+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much are you guys paying for rent?

Post Thanks / Like

How much are you guys paying for rent?

My current place is getting a little cramped. Thinking about getting a bigger shop. But there are very few available in my neck of the woods, and what is available, the prices seem nuts. Looking at about $1.00 per foot per month at the cheapest, $1.50 for something nicer. I don't understand how that could even work for a welding shop, unless you do a night shift and week ends.

What are you guys paying?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much are you guys paying for rent?

At no time in life have I paid rent. Built my first on my parent's land at age 16. At 21, a neighbor (sort of a surrogate grandfather) said: "I guess if we want you to stay around you'll need a place to stay." He sold me a small lot. I later bought another adjacent lot. Bought land my in laws put on the market. A couple years ago I bought my parent's home from siblings. Like Dr. Seuss's Onceler, I keep biggering.

I certainly understand the need to rent, I have always avoided it. I built my house myself at 23 mostly by liquidating a collection of classic cars, then a small loan.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

What other people in the country are paying doesn't really matter if you're in a high rent area.

But I was paying around $3k a month for 6000 sq ft up until I bought a building recently. I was there probably for 7 years.

You can go to loopnet.com to find out what properties around the country are going for. It's a commercial real estate listing site so it's searchable by location, property type, rent or lease, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the main reason that I'm a mobile welder.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy a ranch or portable welding.
    Most costumers like having work done in there yard or shop the up side no rent.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by fortyonethirty View Post
    My current place is getting a little cramped. Thinking about getting a bigger shop. But there are very few available in my neck of the woods, and what is available, the prices seem nuts. Looking at about $1.00 per foot per month at the cheapest, $1.50 for something nicer. I don't understand how that could even work for a welding shop, unless you do a night shift and week ends.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fortyonethirty View Post
    Looking at about $1.00 per foot per month at the cheapest, $1.50 for something nicer.
    I don't understand how that could even work for a welding shop, unless you do a night shift and week ends.

Around Roanoke VA,, right now, a home (nice home) rents for $1 per square foot,, a really nice home is under $1.50 per square foot, per month.

From 2000 to 2008 we rented a shop that was clean but basic, (no air conditioning) for $1,000 per month, the shop was 4,000 square feet.
    with the economic downturn in 2008, we talked the landlord into REDUCING the rent to $500 per month,,

It is a nice building, 40X100 feet,, well insulated, gas heat, HIGH bay ceiling,, 15 feet, IIRC,, it even had LOTS of sky lights.

In 2012, the rent went back up to $1,000 per month,,
    In 2015, the rent went up to $1,200 per month,, we moved out,, (remember, that building is 4,000 square feet)
    So, $0.30 per square foot per month was too much for rent for a shop until recently,, here,,

I watched that building, as I passed it occasionally, it did not rent until 2019,, it sat empty for over 4 years.

So, rent depends a LOT on where you are located,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Only thing you can do is raise your rates, untill its doable or move elsewhere But if your having that problem all the other shops are to. start bumping your rates untill work actually slows down think you will be suprised At what the market will bear.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

8. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    Only thing you can do is raise your rates, untill its doable or move elsewhere But if your having that problem all the other shops are to. start bumping your rates untill work actually slows down think you will be suprised At what the market will bear.
    I agree. If you do good work don't be afraid to charge accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

10. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm lucky, I have nearly 6,000 square ft for $1500 per month... But I'm in the middle of nowhere.
    I rent from a farm that swallowed up a couple of other farms and this building is surplus to their needs. It helps that them and 3 others are my best customers too. The owners do not hold anything over my head... They wait in line like everybody else. Purely a business deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    I guess I'm lucky, I have nearly 6,000 square ft for $1500 per month... But I'm in the middle of nowhere.
    I rent from a farm that swallowed up a couple of other farms and this building is surplus to their needs. It helps that them and 3 others are my best customers too. The owners do not hold anything over my head... They wait in line like everybody else. Purely a business deal.
    Wow pretty cherry situation!!

:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Wow pretty cherry situation!!

Exactly. If they could find their own people to do what I do, I might be out of a job. Or not.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist