+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Advice on Mid-Level AD Helmets - Up to about $200

Post Thanks / Like

Need Advice on Mid-Level AD Helmets - Up to about $200

Howdy Friends - Asking for some advice on AD helmets.

I'm just a weekend welder - mostly do mig in my home shop, and mostly light fabrication work. I've been using a $50 Antra hood I got several years ago off Amazon, and it has served me OK for what I gave for it. Problem is, I just don't see as well as I used to, and the last year or so I've really begun to struggle seeing what and where I'm welding. I bought a cheater lens that helps some, but it mostly just makes the image I'm seeing bigger - not clearer. I feel certain a helmet with better optics would help...so I'm in the market for the best helmet I can buy for about $200 or less. As you might guess, my main objective is improved optics/clarity. Other features - durability, head gear quality and comfort, modes, battery life, etc - are important also, but take a back seat to optics.

I've been comparison shopping, and here is a list of a few that fit my budget, but I don't know if any are better than the rest. Do any of these stand out as better than (or worse than) others in this price range? Does anyone have another helmet that they think is better than what I'm already looking at? My budget is pretty firm at around $200 - I just can't justify spending much more. If I spent 8-10 hours a day under the helmet, it'd be different...but I spend more like 8-10 hours a week.

Jackson Insight 46131
    Lincoln Viking 1840
    Miller Digital Performance 282000
    Esab Savage A40
    Hobart Inventor 770890
    Speedglass 9002NC (at $236, this one is a bit more than I really want to spend, but I'd consider if it's clearly better than anything else I'm looking at)

I'd really appreciate the thoughts of anyone knowledgeable about any helmets in my price range.

Thanks!
    Red
    Last edited by SeenRed; 05-21-2021 at 04:03 PM.
    God bless our military men and women and their families! To all our veterans and active duty military...Thank You For Your Service!

Lincoln PowerMig 211i
    PrimeWeld Cut50D

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Advice on Mid-Level AD Helmets - Up to about $200

hf vulcan works very well with similar optics as the other big boy brands. but the lincoln has good reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Arcone, and LOVE it. Have a Miller Digital Elite and hate the head gear, the arcone has better visibility for me too... but that is a user issue vs quality issue.
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

I'm similar situation as you-older eyes, not a pro, etc. I've been needlessly suffering from a HF to a Yesweld helmet. Yesterday my ESAB A40 Savage arrived and today I got to try it out. Is the word "gamechanger" too strong?

$84 total, shipped from Baker's Gas. I can see all the colors naturally, no green tint. The AD kicks in perfectly, is easy to adjust, and doesn't trip needlessly. The headgear is the most comfortable I've ever tried and with a 2.0 cheater I can clearly the puddle and surrounding area. I know I'm an amateur, but anyone here would be very VERY hard pressed to show me a better helmet for the price - even up to the $200 mark.

Name:  20210522-141054-01.jpg
Views: 1263
Size:  187.1 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

5. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate ya'lls input. I'm leaning toward the Lincoln Viking. A guy whose YT channel I've been following for a while - Allen's Welding - did recommendation video on the Viking. Although I've also strongly considered that Esab A40 as well.

Thanks again for the comments!
    Red
    God bless our military men and women and their families! To all our veterans and active duty military...Thank You For Your Service!

Lincoln PowerMig 211i
    PrimeWeld Cut50D

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    I'm similar situation as you-older eyes, not a pro, etc. I've been needlessly suffering from a HF to a Yesweld helmet. Yesterday my ESAB A40 Savage arrived and today I got to try it out. Is the word "gamechanger" too strong?

$84 total, shipped from Baker's Gas. I can see all the colors naturally, no green tint. The AD kicks in perfectly, is easy to adjust, and doesn't trip needlessly. The headgear is the most comfortable I've ever tried and with a 2.0 cheater I can clearly the puddle and surrounding area. I know I'm an amateur, but anyone here would be very VERY hard pressed to show me a better helmet for the price - even up to the $200 mark.

Name:  20210522-141054-01.jpg
Views: 1263
Size:  187.1 KB
    A 2.0 cheater is pretty strong and could cause eye strain and fatigue. The Esab A40 looks to be a good helmet. The Speedglass is basically a popular older style helmet with a new better clarity lens. See how easy it is to get replacement cover plates. Don't want to have order them in and wait.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 05-24-2021 at 06:13 PM.

9. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Miller digital elite. Works better then the cheepo I used to run. It has curved edges on the glass and not sure if generic cover lenses are available. I lot of guys at work sware by the Jackson fixed (passive)helmet. Light enough for all day ware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'd get the Esab Savage.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

12. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    A 2.0 cheater is pretty strong and could cause eye strain and fatigue. The Esab A40 looks to be a good helmet. The Speedglass is basically a popular older style helmet with a new better clarity lens. See how easy it is to get replacement cover plates. Don't want to have order them in and wait.
    I find the 2.0 puts my head about 24" from the target and I see the big picture finally. I have a bad habit of crowding the mig gun.

I ordered a set of inside & outside cover plates. Also a bottle of Macguires plastic polish to see if it gets out the eventual scratches. Having the luxury of being a hobbyist, it currently rests in the safety of the house when not being used.
    Last edited by Shootr; 05-25-2021 at 11:16 AM.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 2.0 after having cataract surgery for reading and welding.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

For some a 2.0 is OK but if your eyes are pretty good to begin with might be a little too much. Not worth trying to polish cover plates. The biggest problem I have with cover plates is they get kind of a film on them that distorts your vision and is hard to see through. For a standard helmet I like the CR39 cover plates a lot better than the standard polycarbonate.

Post Thanks / Like

So I ended up going right to the top of my budget and bought a Viking 2450 for $227. Did my first welding with it yesterday, and can definitely see a big difference...I’m seeing the puddle again.

Thanks again for everyone’ insights.

Red

Lincoln PowerMig 211i
    PrimeWeld Cut50D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeenRed View Post
    So I ended up going right to the top of my budget and bought a Viking 2450 for $227. Did my first welding with it yesterday, and can definitely see a big difference...I’m seeing the puddle again.

Thanks again for everyone’ insights.

Red
    Let us know how you like the hood after some time using it.

Personally I would have opted to pay about $40 to $50 more for the Lincoln 3350 4c hood with a larger viewing area as well as the addition of an external grind button. My 3350 4c does not have the external grind mode button or the new sun detection differentiation built in so you can weld outside with out the sun causing the hood to darken on and off when not wanted. Boy technology keeps getting better and better. I’m almost tempted to sell my 3350 4c hood to buy one of these newer hoods.

Several places have it listed at $255 with free shipping so add 10% at most for tax puts it at about $280 total. If you shop around with patience you might be able to get the hood for a better deal. Here is the hood I’m talking about. https://bakersgas.com/products/linco...29024039829557

Last edited by N2 Welding; 06-06-2021 at 01:05 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

18. Likes INXS2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Personally I would have opted to pay about $40 to $50 more for the Lincoln 3350 4c hood with a larger viewing area as well as the addition of an external grind button. My 3350 4c does not have the external grind mode button or the new sun detection differentiation built in so you can weld outside with out the sun causing the hood to darken on and off when not wanted. Boy technology keeps getting better and better. I’m almost tempted to sell my 3350 4c hood to buy one of these newer hoods.
    ]
    This 2450 DOES have the 4C technology, the external grind button, and the sunlight differentiation technology. The only difference between it and the 3350 is the larger viewing area in the 3350.

Red

Lincoln PowerMig 211i
    PrimeWeld Cut50D

20. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I went with the Esab A40 based on feedback here. Around $125 from Amazon. So far i've only done high current TIG aluminum with it but am very pleased. Natural colours and clarity are very good, making it easier to see what's going on in the puddle. it's very lightweight and the head gear is comfortable. i think for TIG it's a game changer, given that both hands are always full and you can't always nod the helmet down.

Post Thanks / Like

After using many "less expensive" AD helmets I bought a 3350 many years ago. Very good helmet, I should have bought it before the others but I thought the price was a bit high. I love the helmet! Only problem I've had was letting the helmet sit for long periods of time without use caused the battery to go dead (hobby welder). Now I take the battery out when I know it's going to sit for months (plus I have spare batteries on hand). You'll like the clarity of your helmet, I prefer the large view (old eyes). I also installed a cheater lens in the helmet plus use reading glasses so I can see what I'm doing!

Post Thanks / Like

here is a very nice helmet I bought about 2 years ago at $170. My old eyes were having problems with tig welding now I can do just fine.
    the head gear is great very well made.
    https://www.eastwood.com/panoramic-v...ng-helmet.html
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve spent a few hours under this Viking 2450, and I’m very happy with it. In terms of clarity, there’s no comparison with the cheaper hoods I’ve used. Amazing how much better welds I can make by seeing the puddle clearly.

Red

Lincoln PowerMig 211i
    PrimeWeld Cut50D

Post Thanks / Like

These are the best welding helmet for me. The sensors in the helmet will automatically increase or lower the shade of the lens depending on the welding process.
    Take a look here: https://www.hampdon.com.au/safety/welding/helmets/
    Name:  WC-05317.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  45.1 KB

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist