+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Powerstroke having battery or starter issues possibly.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Powerstroke having battery or starter issues possibly.

Turned over very fast with the new starter. Even heard it kick exhaust out the header somewhere it turned over so fast lol

2. Likes MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Better check your exhaust charcoal cannister. That kick may have busted the charcoal contained in the mystical catalytic converter :/
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Been driving my girlfriends Toyota echo and that little thing is pretty zippy around town. I need to do my front steering system next. I’m planning on getting all the parts from rock auto and get moog parts. I think my rear end is going too. I can feel it slip a little sometimes after letting the clutch out then putting my foot on the pedal and after accelerating there’s a small dead spot. Might just need new gears not sure. Probably a good time and chance to step it up a gear ratio. I think it’s 3:73 now which works pretty good but little lower would be nice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Been driving my girlfriends Toyota echo and that little thing is pretty zippy around town. I need to do my front steering system next. I’m planning on getting all the parts from rock auto and get moog parts. I think my rear end is going too. I can feel it slip a little sometimes after letting the clutch out then putting my foot on the pedal and after accelerating there’s a small dead spot. Might just need new gears not sure. Probably a good time and chance to step it up a gear ratio. I think it’s 3:73 now which works pretty good but little lower would be nice
    There might be some gears slipping, but I don't think they're in the diff...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

6. Likes N2 Welding, Dave66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Moto, get in a good parts store, you can get GOOD military style cable ends that are made correctly for the terminals, you can also get copper lugs to crimp or solder on, I would go this route on my vehicle and did the Ambulance cables this way. This style terminal gives you a good high quality clamp that has a bolt for adding cables an wires as needed. What everyone is telling you about replacing both batteries is SPOT ON, a battery that is going bad will suck th juice(and life) from a new/good battery, as far as the statement made about bad batteries ruining the starter, I disagree unless it's done over an extended period of time. FYI, that Powerstroke has a minimum cranking speed before the ECM will trigger the injector to deliver fuel, I think it's 100 RPM'S IIRC. I spent over 13 years repairing and fixing 7.3 Powerstrokes so I do have a little experience.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

I took the good used battery back and got the money back and bought two new batteries. My cables and terminals look pretty new. Thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    There might be some gears slipping, but I don't think they're in the diff...
    I’m going to check my u joints. The tire did move a lot when I had it in the air a while back.

Post Thanks / Like

Caveman
    Your not wrong.
    It's just on a powerstroke with a manual transmission if the alternator is not charging properly at an idle you may not notice it. With an automatic transmission you know right away because the transmission won't work properly.

11. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IAMsteelworker View Post
    First things first charge both batteries unhooked from the truck. Then take them to get tested. If they check out good and you think it's the starter take it off and have it tested. If thats good check the solenoid and all the wires going to batteries,grounds, solenoid and starter. If one battery is bad replace BOTH, not just one. That will kill your one good battery you didn't replace.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    This is what I do.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

I had it tested off the truck, Just a bench test. It did spin fast, I heard it back there but there was no load on the starter so spinning just the starter is easy. He said it passed but I was sure it was bad which it was

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    I had it tested off the truck, Just a bench test. It did spin fast, I heard it back there but there was no load on the starter so spinning just the starter is easy. He said it passed but I was sure it was bad which it was
    Yup

Testing without a load is pointless
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

moto, if the truck does not start, does the tachometer register while cranking, if not, you've probably got a bad cam sensor.
    @bcguide, I forgot he had a manual tranny.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 05-16-2021 at 06:02 PM.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Well, again,,, depends on whether or not his '01 has the '02s electrics (not sure that was ever established...).

Pre '01 the CPS showed cranking rpm on the Tach. All 02-3's do not. Some 0'1s have 2000 electrics and some have '02 electrics (the new cluster, now a module, can't tell you anything about CPS function anymore)

Post Thanks / Like

Does the tach operate as mentioned only on diesel engine trucks?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BaTu View Post
    Well, again,,, depends on whether or not his '01 has the '02s electrics (not sure that was ever established...).

Pre '01 the CPS showed cranking rpm on the Tach. All 02-3's do not. Some 0'1s have 2000 electrics and some have '02 electrics (the new cluster, now a module, can't tell you anything about CPS function anymore)
    Our 03 E series showed RPMS, and I think our later E series with the 6.0 also showed RPMS while cranking, IIRC. N2, I don't know on the gas motors.
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

So now it turns over nicely but won't start??????????

Has anybody pulled the codes on this thing? Probably a dead end, but might not be. https://www.superdutypsd.com/codes.php

Post Thanks / Like

Powerstroke having battery or starter issues possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    So now it turns over nicely but won't start??????????
    Who Knows….

Deciphering Moto’s posts is like trying to translate the Dead Sea Scrolls.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist