Thread: Flux core mig

Post Thanks / Like

Flux core mig

Hey, Im starting a bumper project and Im trying to dial in my settings on the welder. Using a Hobart handler 190 at 60 speed and number 6 out of 7 on the heat as recommended on the machine label. However I feel Im not getting the beads Id like. Flux core .035 wire 1/4 plate. Any tips and help would be appreciated. Too fast? Too slow? If I go smaller beads it pools up on me instead of flattening out.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flux core mig

Be careful with the flux core around windows, lights and paint on your vehicle.

L

3. Likes driz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Lol. I’ll just tack it then pull it and weld. I also don’t want pieces flying into my radiator, condenser and trans cooler.

Post Thanks / Like

A single tack will destroy a window! I think 3M has a paper made for protecting vehicles while welding.

Post Thanks / Like

any reason you aren't using gas at least for the tacks? I had a Hobart Handler 190 for a long time and it would do a really good job on 1/4 inch material with 0.030 wire and 75/25 or 100% CO2.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s a bit windy where I’m welding. And I don’t have a gas cylinder yet.
    good to know! Thanks! But how’s my welds looking?

Post Thanks / Like

On the top photo. Before making machine adjustments. I would say slow down and trace the puddle.

The bottom. Appears to be the same coupon and was hot from the precious weld. Let it cool or travel faster.

Post more photos of your practice...

Post Thanks / Like

So maybe the second one I’m welding too hot?
    what do you mean when you say trace the puddle? I was thinking maybe I’m sweeping too wide with my beads.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep the wire in the puddle and push it where you want it to go. Watch the puddle flow not the wire. If you plan to grind smooth, then prep the metal with vee's so you don't grind the bead away.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify it's either Mig (solid wire) or Flux-Core (hollow wire) and not Flux-Core Mig. This is what messes people up when trying to give advice. There is however self-shielded Flux-Core ( what you're using) and gas shielded Flux-Core often referred to as Dual Shield (gas shielded as well as flux shielded). Knowing which process helps greatly in getting advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Keep the wire in the puddle and push it where you want it to go. Watch the puddle flow not the wire. If you plan to grind smooth, then prep the metal with vee's so you don't grind the bead away.
    I would respectfully disagree a little bit. The wire needs to trace the front of the puddle. Staying in the puddle can cause insufficient fusion.

I tell students that if they don't see the arc cut fresh metal, then assume it didn't.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

13. Likes shovelon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    I would respectfully disagree a little bit. The wire needs to trace the front of the puddle. Staying in the puddle can cause insufficient fusion.

I tell students that if they don't see the arc cut fresh metal, then assume it didn't.
    I do a whip technique, sliding into the root for penetration, then pausing to let the puddle fill up. I am also more of a spray guy too and to need to stay ahead for root penetration.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post

Yes. He stated it better. Trace the puddle ( front edge).

Post Thanks / Like

The 1st picture looks good, maybe slow wire speed or turn up volts. But those beads will hold!
    It seemed like a good idea at the time!