They don't stay at 000 right? Others out there that have 211's do yours show 000 while welding. I remember something about this from when I was a Tweco rep. If my fried memory serves me right, They all do that. I have a couple similar machines I'll see what they do and report back.
    Yes, the meters go back to the original settings, but it takes about 15 seconds after I stop, to do that. I will start a bead, get spattering - just generally a mess, so I stop and look up at the machine and I see all zeros. About 10 to 15 seconds later, the settings will return. Holding the gun close to a scrap piece of steel, I pull the trigger while looking at the machine's display and I see that the amps immediately zeros out. Now, I would expect to see some fluctuations in the readings while welding due to fluctuations in the distance I hold the gun to my work, but I wouldn't expect to see my settings to be completely dumped.
    Currently, I am in the middle of a project, so I switched to my old transformer Holbart stick welder to finish what I'm doing. I have the TWECO bolted to a toolbox, and after I complete my project, I will take it down to further investigate this problem - should be another couple of days.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    Quote Originally Posted by John 53 View Post
    Hi Dennis I bought my machine in 2016 and like I said very little use .I did use it on the weekend and it was still going to 0 and after about 14 seconds it would display the wire speed and voltage.I am thinking maybe some control board?
    Yes, that could very well be the problem. If it is just a simple board swap, I wouldn't mind that so much, but what would cause the board to go bad in the first place ... things are rarely simple these days.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Stoney Creek Ontario Canada
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    Hi Dennis I hope it is not the generator that I run mine off a few times a year .My generator is a Firman duel voltage 10000 watt and I will try to find out what the THD is on the generator. Esab/ TWECO might recommend less than 5% THD for running the welder

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    Finally, I got some time to further investigate my broken TWECO. I decided to run some beads with various settings to see if there were any differences in the welds. I ran beads with settings for 18 gauge, 16 gauge, 1/8”, 3/16” and I tried setting to 1/4”, but the display would not go up as high as 326 – 21.2. So, I threw down beads for each setting I could dial in. The beads were all the same – regardless of the settings. They were all high piles with very little penetration, and they were grainy – like the gun was not giving very much shielding gas. . . Well, I now know what my problem was. The cable to the gun has two wires that go into a very delicate plug. The plug has a screw cap that tightens to the receptacle. With it tightened all the way into the receptacle, I noticed that the body of the plug sill rotated when I turned it with my fingers. It seems you can tighten the plug with the screw cap, but leave the plug body not fully engaged. Somehow the thing got pulled away from its receptacle without any indication from its tightening cap. So! Now I can dial in settings all the way up to 3/8” steel, and the beads are appropriate for the settings, with no graininess.
    Name:  Tweco plug.PNG
Views: 19
Size:  853.0 KB

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Problems with TWECO 211 welder

    No, I don't think you will have problems with running your welder on the generator because I have been doing it for a number of years. My problem was from a lose plug on the welder.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,623,732,266.47083 seconds with 14 queries