Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm excited. Aluminum stick.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm excited. Aluminum stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
    That’s a darn nice looking weld especially on AL. I doubt mine would look that clean on steel running downward.
    Thank You, but not downhill. All welds done flat.
    Fronius Transpocket 180
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    A inverter with a Aluminum stick setting makes life easier.
    Now that there was funny...

Post Thanks / Like

My INE Skyline 1500 inverter has a aluminum stick welding slope setting that works very well. What a great welding unit that is.. Jim here has one, and knows there is nothing funny about that machine.. I wish some of the advanced process Lincoln's /etc I had could weld half as nice..
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 60i- 3phase /RPC powered (Beast)
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yofish View Post
    Beauty weld for sure. These things have been around for a long time, no magical juice here, and are not useful whatsoever other than for what you did. You can't really make anything with them unless you are a masochist with too much time on your hands. BTW, a year after you buy them they are only useful for white elephant parties.
    This pack of 3/32" electrodes is still sealed in the cellophane, but I can feel they are wet.
    Name:  IMG_1896.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  102.0 KB

These are a few years old, and stored in a broken wine cabinet(fridge?) with all my other welding rod. I still haven't put a light bulb in it to keep the damp off. Its not oven, but when the fog rolls in off the mountain on the other side of the river, everything metal has water vapor condensing on it. Even still this 4043 3/32" didn't make it, right next to it is some 30 year old McKay 308-16, and its not crumbly.

Name:  IMG_1897.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  106.8 KB

Now it has a liquid flux paste https://www.weldingweb.com/images/smilies/laughing.gif

Name:  IMG_1898.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  104.6 KB
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Good to have in the toolbox, for sure if you need it.

Looks good/better than I thought it would if you had asked me before hand.
    Actually looks better than some spool gun stuff Iíve seen

Pretty cool.

Iím not sure what the point is bending it in a vice was.

If itís 6061 it will probably break in half.

I donít know much about testing aluminum weld but I donít think itís the same process as steelÖ

As in bent tests.

They bend aluminum as well just like steel. And 6061 needs more of a angle then that to bend

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    This pack of 3/32" electrodes is still sealed in the cellophane, but I can feel they are wet.

These are a few years old, and stored in a broken wine cabinet(fridge?) with all my other welding rod. I still haven't put a light bulb in it to keep the damp off. Its not oven, but when the fog rolls in off the mountain on the other side of the river, everything metal has water vapor condensing on it. Even still this 4043 3/32" didn't make it, right next to it is some 30 year old McKay 308-16, and its not crumbly.

Now it has a liquid flux paste https://www.weldingweb.com/images/smilies/laughing.gif

Yes, the flux is salt based and attracts moisture in a alarming rate. I have mine stored in vaccuŁm sealed bags inside an old fridge, but I'm still doubtfull about the time they will last before the flux starts falling off.
    The up side is. They are a good dessicant for my other electrodes(7018, 7016, 308 and 312 and some 6013)) which are stored in the same old fridge.
    Last edited by E T; 05-14-2021 at 05:06 PM.
    Fronius Transpocket 180
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post

Thanks, most people don't believe me even when I talk about something I know about. Just ask my kids. To add: I don't know why anyone would use 4043 (any process) for anything other than tread plate (why would anyone do that?) truck tool boxes or art projects. I understand the attraction as it is sooo liquid and smut free but strength is crap. Don't get me wrong, these have their place but as you found out, you better use em up, pronto.