+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Welder Dave update

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welder Dave update

I was on morphine shots regulated every couple of hours or so after a bad motor cycle accident. After 2 weeks of being in the hospital I wanted out. They winged me off of the morphine with a drug called Norco. In the hospital the Norco pills were white and worked about as good as the Morphine. I also had to start eating before I could take the pills. I couldn’t eat because my stomach was bruised and not functioning. Something like that anyway. After i drank some stuff that made me throw up I began feeling hungry again. That is when I was able to start taking the hospital grade Norco. I got out and filled the prescription but the pharmacy pills were yellow. I think the yellow were generic. I tried taking the yellow pills but I would feel terrible, sick to my stomach, Queezy and had a loss of appetite from them. So I tried again at a different pharmacy insisting on getting real not generic and not yellow Norco. Regardless I ended up with a second prescription that was yellow and produced the same side effects results. I ended up just roughing it. I understand what it is like having multiple bones broken, fractured, splintered and shattered all over the body and barely being able to move let alone breath because of intense pain. It’s no picnic that’s for sure but I’m pretty sure it still pales in comparrison to your situation Dave. I feel for you man. Hang in there and fight the good fight.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 05-11-2021 at 02:53 AM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave,

sorry to read this, all the best on your recovery, hope the cancer goes into remission.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    I was on morphine shots regulated every couple of hours or so after a bad motor cycle accident. After 2 weeks of being in the hospital I wanted out. They winged me off of the morphine with a drug called Norco. In the hospital the Norco pills were white and worked about as good as the Morphine. I also had to start eating before I could take the pills. I couldn’t eat because my stomach was bruised and not functioning. Something like that anyway. After i drank some stuff that made me throw up I began feeling hungry again. That is when I was able to start taking the hospital grade Norco. I got out and filled the prescription but the pharmacy pills were yellow. I think the yellow were generic. I tried taking the yellow pills but I would feel terrible, sick to my stomach, Queezy and had a loss of appetite from them. So I tried again at a different pharmacy insisting on getting real not generic and not yellow Norco. Regardless I ended up with a second prescription that was yellow and produced the same side effects results. I ended up just roughing it. I understand what it is like having multiple bones broken, fractured, splintered and shattered all over the body and barely being able to move let alone breath because of intense pain. It’s no picnic that’s for sure but I’m pretty sure it still pales in comparrison to your situation Dave. I feel for you man. Hang in there and fight the good fight.
    Apparently the Dilauded I take is 5 times stronger than Morphine. It has some bad side effects too. I dread if I ever had to throw up. Sometimes I just have no appetite and can't eat. Before I got on meds if I hiccupped would cause a spasm. Couldn't cry because it caused more pain. Sometimes just a slight difference in my breathing caused more pain. I really don't know how I got through the worst of it at home. Maybe people have some kind of extra adrenaline that comes out when really needed? I'm fighting as hard as I can. Just want to get over the hump where I feel good (most days) and could maybe get back to being able to drive places and see things.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 05-11-2021 at 01:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Adrenaline and the will that keep on keepin on.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    Hi Dave,

sorry to read this, all the best on your recovery, hope the cancer goes into remission.
    It can go into remission and be pushed back but Dr's. said it is a smart cancer and can hide for years and then come back! That's really scary and why I hope they come up with something to stop it from coming back. Actually more than scary! There have been major advances in treatment though. 10-15 years ago my prognosis might have been 3 years. Now (2015 latest comprehensive study) many are living past 10 years. Give me 20 and I'll be happy. LoL
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 05-11-2021 at 01:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am very sorry you in pain.

Get well soon
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    I'm just going by what the Dr's. are prescribing. If the Gabapentin is working, I'm in a lot of pain. Take the 12 hour Dilauded and have extra I can take as needed. They all have side effects though and that's the worst part. You have to take them for pain but they mess with your mind and how your body feels. I had almost no appetite today and just feeling completely burnt out since last night. The steroid I take (Dexamethasone) has bad side effects but is the most effective to slow the cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you can beat this, Dave. I'll be thinking of you.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Did the doctors express concerns for dietary changes. No atificial sweeteners, cut back on startches, ditch the alcohol and smoking, limit sugar to natural fruits and honey etc. No soda pop, etc etc. I'm a firm believer in how the diet plays a huge role in health and weather or not the immune system kicks cancers A$$! How is your diet? What is your fat index atm? I try to eat as many super foods as possible. Get a juicer and start juicing with kale and as many nutrient rich/dense greens as possible. I recently purchased 3 avacado trees. I love esting them plain right out of the shell, it has it's own bowl. Chemicals and drugs break your immune system. You have to be pro active and treat it like the fight it is.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 05-11-2021 at 06:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree

Dave

Did the doctors express concerns for dietary changes. No atificial sweeteners, cut back on startches, ditch the alcohol and smokung, limit sugar to natural fruits and honey etc. No soda pop, artificial sweeteners etc etc. I an a firm believer in how the diet plays a huge role in health and weather or not the immune system kicks cancers ***.

Post Thanks / Like

Did the doctors express concerns for dietary changes. No atificial sweeteners, cut back on startches, ditch the alcohol and smoking, limit sugar to natural fruits and honey etc. No soda pop, etc etc. I'm a firm believer in how the diet plays a huge role in health and weather or not the immune system kicks cancers A$$! How is your diet? What is your fat index atm? I try to eat as many super foods as possible. Get a juicer and start juicing with kale and as many nutrient rich/dense greens as possible. I recently purchased 3 avacado trees. I love esting them plain right out of the shell, it has it's own bowl. Chemicals and drugs break your immune system. You have to be pro active and treat it like the fight it is.
    I've never smoked and drink about 3 times a year. My sister suggesting making smoothies with all the good stuff thrown in. She says it's all chopped up so you don't really taste it but get the benefits. Right now I'm just trying to eat simple things like eggs and toast etc. Some days I have a pretty good appetite and some days no appetite at all. I lost 20-25 lbs. and was down to 149lbs. I'm about 5' 10" or 5' 11" so pretty avg. build. I can only eat so much and have to eat slow and take small bites. Some days I feel like I want to throw up if I try to eat anything. I'm sure my stomach shrunk with the weight loss. I also drink the shakes like Ensure with all the proteins and additives in it. My taste buds are kind of messed up from the meds which really sucks. Some foods and drinks taste how they should and other's not so much. I'm happy I feel better today but realized just lazing around I get pretty tired. Will be a total life change. Had a friend call me up and asked how long till I get back to normal. I said I'll never get back to the normal I was. I'll have a new normal. As long as it doesn't involve a constant ache and I can get around I'll be tickled. I'm not ready to let this consume me. Scary part is I was when the pain was at it's worst. That's behind me so lets hope for increasingly LESS pain. Really appreciate all the positive comments. It helps more than you know.

11. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shakes like bost well help
    Some will pickup fast food shake.
    At some point anything you or drink will help.

In 2018 on Chemothera I lost almost 60 pounds I am 6-1, I could not lose the weight any type of diet but Chemothera works.

Deve

I've never smoked and drink about 3 times a year. My sister suggesting making smoothies with all the good stuff thrown in. She says it's all chopped up so you don't really taste it but get the benefits. Right now I'm just trying to eat simple things like eggs and toast etc. Some days I have a pretty good appetite and some days no appetite at all. I lost 20-25 lbs. and was down to 149lbs. I'm about 5' 10" or 5' 11" so pretty avg. build. I can only eat so much and have to eat slow and take small bites. Some days I feel like I want to throw up if I try to eat anything. I'm sure my stomach shrunk with the weight loss. I also drink the shakes like Ensure with all the proteins and additives in it. My taste buds are kind of messed up from the meds which really sucks. Some foods and drinks taste how they should and other's not so much. I'm happy I feel better today but realized just lazing around I get pretty tired. Will be a total life change. Had a friend call me up and asked how long till I get back to normal. I said I'll never get back to the normal I was. I'll have a new normal. As long as it doesn't involve a constant ache and I can get around I'll be tickled. I'm not ready to let this consume me. Scary part is I was when the pain was at it's worst. That's behind me so lets hope for increasingly LESS pain. Really appreciate all the positive comments. It helps more than you know.

Post Thanks / Like

Information is out there. There are several channels I have subscribed to with regards to health.

hear is one that just popped up. I figured you might be interested.

Post Thanks / Like

This is very kind
    My wife looks all data for me.

Dave

Information is out there. There are several channels I have subscribed to with regards to health.

hear is one that just popped up. I figured you might be interested.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from the Cancer center. Go for Chemo there tomorrow. Waiting for blood test results but preliminary findings are great! Kidney function normal. Some number they use to tell how much cancer I have is 1/2 what it was when first diagnosed. (was 40 but now 20) Fantastic!!! Leaving the Cancer center talked to one of the volunteers there. Turns out he has Multiple Myeloma but his was in his chest area. He was first diagnosed in 2009!!!!!! I don't think it's a coincidence he just happened to have the same type of cancer I have. I think it's a sign and talking to him was the absolute best inspiration and motivation I could ever get. I feel great today! Back was sore from the car seat and ride but I can get more comfortable now I'm home. Might lay down for awhile. That was a lot of work for my body in a relatively short period. My taste buds seem better today too. Hopefully I'm on a roll. Dr. said about a month and a half and I'll be feeling good most of the time instead going day to day between feeling great and feeling crappy. Good! There is an end in sight to the feeling crappy and just aching days.

16. Likes Capt B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What type of Chemothera are you on.

If you get mouth sores ask for Magic Mouthwash.

Dave

Just got back from the Cancer center. Go for Chemo there tomorrow. Waiting for blood test results but preliminary findings are great! Kidney function normal. Some number they use to tell how much cancer I have is 1/2 what it was when first diagnosed. (was 40 but now 20) Fantastic!!! Leaving the Cancer center talked to one of the volunteers there. Turns out he has Multiple Myeloma but his was in his chest area. He was first diagnosed in 2009!!!!!! I don't think it's a coincidence he just happened to have the same type of cancer I have. I think it's a sign and talking to him was the absolute best inspiration and motivation I could ever get. I feel great today! Back was sore from the car seat and ride but I can get more comfortable now I'm home. Might lay down for awhile. That was a lot of work for my body in a relatively short period. My taste buds seem better today too. Hopefully I'm on a roll. Dr. said about a month and a half and I'll be feeling good most of the time instead going day to day between feeling great and feeling crappy. Good! There is an end in sight to the feeling crappy and just aching days.

Post Thanks / Like

Very sorry to hear, Dave. God bless you, prayers your way. Stay strong and never give up
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

19. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember the names of the chemo treatments I'm getting??? I've been filled with so much info I can't comprehend it all. I do know I'm scheduled for a bone marrow/stem cell transplant in about 3 month's and I'll need to stay at the clinic for 3 to 5 weeks depending on how I react. That kind of sucks but the care you receive there is 5 star! I joke with some of the nurses I can fire them since my name is the same as the director of the Cancer Institute. No mouth sores but my taste buds are really wonky. Stuff I normally like tastes awful and some things have no taste at all. I thought a creamsickle would give me a nice taste and keep my mouth from being too dry. Almost no taste except when I pulled the last bite off the stick. I got wood taste in my mouth. I'm still looking forward to much better days ahead. Thanks again for all the well wishes and support. It really helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Here website that can help.
    https://www.cancer.org/cancer/bone-c...motherapy.html

FYI Best way to till how the treatment is working is you need less pain pills.

Dave

I don't remember the names of the chemo treatments I'm getting??? I've been filled with so much info I can't comprehend it all. I do know I'm https://www.cancer.org/cancer/bone-c....htmlscheduled for a bone marrow/stem cell transplant in about 3 month's and I'll need to stay at the clinic for 3 to 5 weeks depending on how I react. That kind of sucks but the care you receive there is 5 star! I joke with some of the nurses I can fire them since my name is the same as the director of the Cancer Institute. No mouth sores but my taste buds are really wonky. Stuff I normally like tastes awful and some things have no taste at all. I thought a creamsickle would give me a nice taste and keep my mouth from being too dry. Almost no taste except when I pulled the last bite off the stick. I got wood taste in my mouth. I'm still looking forward to much better days ahead. Thanks again for all the well wishes and support. It really helps!

22. Likes JimboTN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm on way lower doses but the plan is to get me off Dilauded which is Hyrdromorphine (sp). Basically a Morphine but 5 times stronger than standard Morphine. Something I take makes me have nightmares but after the nightmare I've been sleeping all night which is good. The nightmares seem to always involve me getting in trouble or people abusing me.

Post Thanks / Like

I always look at little golds
    Like golds in getting off or reducing pain pills.

Dave

FYI I am at chemo right now it is pain but need.

I'm on way lower doses but the plan is to get me off Dilauded which is Hyrdromorphine (sp). Basically a Morphine but 5 times stronger than standard Morphine. Something I take makes me have nightmares but after the nightmare I've been sleeping all night which is good. The nightmares seem to always involve me getting in trouble or people abusing me.

Post Thanks / Like

Here Dave I’ll put just one more video related to diet. It’s not easy nor probably the best time to implement fasting but at some point it might be beneficial and worth consideration.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave,
    Very sorry to hear of your predicament, my thoughts are with you and I hope you get through this well.
    These cancers work on a subatomic level (for want of a better word). There is nothing you can put in your mouth (or other openings) that can fight or cure it. Don't start eating kale and tofu because some sheister claims to have cured himself and wants your money. Ignore know nothing do gooders giving diet advice.
    There is only one way, medical science and clinical haemotologists with brains the size of a planet. They will fix you, do what they say.
    Cheers buddy, all the best!

27. Dislikes N2 Welding disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznme View Post
    Hi Dave,
    Very sorry to hear of your predicament, my thoughts are with you and I hope you get through this well.
    These cancers work on a subatomic level (for want of a better word). There is nothing you can put in your mouth (or other openings) that can fight or cure it. Don't start eating kale and tofu because some sheister claims to have cured himself and wants your money. Ignore know nothing do gooders giving diet advice.
    There is only one way, medical science and clinical haemotologists with brains the size of a planet. They will fix you, do what they say.
    Cheers buddy, all the best!
    This is absurd way of thinking. It is a proven fact that nutrient rich diets boost the immune system and can help further build new healthy Midocodria cells and stem cells. Yes I agree with following the plan of a credited well renowned doctors and leading edge research scientists.

I know you are not promoting eating a poor diet thinking stem cell transplants and chemicals from a lab will be a cure all. It would be fruitless to go through all the struggles and procedures outside of the daily pains and not do everything possible to give your self the best fighting chance possible of having a healthier longer life.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 05-13-2021 at 05:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course it's important to have a healthy balanced diet, same as everyone. Any modifications to diet will be organized by the heamotologist not some utube hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am glad your healing , I been laid up all winter also both knees replaced and then covid + I started drinking chocolate protein shakes I had one every morning managed to keep some weight on and any meds weren’t so hard on my stomach .
    Wishing you a speedy recovery it is hard to sit around after being an active person your whole life
    Prayers are with you

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist