Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: How much are you guys paying for rent?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    1,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    How much are you guys paying for rent?

    My current place is getting a little cramped. Thinking about getting a bigger shop. But there are very few available in my neck of the woods, and what is available, the prices seem nuts. Looking at about $1.00 per foot per month at the cheapest, $1.50 for something nicer. I don't understand how that could even work for a welding shop, unless you do a night shift and week ends.

    What are you guys paying?
    Ian Tanner

    Kawasaki KX450 and many other fine tools

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mount Tabor VT
    Posts
    7,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How much are you guys paying for rent?

    At no time in life have I paid rent. Built my first on my parent's land at age 16. At 21, a neighbor (sort of a surrogate grandfather) said: "I guess if we want you to stay around you'll need a place to stay." He sold me a small lot. I later bought another adjacent lot. Bought land my in laws put on the market. A couple years ago I bought my parent's home from siblings. Like Dr. Seuss's Onceler, I keep biggering.

    I certainly understand the need to rent, I have always avoided it. I built my house myself at 23 mostly by liquidating a collection of classic cars, then a small loan.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How much are you guys paying for rent?

    What other people in the country are paying doesn't really matter if you're in a high rent area.

    But I was paying around $3k a month for 6000 sq ft up until I bought a building recently. I was there probably for 7 years.

    You can go to loopnet.com to find out what properties around the country are going for. It's a commercial real estate listing site so it's searchable by location, property type, rent or lease, etc.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mid-East
    Posts
    2,566
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How much are you guys paying for rent?

    This is the main reason that I'm a mobile welder.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    2,636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How much are you guys paying for rent?

    Buy a ranch or portable welding.
    Most costumers like having work done in there yard or shop the up side no rent.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by fortyonethirty View Post
    My current place is getting a little cramped. Thinking about getting a bigger shop. But there are very few available in my neck of the woods, and what is available, the prices seem nuts. Looking at about $1.00 per foot per month at the cheapest, $1.50 for something nicer. I don't understand how that could even work for a welding shop, unless you do a night shift and week ends.

    What are you guys paying?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Near Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How much are you guys paying for rent?

    Quote Originally Posted by fortyonethirty View Post
    Looking at about $1.00 per foot per month at the cheapest, $1.50 for something nicer.
    I don't understand how that could even work for a welding shop, unless you do a night shift and week ends.

    What are you guys paying?
    Around Roanoke VA,, right now, a home (nice home) rents for $1 per square foot,, a really nice home is under $1.50 per square foot, per month.

    From 2000 to 2008 we rented a shop that was clean but basic, (no air conditioning) for $1,000 per month, the shop was 4,000 square feet.
    with the economic downturn in 2008, we talked the landlord into REDUCING the rent to $500 per month,,

    It is a nice building, 40X100 feet,, well insulated, gas heat, HIGH bay ceiling,, 15 feet, IIRC,, it even had LOTS of sky lights.

    In 2012, the rent went back up to $1,000 per month,,
    In 2015, the rent went up to $1,200 per month,, we moved out,, (remember, that building is 4,000 square feet)
    So, $0.30 per square foot per month was too much for rent for a shop until recently,, here,,

    I watched that building, as I passed it occasionally, it did not rent until 2019,, it sat empty for over 4 years.

    So, rent depends a LOT on where you are located,,,

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Plymouth ID
    Posts
    1,179
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How much are you guys paying for rent?

    Only thing you can do is raise your rates, untill its doable or move elsewhere But if your having that problem all the other shops are to. start bumping your rates untill work actually slows down think you will be suprised At what the market will bear.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  8. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  9. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    4,366
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How much are you guys paying for rent?

    Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    Only thing you can do is raise your rates, untill its doable or move elsewhere But if your having that problem all the other shops are to. start bumping your rates untill work actually slows down think you will be suprised At what the market will bear.
    I agree. If you do good work don't be afraid to charge accordingly.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  10. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  11. #9
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    4,656
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How much are you guys paying for rent?

    I guess I'm lucky, I have nearly 6,000 square ft for $1500 per month... But I'm in the middle of nowhere.
    I rent from a farm that swallowed up a couple of other farms and this building is surplus to their needs. It helps that them and 3 others are my best customers too. The owners do not hold anything over my head... They wait in line like everybody else. Purely a business deal.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    4,366
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How much are you guys paying for rent?

    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    I guess I'm lucky, I have nearly 6,000 square ft for $1500 per month... But I'm in the middle of nowhere.
    I rent from a farm that swallowed up a couple of other farms and this building is surplus to their needs. It helps that them and 3 others are my best customers too. The owners do not hold anything over my head... They wait in line like everybody else. Purely a business deal.
    Wow pretty cherry situation!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  13. #11
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    4,656
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How much are you guys paying for rent?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Wow pretty cherry situation!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly. If they could find their own people to do what I do, I might be out of a job. Or not.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,624,490,532.45088 seconds with 13 queries