Thread: Crappy, black, porous welds

Post Thanks / Like

Crappy, black, porous welds

I have a Hobart 190 and am running E71T-11 .035 flux core wire on this project. Welding 1/8" and 3/16" bar and angle hot-rolled mild steel. I am not a beginner, but still very much a novice. The welds are short, just the width of the stock, so 1-1/4" , 1" at a time. Most surfaces were cleaned of mill scale but some were not. No matter the welder setting (within reason) or the travel speed, the welds were black, porous, nasty-looking. Then, after maybe 12-14 welds, everything cleared up and nice silvery welds returned.

The welder has a 10-lb roll of the wire in it, and is stored in my garage. Colorado's climate is very dry, but it's been a wet and cold spring. Could moisture penetrate the wire and cause this problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crappy, black, porous welds

Absolutely! The outer layer of wire would be more susceptible to moisture pick up. Wrapping the wire up when not in use may help. Feeding a few rolls off the spool may be the best option though. The wire has a graphite coating (why your hands get black) to help limit moisture pick up and rusting but could get rubbed off easily or something like that. It sounds like your welds cleared up and I suspect that is the reason for the flaws. Normally E71-T11 runs real nice albite a of smoke. Another option is carefully taking the spool off so it can't unravel and taking in the house when not being used.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see before and after photos and the wire
    I am sure Welder Dave is right but a photo is worth a thousand words.
    What input voltage are you using with Hobart 190.

I use E71T-11 0.030 wire and the wire works great in my HF170

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Earl View Post
    I have a Hobart 190 and am running E71T-11 .035 flux core wire on this project. Welding 1/8" and 3/16" bar and angle hot-rolled mild steel. I am not a beginner, but still very much a novice. The welds are short, just the width of the stock, so 1-1/4" , 1" at a time. Most surfaces were cleaned of mill scale but some were not. No matter the welder setting (within reason) or the travel speed, the welds were black, porous, nasty-looking. Then, after maybe 12-14 welds, everything cleared up and nice silvery welds returned.

The welder has a 10-lb roll of the wire in it, and is stored in my garage. Colorado's climate is very dry, but it's been a wet and cold spring. Could moisture penetrate the wire and cause this problem?
    Last edited by smithdoor; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Welder Dave and Dave. I'll try and get some photos uploaded this weekend.
    If you mean the supply voltage to the welder it's a 230VAC dryer circuit, 30 amps. If you mean voltage to the gun, the HH190 voltage control is tapped and no display. I was running #3 or #4 (out of 7) on the voltage, depending on metal thickness.
    Yes, I really like the E71T-11 wire, it's been great on a lot of projects. Just need to figure out this issue. I've read somewhere that flux core wire has a "best before" aging problem. This roll is over 2 years old (hobbyist) so wondering if that's a contributing factor.

Post Thanks / Like

You may add 3 wire plug to dryer circuit so do not have to pull out dry each time weld. If marred and forget to plug the dryer the second plug you will have happy wife as dryer is plug in all time.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Earl View Post
    Thanks Welder Dave and Dave. I'll try and get some photos uploaded this weekend.
    If you mean the supply voltage to the welder it's a 230VAC dryer circuit, 30 amps. If you mean voltage to the gun, the HH190 voltage control is tapped and no display. I was running #3 or #4 (out of 7) on the voltage, depending on metal thickness.
    Yes, I really like the E71T-11 wire, it's been great on a lot of projects. Just need to figure out this issue. I've read somewhere that flux core wire has a "best before" aging problem. This roll is over 2 years old (hobbyist) so wondering if that's a contributing factor.

Post Thanks / Like

Mr Earl, one method of helping your wire to last longer- between projects- is to use desiccant packs- small paper envelopes that contain anhydrous material that will absorb water vapour pretty aggressively.

https://www.amazon.com/desiccant-pac...esiccant+packs

IF you don't remove the wire roll- and put it in a bag with desiccant packets? Then just putting them in the wire housing cabinet laying on the bottom and then taping the lid closed with painter's tape also helps to keep the wire from picking up moisture.

Just a thought, if it turns out your wire was contaminated by ambient moisture while stored in the housing of the MIG "machine"?

Cheers,
    Kevin Morin
    Kenai, AK

Post Thanks / Like

So the problem appears almost certainly to be moisture (humidity)-related. I welded some more within a day or two of the "debacle" and it ran good from the get-go. I suppose I could just run some wire out and waste it if the problem recurs, not sure if I can seal the welder cabinet well enough for dessicant to work well. And I'm too lazy to remove and re-install the roll on any kind of frequent basis.

And Dave, I already did just what you suggested with the dryer plug: double-receptacle setup so the dryer never gets unplugged. Just have to remind the wife not to run the dryer when she sees the welder cord plugged in!