Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scrap Metal

Post Thanks / Like

Scrap Metal

Hi folks. Where can I pick up some scrap metal? I live in a big city, and want to avoid spending money on warehouse metal.

I'm sure some great ideas are out there, but I have no clue where to find this stuff. It's for my brand new flux core welder. Never used it.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scrap Metal

It really varies with location. Some scrap yards will sell to the public, and others won't. Some metal outlets have random/cutoff racks that you can pick through, so that's another option.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

It would help if we knew where you is.

Post Thanks / Like

If there are fabrication shops near you, go and ask them if you can get some scrap from their scrap bin. Big fabricators will "throw out" steel a hobbyist would think belongs on a rack ready to use. If they charge you won't be much. Their scrap bin just goes in for recycling anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I am downtown Toronto.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't even know where to look for such a beast. Since I'm downtown, I'm doubting many manufacturing companies will be down here. I'll have to do some research.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to the industrial parks or where the manufacturing is being done. Internet or a phone book will give you names of steel fab or welding shops. It's not going to be right outside your front door. You have to do a little leg work but shouldn't be hard to find in Toronto.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya what you're talking about is a dedicated drive away. That's the problem. Just looked one up. 22-45 minutes one way. I thought there would have been something more local for small stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daBee View Post
    Ya what you're talking about is a dedicated drive away. That's the problem. Just looked one up. 22-45 minutes one way. I thought there would have been something more local for small stuff.
    What about municipal / local government garages? Surely Toronto and surrounding suburbs have shops where (for example) school buses and garbage trucks are repaired and serviced? I bet they'd have a scrap bin. Here locally in the middle of nowhere, I went to the local school bus shop and got a bunch of huge leaf springs for blacksmithing for the princely sum of nothing.

10. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    What about municipal / local government garages? Surely Toronto and surrounding suburbs have shops where (for example) school buses and garbage trucks are repaired and serviced? I bet they'd have a scrap bin. Here locally in the middle of nowhere, I went to the local school bus shop and got a bunch of huge leaf springs for blacksmithing for the princely sum of nothing.
    Farm and heavy equipment dealers too. Truck repair shops... I usually have a bin full that goes to scrap at least once a month.

Post Thanks / Like

Scrap metal is like leftovers, You can make sole good stuff out of leftovers. lol
    Lincoln 330 MPX
    Modified Tombstone
    Lincoln Activ8X / LN-25X-TVT
    Magnum PRO 250LX GT Spool Gun
    ¼ Ton of Torches OFC-A / OFG-A
    SMAW FCAW GMAW

Post Thanks / Like

What are you making? If you've never used a welder, are you looking for something to run beads on?

I can buy a 20' stick of 1/8"x6" for less than $30, and that's a lot of metal to practice running beads on even if you cut it into small coupons and run at all sorts of angles. Any big city like yours should have a steel retailer that supplies the factories around town with stock to use in their on-site machine/fab shops.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Kelvin; 05-12-2021 at 10:27 PM.

15. Likes welding1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There ya go! Look for metal suppliers or fab shops, a lot of shops generate enough scrap to keep the little guys in good shape, I bought some 1/4x12"x72" that had been earmarked for the scrap bin, it's out there, you just need to do some footwork.
    Good luck.
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

Is the OP serious? 30 minutes or so away is too far to get a good deal on some scrap steel? That's a dedicated drive? I doubt anyone selling steel is going to deliver it to your door downtown unless you're buying a boat load of it. I'm curious how old daBee is? He wouldn't want anything thicker than maybe 3/16" for his new Flux-Core welder and even that is suspect depending on how many amps it puts out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Is the OP serious? 30 minutes or so away is too far to get a good deal on some scrap steel? That's a dedicated drive? I doubt anyone selling steel is going to deliver it to your door downtown unless you're buying a boat load of it. I'm curious how old daBee is? He wouldn't want anything thicker than maybe 3/16" for his new Flux-Core welder and even that is suspect depending on how many amps it puts out.
    lol.... I've got a 15 mile drive to pick up my f'n Purolator packages.... my heart bleeds.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I think maybe the OP thinks buying scrap steel should be like going to a 7-11.

Except in whtbaron's case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

20. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like it! A steel rack at 7-11. Great for when you get the itch to weld at 2am and need some steel. Princess Auto sells steel in shorter pieces but the prices are crazy.

22. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Surrounding suburbs is the same drive. I'll have to poke around to see what's up. Nothing is serviced downtown except for streetcars. Being in the middle of nowhere is a huge difference from where I live. My two-car garage is a coveted item. It's illegal to rent out spots like this, as it became habit to do so for many, at $50-$100/day. My two-car garage is apparently worth $100,000. Real estate has since gone through the roof, so no repairs downtown.

Post Thanks / Like

Buying steel is like going to Metal Supermarket. 30 minutes for small scrap pieces (I'll reiterate that I'm not picking up leaf springs. I'm doing small stuff in my garage, for items in my office) is a morning gone for me. At no point did I say delivered to my door, and yes it's a dedicated drive.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya the two places down by me, Ontario Salvage and Cooper's, are now gone. Super Metal Recycling, is the place that is the closest, and the one that's usually 20-40 minutes to get to, at 10 am. Finding things on a map isn't the problem. I write software and have a business based on maps. You need to find travel times in Toronto. That's also on Google maps. Check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing yet. Just trying to find light stuff. People bring up truck springs. Nothing like that. It's for household items like computer monitor mounts, hanging shelves, light stuff. I found Metal Supermarket.

Post Thanks / Like

How old am I? I'm 52. How old are you? I don't have time to drive 30 minutes to buy scrap steel. I'm not welding a whirligig for my front lawn. I'm looking for practice pieces and making small stuff for around the house and office. Why wouldn't I be serious? Driving for an hour erases the "good deal" on scrap steel. I don't own a 10 ton truck to pick it up in, if you think that's the case. I own a convertible and just want some light stuff. I was asking, thinking there might be a regular place to find light stuff, but I keep getting answers about truck parts.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you need to read more. Buying scrap is the same thing as buying anything new. Scrap means they're tossing it out. And yes, buying metal is like going to a 7-11.

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/metals/

Do you not know about these places? This is the very reason I'm asking in here. I bet you don't do much research, do you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daBee View Post
    I think you need to read more. Buying scrap is the same thing as buying anything new. Scrap means they're tossing it out. And yes, buying metal is like going to a 7-11.

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/metals/

Do you not know about these places? This is the very reason I'm asking in here. I bet you don't do much research, do you.
    Supermarket is the highest priced place for me.

However they do have a table of small offcuts near the door, sometimes it's cash no tax, sometimes it's free because they don't want to run the register and paper work.

Scrap is not thrown away, it has value.

You can put an ad in the kijij wanted scrap steel for free, but there are hundreds of folks running down scrap for a living and you can never beat them to it.

Where do you get your car fixed ?
    If you ask, maybe you can get permission to scavenge their bin, but if you do it without permission - it's stealing and they have camera video.
    No brake disc or drums, they are cast iron.

Princess auto, Canadian tire, Home depot, they all have angle iron for sale, expensive but you don't really need much.
    Last edited by 12345678910; 05-13-2021 at 12:42 PM.