Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aead200le

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aead200le

Forgive me about the switch. It should have been DPST and I said DPDT. On the bright side, it will work but two off positions.

If your getting grinder power ( ac100hz) then the charging system must be working and it looks like a like that's how the exciter works from schematic. I have no experience with millers but they have good schematics.

The S1 switch 3 pole single throw does three things. Auto idle, auxiliary power and weld power. You know the auto idle and auxiliary works. I would verify the third pole of S1 is making connection for weld. If it's good then I would trace schematic to the next solid state device and or check continuity in suspect coils. Hope that helps. Have you emailed Duane55? He would know common failures.

Edit
    Edit edit
    It looks like S1 need to be switched to weld from power to weld. Makes wiring S1 slightly more complicated but I think try switching aux power to weld for welding. I don't know but that's what it looks like in schematic
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Insaneride; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to ask... So the fine adjustment rheostat has a bad spot about 95%. Am I able to jump the terminals so I get the 100% needed for generating power just to see if the generator works? I don't know why I didn't think of that before but it could be the last problem to get the machine working.

I would hate to buy a new rheostat and set it to 100% then have it burn the wire like the old one. But... It's only money right?

Insane, I'll reply to you in a little bit when I have some more time.
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Miller AEAD200LE (not running yet)
    Hobart MIG

Post Thanks / Like

Got another update.
    I fought with the carburetor multiple times trying to get the machine running like it should and finally got a smooth idle

After that I had to figure out why it wasn't generating power..
    I thought it had to do with the idle speed or a switch but started looking and found that the resistor tap bands were bad.
    One rusted completely in half and the other was in bad shape.
    Cut them off and had to improvise to check if the machine was going to work.
    .. So here's what I didName:  20210601_185801.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  97.2 KB

Name:  20210601_185833.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  131.8 KB

It worked!! So now I need to find the tap clamps for the resistors which I can't seem to find anywhere...
    Then it's just fine adjusting everything to get voltage and hz and idles where they need to be.
    Right now it's making 122v at 63hz at the receptacles. 95hz at the weld 100hz receptacle.
    And the battery seemed to be charging a bit low at 12.8-9v

I really appreciate the help guys
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Hobart MIG

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know where I can get the resistor tap clamp or have a part number for it? I can't find it anywhere online
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Hobart MIG

Post Thanks / Like

Those clamps shouldn't be difficult to fabricate. Use some sheet copper and they won't rust away again. Hobby lobby would be the first place to look.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about making my own if I have to. I would rather use original just to make it easy but either way I'll figure something out
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Hobart MIG

Post Thanks / Like

Other Miller machines have similar resisters so clamps shouldn't be hard to get. I had a Trailblazer 55D with similar resistors.

Post Thanks / Like

For anyone who needs the band/clamp/lug for the resistors part number Miller (052 782).

I believe this is the correct part. I'll know in a few days when I get them.

Ohmite part number #2125E

Name:  Screenshot_20210603-112947_Chrome.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  90.0 KB
    Last edited by SquirmyPug; 1 Week Ago at 10:17 AM.
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Hobart MIG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    For anyone who needs the band/clamp/lug for the resistors part number Miller (052 782).

I believe this is the correct part. I'll know in a few days when I get them.

Ohmite part number

Name:  Screenshot_20210603-112947_Chrome.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  90.0 KB

Thanks for the link squirmy,

I was going to suggest making them from nickle shims and brass screws/nuts.

So is it running and welding now with temporary copper taps?

The charging voltage sounded low from you previous post. It must be charging if your getting aux power. That's the way it looks from schematics. I don't know tho

Post Thanks / Like

Does one of those resistors control battery charge voltage??
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    Thanks for the link squirmy,

I was going to suggest making them from nickle shims and brass screws/nuts.

So is it running and welding now with temporary copper taps?

The charging voltage sounded low from you previous post. It must be charging if your getting aux power. That's the way it looks from schematics. I don't know tho
    It's running really good and making voltage on the power side and voltage on the welding side. Welding ac voltage is about 70v and DC voltage is about 60v so both are a little low but I think weld speed needs to be bumped up a little and then adjust the taps on the resistors. I haven't tried adjusting the resistors with the temporary taps I made so hopefully I can get everything within spec after I get the parts
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Hobart MIG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    Does one of those resistors control battery charge voltage??
    I believe it does but I'm not 100% sure. When I get the new resistor lugs I'll find out
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Hobart MIG

Post Thanks / Like

Adjusting the position of the straps on those resistors changes the voltage output, one is for weld output, the other is for the 120 volt output.
    Before you do that, make sure your rpm's are set. Best to use a meter with frequency, at generating speed with no load you want 62 hz on your 120 outlets, and on the 100 hz outlet, 100 hz will be 3000 rmps for weld speed.
    I dont know offhand which resistor is which, should be easy to see as you adjust each. You want 80 volts open circuit on the AC weld output, and 120 on the outlets.
    Only takes minor adjustment, so stay close to where the straps look like they were originally positioned.
    Last edited by Poleframer; 1 Week Ago at 12:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poleframer View Post
    Adjusting the position of the straps on those resistors changes the voltage output, one is for weld output, the other is for the 120 volt output.
    Before you do that, make sure your rpm's are set. Best to use a meter with frequency, at generating speed with no load you want 62 hz on your 120 outlets, and on the 100 hz outlet, 100 hz will be 3000 rmps for weld speed.
    I dont know offhand which resistor is which, should be easy to see as you adjust each. You want 80 volts open circuit on the AC weld output, and 120 on the outlets.
    Only takes minor adjustment, so stay close to where the straps look like they were originally positioned.
    I appreciate that. I'll update when I have the new parts and if/ when I get the voltages and hz where they need to be. Hopefully the welding voltage can be raised enough with the adjustments
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Hobart MIG