+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drilling Metal

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Drilling Metal

I'm an Disabled American VET living in Lima Peru. Just got ito welding out of necessity for a workshop I'm building. [https://freeimage.host/mrgfc/?list=i...3&seek=Kpl1oP]

I have watched video after video on building stuff... welding, bolting, and drilling. I see people drilling holes with these:
    Name:  1 step bit.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  106.8 KB
    all day long like a hot knife through butter. Can anyone link me a website that sells a good set of these, please. The set I found here dulled after the first use.

Regards,
    Mr.C

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drilling Metal

You can reshaping that type of cutter.
    It is a sheet metal drill typical found at AC suppliers and electronics suppliers.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.GfC View Post
    I'm an Disabled American VET living in Lima Peru. Just got ito welding out of necessity for a workshop I'm building. [https://freeimage.host/mrgfc/?list=i...3&seek=Kpl1oP]

I have watched video after video on building stuff... welding, bolting, and drilling. I see people drilling holes with these:
    Name:  1 step bit.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  106.8 KB
    all day long like a hot knife through butter. Can anyone link me a website that sells a good set of these, please. The set I found here dulled after the first use.

Regards,
    Mr.C

Post Thanks / Like

Um, I know you've been a member for a long time and have lots of posts, but I have to disagree with you that this bit is just for sheet metal.
    Here is a link to a that shows what I mentioned before "I have watched video after video on building stuff... welding, bolting, and drilling. I see people drilling holes with these all day long like a hot knife through butter. "

Post Thanks / Like

Not just for sheet metal - they are great when you want a tapered, stepped hole in thick metal..
    Joking aside, they are also called unibits - check out the section on them in the drill bit wiki. Mostly for sheet stock in gauges thinner than the width/length of the steps
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_bit#Step_drill_bits
    Last edited by jrporter; 05-12-2021 at 11:15 PM.
    Tweco Fabricator 211i
    Sieg X2
    AMT radial arm drill press
    AMT belt/disk sander
    HF 4X6 bandsaw

Post Thanks / Like

Those Unibits are best used in fairly thin material
    because each step on the bit is short. I like them
    for drilling in electrical panels because with only
    one Unibit and a set of knockout punches,I can
    make any size hole I need up to 2”. ( I don’t really
    like using hole saws in steel).What I don’t like about
    them is the cost and the fact that when the tip
    dulls, the whole bit is useless, unless you use
    a twist drill to start the hole. They also have a
    tendency to grab when one step breaks through
    and the next one starts. They cut pretty fast, but
    I don’t know if I’d say “like a hot knife through
    butter”.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Post Thanks / Like

Go slow and use oil. As said, best on thinner stock 11 gauge max (in my opinion, not trying to start an argument).

From another old vet.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

Post Thanks / Like

Unibit step drills will bore through thicker (10 gauge + ) steel like a hot knife through butter ... until it doesn't. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Use screw machine drill bit for 18 gauge and up.
    Easy to to re-sharpen I would buy this type by the gross to keep the cost down.

I would start with 3/16" pilot hole then drill up to 11/16" hole size.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.GfC View Post
    Um, I know you've been a member for a long time and have lots of posts, but I have to disagree with you that this bit is just for sheet metal.
    Here is a link to a that shows what I mentioned before "I have watched video after video on building stuff... welding, bolting, and drilling. I see people drilling holes with these all day long like a hot knife through butter. "
    Last edited by smithdoor; 05-13-2021 at 11:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Uni-bits are for sheet metal cabinets mainly as they were originally designed but then the Chinese saw the value in making them a house hold item.

They can be used in what ever you want to use them in. Obviously if you like the results for what your doing by all means but they were meant for sheet metal.

To get any of them worth owning you have to pay the price for a good one. Most run of the mill Ebay Amazon cheap junk it going to be pretty worthless unless all you work with is plastic and even then it will never function like a quality piece will.

Plan to pay something like $50-$90 or thereabouts depending on the size your looking for.

I own several high quality cobalt ones from Irwin and Greenlee but for me personally I almost despise them. They just suck for most everything IMO.

I prefer to use the Greenlee hydraulic knockout punch when I want clean accurate holes in sheet metal cabinets or whatever it is. If it is smaller holes use a regular bit and if it odd size or whatever I use a hole saw.

Holes saws I have ever bit in every arbor I have replaced with hardened steel rod NOT a drill bit. That way you use a drill bit separate in the drill to make pilot that way the rod holds the holes saw true while you making the hole. A drill bit pilot bit just wallers out the hole and can't keep hole saw on track.
    Last edited by danielplace; 05-19-2021 at 02:07 PM.

10. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn that was a little hard to read. Sorry guy's was in a hurry and didn't proof read. Lots of mistakes and can't edit nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

It is happens to me.
    If on computer it does happen but smart phone it not so smart.
    I forget to prof read all time and with autocorrect and big fingers on the smart phone 📱 look out.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    Damn that was a little hard to read. Sorry guy's was in a hurry and didn't proof read. Lots of mistakes and can't edit nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Smithdoor (Dave), I understand where your coming from about the big fingers (I have the same problem) but the way you string sentences together sometimes makes no sense and are hard to interpret. Sorry, just an observation.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist