Thread: Mag drill help

Post Thanks / Like

Mag drill help

I recently jumped the gun and bought apparently the oldest living hougen mag drill. It is set up for 1/2 inch annular cutters like a end mill with 1 flat on it the motor is a milwaukee with a 5/8-16 thread. I called hougen and they said I'm sol. I just want to be able to use standard annular cutters. Any older guys have any experience or insight on the situation I don't know how to post a picName:  20210519_085130.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  171.6 KB
    Last edited by paid-for; 05-23-2021 at 10:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mag drill help

Quote Originally Posted by paid-for View Post
    I recently jumped the gun and bought apparently the oldest living hougen mag drill. It is set up for 1/2 inch annular cutters like a end mill with 1 flat on it the motor is a milwaukee with a 5/8-16 thread. I called hougen and they said I'm sol. I just want to be able to use standard annular cutters. Any older guys have any experience or insight on the situation I don't know how to post a picName:  20210519_085130.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  171.6 KB

Maybejust maybe you can take the chuck out and replace it with a standard chuck? Just a thought. The chuck looks just like the one on my old Milwaukee, not sure about the sizes though.

Post Thanks / Like

What is considered the chuck? Is there an ejector spring in the quill?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe quill could be bored and reamed to accept
    a standard 3/4 weldon?
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Post Thanks / Like

well at 3 am this morning i stumbled upon a chuck adapter for a fein to use 3/4 weldon cutters the adapter is 25$ and i think i can turn it down a bit and tig it to the quill Name:  th_6431151500296.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  9.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same mag drill which is an old Hougen Rota Broach. Unfortunately you have the small 5/8” quill which does present a few problems. Adding an adapter arbor will prevent the ejection pin from working and it will not eject the plug that is left in the cutter after drilling a hole. This is a major pain as you would have to remove the rota broach from the arbor after each hole drilled. If there is enough material to safely machine it out to the more popular 3/4” Weldon shank broaches, that would be a much better option, as you would retain the ejector pin feature. Also your drill as shown is designed for 1” depth of cut broaches. You would need the riser block assembly to use 2” depth of cut broaches. This block is a spacer for the bottom arbor guide assembly. Another option may be to keep an eye out on eBay for the 3/4” arbor.
    hope this information may help you.

Post Thanks / Like

Does seem difficult to machine or have machined, especially if it could be welded on. Does the currently installed endmill holder self-eject? Could it be modded?
    Last edited by tapwelder; 05-26-2021 at 11:36 AM.