Thread: Peashooter accuracy?

Post Thanks / Like

Peashooter accuracy?

Simply out of an abundance of curiosity - Has anyone seen (or performed themselves) an accuracy test of peashooters? As it seems nearly all versions are single manufacturer Chinese sourced not sure if there is a go-to brand with quantifiable accuracy.

The backstory as to what has me wondering about this - I got in the habit of simply setting my Hobart dial gauge to 20cfh and adjusting up/down based on weld performance, in the end that's all that really counts anyhow. The other day I finally (nearly 2 years later) got around to fabricating a basic all-terrain welding cart which prompted I lose the barbed nipple from the gauge to be replaced by a proper B-fitting hose. Doing so I noticed the barbed fitting incorporated a .031 restriction for proper gauge calibration. I soldered an equivalently restricted plug into the required adapter so my gauge should still be reading proper. That said, I've decided to purchase a peashooter for double checking hence my initial query.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Peashooter accuracy?

I use one of the non-cheapo flow checkers, and it works well.

Have I checked the checker?
    Not really - but three quality regulators/flow meters all read the same as the flow checker. So I "assume" they have all checked each other.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

3. Likes golem liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I'll bite. What the heck is a pea shooter?

When I was a kid a pea shooter was a straw or tube that you would blow peas through like a blow gun!

5. Likes 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Over the nozzle/cup flow checkers.
    Slang.

7. Likes welding1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A pea shooter is back in high school, shooting one one with a wad of paper through a straw. Accuracy was based on quality of wad and how hard you blew your load.... well at least I ended up fine compared to other who had kids lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

9. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

never heard "pea shooter" but its funny!
    It seemed like a good idea at the time!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all! At least this thread provided a bit of levity. ;-)

Funny thing is, for me, "peashooter" said in reference to welding provides instant understanding of the subject while saying flow tester/meter/gauge always requires a bit more fleshing out to know what exactly is being talked about. Pretty sure it's because the first time I ever heard about these at-gun flow testers it was called "peashooter" which gave me a chuckle as I looked it up to verify what the heck was being discussed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    I use one of the non-cheapo flow checkers, and it works well.

Have I checked the checker?
    Not really - but three quality regulators/flow meters all read the same as the flow checker. So I "assume" they have all checked each other.
    Same here. I have an assortment of expensive ones(CK type) and el cheapo(eBay china) ones. About 10 in all, one at each weld bench, and they all read within a cubic foot of each other. All of my Victor flow meters are pretty dead on.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

13. Likes golem, MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

MinnesotaDave & shovelon, appreciate the replies regarding experiences with the flow checkers. You'd think making even a budget Chi-checker relatively accurate probably shouldn't be a daunting task -- Sounds like that may be the case.

What I like about the CK checkers is the scaling. Most (if not all) of the Asian branded have an extended scale usually greater than 50 CFPH (53-55 CFPH). I've not had opportunity to compare the two but if the CK is the same size as the cheaper imports the more appropriate 40 CFPH scale should inherently make it slightly more accurate and fairly easier to dial-in.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never checked my peashooter accuracy... but what i dis a while back is play with flowrates on stainless TIG, and see what the least flowrate would give the best shielding results. I put a bit of my tape at the ball height. Now i know to set my flowrate to what I personally know is good, and repeatable.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

16. Likes shovelon, golem, rhunt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by golem View Post
    MinnesotaDave & shovelon, appreciate the replies regarding experiences with the flow checkers. You'd think making even a budget Chi-checker relatively accurate probably shouldn't be a daunting task -- Sounds like that may be the case.

What I like about the CK checkers is the scaling. Most (if not all) of the Asian branded have an extended scale usually greater than 50 CFPH (53-55 CFPH). I've not had opportunity to compare the two but if the CK is the same size as the cheaper imports the more appropriate 40 CFPH scale should inherently make it slightly more accurate and fairly easier to dial-in.
    These are the ones I buy from Ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/322275905270

They are all accurate to each other and match my CK type for Argon. I never run pure helium anymore, just Arg75/He25, so I don't worry to much about calibration for the helium. The CK type is made in Italy. Bashed them both around and never broke one.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

18. Likes golem liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    I've never checked my peashooter accuracy... but what i dis a while back is play with flowrates on stainless TIG, and see what the least flowrate would give the best shielding results. I put a bit of my tape at the ball height. Now i know to set my flowrate to what I personally know is good, and repeatable.
    That's a great system for quick and accurate checking/adjustment. I had contemplated using a sharpie tick for indoors and another as an outdoors starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    These are the ones I buy from Ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/322275905270

They are all accurate to each other and match my CK type for Argon. I never run pure helium anymore, just Arg75/He25, so I don't worry too much about calibration for the helium. The CK type is made in Italy. Bashed them both around and never broke one.
    Clairvoyant much? The fact you linked to that tester is eerie, I ordered the exact unit last evening. Great to know it tests favorably to its peers. I wasn't hung up over the LPM vs CFPH option but figured for a couple $$ more, what the heck. ;-)

It's funny to think the only reason I initially contemplated getting one of the flow testers is basically because I'm curious as to whether the Hobart dial gauge is still "accurate" after my restriction retrofit to the manifold-out adapter.

20. Likes shovelon liked this post