+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Welder Dave update

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welder Dave update

Thus far, age 64, despite a mountain of family history of cancer I haven't had it. Had a scare or two. Thyroid turned to Jello, doctor removed it, not cancer.
    I can't say I've been there. That said, I'm feeling the terror you feel now. I fear nothing except Alzheimer's more!

Fight the good fight, everyone is rooting for you. I pray this proves to be more a fright than a fight.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

2. Likes Welder Dave, John Bartley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Here Dave I’ll put just one more video related to diet. It’s not easy nor probably the best time to implement fasting but at some point it might be beneficial and worth consideration.

So you're trying to give advice to an oncology patient under the care of a clinical haematologist. Who are you to do that? Shame on you. If the haematologist thought what you are peddling was any benefit he would prescribe it, it's in his interest that his patients recover. I bet he won't prescribe it because what you are promoting is all BS.
    So you gave me a dislike for exposing you, just shows what you are.

Post Thanks / Like

Read it again. I did not say follow it to a T. I also said it is probably not the best time to start fasting but if you suck down alcohol, cheese burgers, deep fried chicken and eat a ton of sugar then naturally you are not doing your self any favors. You are just ignorant to say such. None of my tips were BS as you put it. If you have a problem with me or any of my posts take it up with me in pm. Furthermore I am quite confident Dave is capable of deciphering through BS.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 05-13-2021 at 07:52 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

5. Likes Welder Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You know nothing about me yet you call me ignorant. You give advice to an oncology patient to fast, are you getting a cut of that utube money? You're just digging a bigger hole for yourself. If you keep your mouth shut people might not find out what you really are, but it's too late now.

Post Thanks / Like

You're right Wasntyou. What was I thinking.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Ignorance # 1 saying I suggested he start fasting now.

Ignorance # 2 suggesting I get paid to link youtube videos.

What are you smoking?

Post Thanks / Like

WOW WOW WOW!!! Maybe it would have been better if I just said I have hours to live and wanted to say good bye? Advice on my diet is taken as a suggestion good or bad. I am the only one who will make that decision. No different than advice given for welding on here. If kale is great but my taste buds(because of meds)make it taste like ****, maybe I'll try something else. I started this thread because a member sent me a PM asking if I was OK. I thought other members might be interested. It appears they were. Thank you! I didn't expect a "heated" argument about what advice I should be taking. I feel great today but reading these latest posts, am shaking my head. Nobody had a gun to my head demanding I do something or try something... At the worst pain I would have been grateful! Yes I was there.

I went for chemo today and it was simple and went great. 2 injections and 2 chemo meds. pills. 10 of Dexamethasone (steroid) and 5 of another drug I don't know the name. Hate the side effects of the steroid but can take Seroquel if needed to help counter side effects. My MX track can open on Sat. and I have help to do it. I'm a HAPPY camper! Please leave the negative crap out of this thread. I'm trying to be as positive as I can and keep my twisted sense of humor. I am not calling anyone out especially some that are just making suggestions that have helped them.

Thanks for reading

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

@N2 I'm not in CA, that's your lifestyle choice, you probably mix it with kale too.

@ Welder Dave. I sincerely apologise for hijacking your post, it was not my intension to do so. I get aggravated by unqualified and unknowledgeable people (even if they are well meaning) that try giving advice to people going through the fight of their life. Ask me how I know (actually please don't, trying to forget all that and get on with a happy life). I appreciate you sharing your journey and I wish you a speedy recovery. N2 will have another smart-A comment but I won't respond anymore so this thread gets back on track.

11. Dislikes Welder Dave disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but I don't think a real sincere apology includes arrogant responses to another poster just offering advice on what has helped him. You hijacked the thread and most in my condition I think (don't know) might just stop posting all together if they started a big controversy. It is off topic after all. Certain Dr.s are totally against homeopathic, chiropractic and other methods that have helped thousands of people. Some Dr's. think they are the only ones capable of helping people feel better. I have great Dr's. who specialize strictly with Cancer and the type I have. I listen to them but am open to all suggestions.

Thank you very much Woznme for the well wishes! They are very much appreciated as are all others. A simple apology for hijacking the thread would have sufficed. I'm not holding it against you as I know where you're coming from. The 1st response to my thread is an example. I've done some Tig welding but most was over 30 years ago. Mostly watched a lot of aluminum done at a specialty shop I went to for work experience. I had forgot and said I had never heard of preheating the metal with the Tig torch. Anything the shop I was at that needed preheat was heated with a torch or large pieces with a weed burner. They had an Airco/Miller 330 AB P I believe is the model and did a lot of aircraft work. First response poster(????) to this thread took exception and said I was not a welder and just good at looking stuff up on the internet. I had forgot and mis-spoke. I later remembered the Tig torch can be used for preheat in some cases. He has had a grudge ever since. I think my other posts and explanations, the members on here can decide for themselves if I know what I'm talking about. They can take it or leave it, their choice. All that and I do fully accept your apology. The more people on my side the better. I want to beat this damn cancer thing!

