Thread: Metal Floor Safety

Post Thanks / Like

Metal Floor Safety

Hi guys,

just got a tig welder and am looking to start welding. Before I do, I have a safety question.

My space is a relatively small studio with a painted metal floor. Is this floor a conductivity hazard? Should I invest in a rubber mat? Here's a photo of my setup.

-- Marc
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Metal Floor Safety

I guess I would say no. As long as you ground to the work item. I would be curious what is under the metal. IE: loose sparks.
    TOOLS AND TOYS
    SMAW Mid States Inc. "MISSING LINK" 10-150 AMP Buzzer circa 1945ish
    SMAW Magic Wand 40-60 AMP Suitcase Buzzer circa 1939ish
    GMAW Hobart 210 Ironman
    Oxy-Propane Torch
    Many other old and cold goodies
    "Rusty but Trusty"

Post Thanks / Like

First job is to mount the Fire extinguisher by the exit door, or on the welder cart. Then find out what's underneath the metal, if its filled with sawdust, or aluminum powder/millings or shavings, or even oil . Stuff like that can smolder, and burn in a trench or pit. A GFCI breaker might be a consideration if that's some kind of sump pit, and the location might get damp, or flood. If the area is clean and dry, and your going to TIG weld mostly, I wouldn't be that concerned with the metal floor. I would still check what's underneath the plates, one day you might need to stick weld something, and sparks always get everywhere.

good luck
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

Post Thanks / Like

We did work in smiliar areas with open butt joints like yours. We laid sheetmetal strips down covering the openings. A self tapping sheetmetal metal in the center of the strip kept it from moving.
    Then laid fire blankets on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm definatly trying to be as safe as possible. I'm on the second floor of an old industrial building in Brooklyn NY. I don't own the space and I just moved in. Not sure how I would remove the floor to check on what lies underneath as it seems preety firmly secured. I can definitely cover the gaps with sheet metal and mount the extinguisher close to the exit. I'm going to try to do any stick welding outside so I'm not too worried about that. I did want to do some grinding tho, and of course that's going to produce tons of sparks.
    The place seems relatively dry and without particles that could be kindling.

I also am realizing that some of the floor is not metal. a few strips seem to be plywood. Would fireblankets be good for covering these as well? Thanks so much for your insights guys. I only did welding in school so this is my first time setting up my own space.

Post Thanks / Like

We fabricated and stick welded pipe on a gym floor. Laid down plywood, then masonite, staggering the seams . Then duct tapped the seams. Covered the welding area with fire blankets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

A blanket , or a piece of 24 ga sheet metal (duct work) would work well. Maybe duct tape for the gaps in the floor ? Next thing you might look into is a bigger argon bottle .

Good luck !
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D