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I found on Chemothera (5FU) you will automatically will be on Fasting.
    You have no choice.
    Today I have more than one drugs and foods so I avoid auto Fasting.

The best news about Chemothera is give very good chance of living a happy life.

I am very happy to live in the 2000's

I will do my best to keep negative out of my postings.

I too spent 3½ hours at chemo today.
    I will be doing Chemothera till end of August.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    WOW WOW WOW!!! Maybe it would have been better if I just said I have hours to live and wanted to say good bye? Advice on my diet is taken as a suggestion good or bad. I am the only one who will make that decision. No different than advice given for welding on here. If kale is great but my taste buds(because of meds)make it taste like ****, maybe I'll try something else. I started this thread because a member sent me a PM asking if I was OK. I thought other members might be interested. It appears they were. Thank you! I didn't expect a "heated" argument about what advice I should be taking. I feel great today but reading these latest posts, am shaking my head. Nobody had a gun to my head demanding I do something or try something... At the worst pain I would have been grateful! Yes I was there.

I went for chemo today and it was simple and went great. 2 injections and 2 chemo meds. pills. 10 of Dexamethasone (steroid) and 5 of another drug I don't know the name. Hate the side effects of the steroid but can take Seroquel if needed to help counter side effects. My MX track can open on Sat. and I have help to do it. I'm a HAPPY camper! Please leave the negative crap out of this thread. I'm trying to be as positive as I can and keep my twisted sense of humor. I am not calling anyone out especially some that are just making suggestions that have helped them.

Thanks for reading

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

FYI I am happy to read your post on cancer as I try help any way I can.
    The data that my wife and myself have can help any one.

On internet they taking about Lipitor type drug will increase your chances by 30%. Sent this link to my GP Doctor with links. Since my GP Doctor want me Lipitor it easy to get a RX. I hope it helps I posted the links below.

https://www.mdlinx.com/article/the-c...HVrBMXT7w2Rl5D

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/...ins-fact-sheet

Dave

I'm trying to be as positive as I can and keep my twisted sense of humor. I am not calling anyone out especially some that are just making suggestions that have helped them.

Thanks for reading

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

&^%$ server closed saying I had a had problem and had to restart. Not other option than power button on computer. Lost a text I was almost done. That really sucks!

I guess I'm lucky my chemo took less than an hour. The stem cell transplant will be 3 to weeks though.

The Cross Cancer Institute is one of the top cancer centers in Canada (maybe N. America)and deals specifically with all types of cancer and nothing but! I am on a regular diet and need to gain weight. I was down to 148lbs. but up to 160lbs. yesterday. About 15 more to go. Some days I have no appetite. I listen to the Dr's. because they know there stuff! Care is 5 star luxury resort for the most part.

Some of the hospital nurses tried to pull some knock and bull on me. Debi has worked for Alberta Health services for 42 years! She currently works at an extended care facility getting a multi-million dollar addition. She was the administrative assistant for 17 years. She is currently the (part time, not really) Staffing Resource Coordinator. You get asked for an interview and you go through Debi! She helps pre-screen all new hires and is extremely busy due to Covid and other factors. People have to be off for 14 days for example if the test positive for covid. Now need someone to replace them. Before that she worked at a Veterans Care Facility and won awards for customer service. You aren't going to pull the wool over her eyes on how the Alberta Health Care system works!

She worked at front reception at the Vet Center and greeted people coming in among other things. She was the only one who could calm down one of the residents who had dementia. One day she phoned me but asked me to be Mr. Henderson to calm Leonard down. I obliged as he talked about having steak and mashed potatoes and stuff. Every Thursday he would come to see Debi and have an A&W Root Beer with her. When he burped he said, "That was the Root Beer talking"! Debi and few others attended his funeral. Everybody cried when they played his favorite song... "You are my Sunshine". Debi asked a sister if there was a Mrs. Henderson? Yes, they lived down the street and and Leonard and family would have supper with them and play with their kids. Apparently Leonard's mom was not well mentally. Finally the mystery was solved. He was Debi's favorite but she loved most of the residents. Oddly had a very awkward dinner with an employer who was buying us dinner at Christmas time. His wife worked at Safeway and gave gift certificates. His wife's father was admitted to the Vet Center for a period. Not long but was there. The wife couldn't wait to get him out. Complained there was no staff and about pretty much everything else. Debi remembered her and was biting her tongue. She said they have staff (she helped hire them) but a lot of people don't realize how a Veteran Care facility works. (they don't have a personal staff that caters just to one resident) Oh man was it uncomfortable after that!!! Thanks for supper but you can have the gift certificate back???

I AM IN GOOD HANDS!
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 05-14-2021 at 01:11 AM.

16. Likes mcspeed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The good news your diet planed works. Weight Watcher and others just do not work.. Just write book on your diet (how to loss weight that works) and make millions.

I tell my Doctor's for God is to guide her or his hands ✋.
    I also tell the nurses if loss weight i will wear a diver's belt so scale read right.

Dave

&^%$ server closed saying I had a had problem and had to restart. Not other option than power button on computer. Lost a text I was almost done. That really sucks!

I guess I'm lucky my chemo took less than an hour. The stem cell transplant will be 3 to weeks though.

The Cross Cancer Institute is one of the top cancer centers in Canada (maybe N. America)and deals specifically with all types of cancer and nothing but! I am on a regular diet and need to gain weight. I was down to 148lbs. but up to 160lbs. yesterday. About 15 more to go. Some days I have no appetite. I listen to the Dr's. because they know there stuff! Care is 5 star luxury resort for the most part.

Some of the hospital nurses tried to pull some knock and bull on me. Debi has worked for Alberta Health services for 42 years! She currently works at an extended care facility getting a multi-million dollar addition. She was the administrative assistant for 17 years. She is currently the (part time, not really) Staffing Resource Coordinator. You get asked for an interview and you go through Debi! She helps pre-screen all new hires and is extremely busy due to Covid and other factors. People have to be off for 14 days for example if the test positive for covid. Now need someone to replace them. Before that she worked at a Veterans Care Facility and won awards for customer service. You aren't going to pull the wool over her eyes on how the Alberta Health Care system works!

She worked at front reception at the Vet Center and greeted people coming in among other things. She was the only one who could calm down one of the residents who had dementia. One day she phoned me but asked me to be Mr. Henderson to calm Leonard down. I obliged as he talked about having steak and mashed potatoes and stuff. Every Thursday he would come to see Debi and have an A&W Root Beer with her. When he burped he said, "That was the Root Beer talking"! Debi and few others attended his funeral. Everybody cried when they played his favorite song... "You are my Sunshine". Debi asked a sister if there was a Mrs. Henderson? Yes, they lived down the street and and Leonard and family would have supper with them and play with their kids. Apparently Leonard's mom was not well mentally. Finally the mystery was solved. He was Debi's favorite but she loved most of the residents. Oddly had a very awkward dinner with an employer who was buying us dinner at Christmas time. His wife worked at Safeway and gave gift certificates. His wife's father was admitted to the Vet Center for a period. Not long but was there. The wife couldn't wait to get him out. Complained there was no staff and about pretty much everything else. Debi remembered her and was biting her tongue. She said they have staff (she helped hire them) but a lot of people don't realize how a Veteran Care facility works. (they don't have a personal staff that caters just to one resident) Oh man was it uncomfortable after that!!! Thanks for supper but you can have the gift certificate back???

I AM IN GOOD HANDS!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear of your "challenge" but happy to hear that you are back in the real world (sort of). You've been missed but I just thought you were highly involved in work or some super secret project involving extra-terrestrials. Keep us posted. You'll be in my prayers for a return to health and that you be surrounded by compassion.
    Dillon/Henrob/Cobra 2000, Victor 100FC, Meco-N-Midget, Hobart HH187, Miller Thunderbolt 225AC, Razorweld Vipercut 30A Plasma, and lots of grinders

Post Thanks / Like

Just a suggestion but after 3 years on Gabapentin dealing with all of its bad side effects, my doctor switched me to Lyrica and it has affected me much less and reduced my neuropathy to the point where I'm getting 5 or more hours of relief a night.
    Well, thought I was replying to someone above who was dealing with problems taking Gabapentin but it doesn't look like I did it right or it was attached to wrong posting. If I did it wrong...sorry...if I did it correctly and it winds up attached to whoever was having Gabapentin problems then I'm old, sometimes confused, heavily medicated for my challenges....and I apologize for this edit.
    Anyway, glad you're having good days Dave and that your treatments are providing relief and a more positive prospect for the future.
    Last edited by JimboTN; 05-15-2021 at 02:29 PM.
    Dillon/Henrob/Cobra 2000, Victor 100FC, Meco-N-Midget, Hobart HH187, Miller Thunderbolt 225AC, Razorweld Vipercut 30A Plasma, and lots of grinders

Post Thanks / Like

I agree
    I was on Lyrica in 2010-2013
    But my GP doctor will not give to me.
    Back in 2010 it was off lable use and I was steady to see how worked for chemo side effects.

Thank you
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JimboTN View Post
    Just a suggestion but after 3 years on Gabapentin dealing with all of its bad side effects, my doctor switched me to Lyrica and it has affected me much less and reduced my neuropathy to the point where I'm getting 5 or more hours of relief a night.

Post Thanks / Like

Really sorry to read of your health issues, Dave. I appreciate your taking the time to post. I'd also say you've got a lot of courage. Persevering through something like that has to be really difficult. Hoping for our complete recovery.
    Jim

22. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sending positive vibes to you W Dave. My father was diagnosed with cancer in ‘95 and ‘97. Had treatment and is alive today! You got this my friend, stay strong! All of us here are pulling for you!
    Miller 350 Dynasty
    Miller Trailblazer
    Miller 625 Plasma
    Died and needs a new circuit board so its an expensive boat anchor now
    Lincoln Power MIG
    Victor oxy/acetylene
    Hyperthem 85

24. Likes N2 Welding, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope you get things leveled out a bit, Dave. Hang in there and keep us posted. We have also encountered the "not fit to change a bedpan" medical staff, even in "top" hospitals. My wife has been a Nurse Practitioner for 30 years and knows EVERYTHING about the medical profession, and we see this every day. Indeed, there are a LOT of doctors and paraprofessionals out there that I wouldn't allow to make a cup of coffee, much less treat a serious illness. When you find a good one, stay with him. Take care, Bro.
    -Ruark
    "Become one with the puddle, grasshopper" - Welding Instructor
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

26. Likes Welder Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Had some really good nurses. It's beyond frustrating when you get nurses with an attitude or have no clue what kind of pain you have. Got sick and tired LoL of continually having to tell a different nurse not to try to help me move or try to rush me. I had to do all the movements by myself. If I need some support I would ask for it. Moving 1/2" the wrong way could cause major spasms. One nurse said they are so used to routine bed rolls it becomes second nature. Had a nurses aide with attitude tell me to stop fighting them when they re-positioning me on the bed. I'm not fighting you. I'm moving so it's the least painful for me! Yes your pulling the pad under me the the left but I'm rolling slightly to my right side because it's way less painful to be slid this way. A couple days later this same nurses aide (not an RN)came in and still had an attitude with me. I think she got a realty check or an RN tuned her in when I said as calmly as possible "Can I have a different nurse for the rest of the night" She said "sure" as I won't say stormed out but.... Later at 12am a nurse came in to check my vitals and the aide was with her. All of a sudden she was super nice and asked if she could check my incontinence pad. Yes. Then she told me to have a really good night. I would think the last thing you want to hear as a caregiver is a patient doesn't want you looking after them.

I'm doing pretty good now that I'm home again.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

My Oncologist Doctor change my rx to Lyrica.
    She does not like Gabapentin.
    It was my GP doctor that put on Gabapentin.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JimboTN View Post
    Well, thought I was replying to someone above who was dealing with problems taking Gabapentin but it doesn't look like I did it right or it was attached to wrong posting. If I did it wrong...sorry...if I did it correctly and it winds up attached to whoever was having Gabapentin problems then I'm old, sometimes confused, heavily medicated for my challenges....and I apologize for this edit.
    Anyway, glad you're having good days Dave and that your treatments are providing relief and a more positive prospect for the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Had some real rough days following chemo. Also had the C-Diff. gut bug that is really bad. Had to go cancer center to get rehydrated on IV. Have a strong prescription mouthwash and taking lots of anti nausea meds. I couldn't swallow anything but appear to be improving. What the heck else is going to go wrong??? Finally got to try out my new computer chair and it's very comfortable and easy on my back.

Post Thanks / Like

I sent 4 days in hospital for rehydrated and diarrhea

I have magic mouthwash for bad days. I found using magic mouthwash ever day helps stop the mouth sores.
    If need to know a good drug diarrhea just email me, I can post here.

A good chair is great any day of week.

I tell everyone chemo is life.

Dave

Had some real rough days following chemo. Also had the C-Diff. gut bug that is really bad. Had to go cancer center to get rehydrated on IV. Have a strong prescription mouthwash and taking lots of anti nausea meds. I couldn't swallow anything but appear to be improving. What the heck else is going to go wrong??? Finally got to try out my new computer chair and it's very comfortable and easy on my back.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI I found using magic mouthwash haft to one hour be for eating works the best. If try using soon the food has very little taste. Hours be for the magic mouthwash is wearing off.
    The anti nausea pill needs taking be for magic mouthwash. I found about 1 ½ hours be for eating.
    Yours maybe different.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Magic mouthwash has lidocaine to freeze so have to leave it for 1/2 hour after taking. Meds really mess with my taste buds. Really cold like ice chips helps. Made some orange juice and raspberry juice ice cubes that have some taste and keep my mouth from getting too dry. Also taking the anti-nausea meds. I'm improving but still can't swallow whole foods. This is what I take but pretty sure it has lidocaine too:

https://sir5r.com/2015/07/01/akabutus-mouthwash/

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist