+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Learn Something New Every Day.

Post Thanks / Like

Learn Something New Every Day.

The only reason I clicked on the vide was because the thumbnail showed those torpedo levels and I've been thinking about buying one or two. Heard nothing but good about them, so any excuse to buy a new tool...

Anyhow, lucky me, I would never have thought to use the level to find Top Dead Center on a pipe like he shows. Quick and simple, and pretty dang precise if you do your part right. Certainly good enough for what I do.

And that poor-man's turntable? Pretty slick! I can definitely see me cobbling together a smaller version for here in the shop.

Or that chained spacer for the vise? Slick thinking if you do a lot of pipe work.

So, yea, definitely a fun video to watch.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Learn Something New Every Day.

I follow this guy on instagram, he's certainly got his trade dialled for being a young guy. He's in the business of being paid per completed pipe spool, which is quite rare over here, but it makes him work as efficiently as possible.

I wouldn't be without a torpedo level, I use them for everything! Barely ever get the long levels out.

I like the chained spacer in the vice. Our pipe welders aren't as cool as that.
    Last edited by Munkul; 05-25-2021 at 04:57 AM.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

3. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    I wouldn't be without a torpedo level, I use them for everything! Barely ever get the long levels out.
    Those Stabila levels look mighty nice, and I kinda like the rotating bezel that lets you set and find various angles. Never much cared for the digital angle-finders because electronics die a miserable death in my shop. With the rotating bubble, though, it wouldn't be hard at all to dial it until you get horizontal... and then you know your angle.

Post Thanks / Like

Stabila is the benchmark for levels over here. I buy them for the guys at work. I always spec the magnetic ones too, they're even more handy - model 81SM with 2 fixed bubbles, usually.

in my own shop, I have Stanley fatmax levels:
    https://www.toolstation.com/stanley-...EaAoNEEALw_wcB

They have 3 bubbles, magnets and a groove for squaring on piping, they're cheaper than the Stabila equivalent, and I've used one of them for years and it's still perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Stabila is the benchmark for levels ...

...they're cheaper than the Stabila equivalent, and I've used one of them for years and it's still perfect.
    Seems to me the difference in price is because one's made in Germany and the other's made in some third-world country. Given the choice, and the bad reviews I've found on both Craftsman and Stanley, I think I might opt for the Stabila just so I don't end up burned. If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all!

7. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

haha! If i was buying again, I'd buy Stabila, definitely. I'm getting more and more snobbish about my tools and where they are made.

That said, I have to destroy the Stanley one first, and it's going strong still

9. Likes Lis2323, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In a prior life I worked with a lot of masons - they wouldn't let anyone on a job with anything but a Stabila.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

11. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use mine on pretty well every project. It's invaluable for getting pieces parallel when you are unable to level the whole assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

13. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Too bad we didn't get to see that piece installed. I have a hunch he was right on the money with the fit.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

haha! If i was buying again, I'd buy Stabila, definitely. I'm getting more and more snobbish about my tools and where they are made.

That said, I have to destroy the Stanley one first, and it's going strong still
    Hey, we can fix that for ya.
    ---Meltedmetal

16. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is it called a pipe "spool"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    els and I've been thinking about buying one or two. Heard nothing but good about them, so any excuse to buy a new tool...
    give me a chance, and ill break that "nothing but good streak"
    im eatin lunch real fast now , tonight or next coupl3 nights i can show u what i mean

19. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

vaughn, i got the torpedo level on the video cover showing 3 vials (the one at a 45). the vials are truly accurate, and two still are 13 yrs later. problem started shortly after buying it for fifty some bucks, when a magnet came out. stabila tried to give me one that had a groove on bottom, and screws that hold in magnets, w/ only two vials (horiz/vert.). i told them i dont like grooves on base, i want the same level i bought but new. they said no. they also refused to refund me. so about a yr later, the second magnet fell out. then a few yrs later, the liquid in the 45 degree vial leaked/dissolved. i treated it like a babay its whole life, other than it dropped a couple times at pipe stand height, due to no magnets. so i took it to lowes, and used it to check over a dozen cobalt levels they had in stock. i bought the 4 good/accurate ones they had, then took them home and ground tapers on them to fit my pockets. they are still(accurate) good today, and they are losing there magnets too, but have held up better. i like levels w/ an open window(no framing on corner edges) for visibilty, and must be slender tapered to go in out of pockets fast/easy. must also have flat base, so i can wipe it on back of my gloves/pants to clean, before slapping it on pipe w/ one hand. postioning a grooved base w/ gloves on - too much time/two hands, and simply not needed. i took pics of what im talkin about, and will post them soon
    Last edited by 123weld; 05-26-2021 at 10:17 PM.

21. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dang! That certainly sucks. I can't find any of the rotating-vial model for less than $80, and for that kinda cash I expect bomb-proof construction!!

Post Thanks / Like

Dang! That certainly sucks. I can't find any of the rotating-vial model for less than $80, and for that kinda cash I expect bomb-proof construction!!
    exactly, ill pay good and hard once if i have too , but only once. i did find replaceable magnets drilled and counter sunk on ebay, but they were 8.50 a piece. if i find them alot cheaper, i might fix all my levels up some winter rainy day. crafstman has a red one fro 20 bucks w/ rotating vial, but base hase v groove, and i dont like how the bubble is so big, it hits both lines (each side), when level. its actually a half descent level though. i still take my stabila around, and use it for checking/calibrating others/work
    Last edited by 123weld; 05-26-2021 at 10:33 PM.

24. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had this curve-o-mark for close 40 years and it has worked well and been accurate. I don't know if they are still made but I would recommend it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

26. Likes VaughnT, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Try flange wizard.

Post Thanks / Like

heres the pics i talked about. during the short time that the stabila had magnets, it made it difficult at times (pulling to side on short stuff), due to the poor spacing. the greye i picked are just as accurate, except one of the vert vials on one of them
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1728099
    [/ATTACH]

Name:  103_9995.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  94.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 123weld; 05-28-2021 at 12:30 AM.

29. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't you epoxy the magnets back in?
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

its pretty tight fit in there, u can see i tried drilling a lil, its plastic like, i dont think it will bond. i seen video on how stabilla builds them, the vials are encased in a foam or plastic , + the 45 vial is as worthless as **** on a bore.
    and honestly, its the "principle of the screw", that bothers me the most. they wouldnt replace it w/ the same, or give me my $53 back. reason being, they know itll come back, cuz theres obviously problems w/ the model. what id like to do, is give them the honest advertising they deserve. that would be, i put it on a 30 day set price on ebay for 530.00 , and let it list amongst all the others, so potential buyers can see it.

32. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Putting the two magnets that close together kinda sucks. I can see how it would provide a stronger hold on a shorter span, the other levels would only have one magnet holding them in place for the same span, but.... Looks to me like there'd be room for a third magnet between the vials, and not doing that makes the whole thing less stable in a lot of applications.

For all the hoopla Stablia gets, I would expect better engineering from them. Being accurate is great, but not when it comes at the expense of your level falling to the floor.

I'm not buying a "made in chicom territory" torpedo level, but I'll have to think hard about buying something from Stabila.

34. Likes 123weld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaJoe View Post
    Why is it called a pipe "spool"?
    I’ve always assumed it’s because a short length of pipe
    with a flange welded on each end resembles a spool.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

36. Likes AlabamaJoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Putting the two magnets that close together kinda sucks. I can see how it would provide a stronger hold on a shorter span, the other levels would only have one magnet holding them in place for the same span, but.... Looks to me like there'd be room for a third magnet between the vials, and not doing that makes the whole thing less stable in a lot of applications.

For all the hoopla Stablia gets, I would expect better engineering from them. Being accurate is great, but not when it comes at the expense of your level falling to the floor.

I'm not buying a "made in chicom territory" torpedo level, but I'll have to think hard about buying something from Stabila.
    vaughn, i may have found a good alternative too stabila. i bought some of theses, and used them for a couple week job, the acuracy so far is consistantly right there w/ stabila. they meet the features i said i want in a level in #13, and the magnets are surrounded by a hard plastic b/t the bored housing. levels are a lil heavier, but magnets hold weight of level easily when pipe is spun. top side surface of level isnt accurate, but stabilas isnt flat either. i thought of this conversation, and snapped a pic of this drop section just for it. i am very happy w/ these so far, w/ only a couple tiny complaints, they are "kapro"

Name:  DSC00485.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  106.6 KB
    Name:  DSC00519.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  100.4 KB
    Last edited by 123weld; 12-29-2021 at 05:41 PM.

38. Likes Shootr, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I appreciate you thinking of me.

I've not heard of that brand before, but if you think they're as good as Stabila and the magnet situation is better.....

Post Thanks / Like

I got a new one this summer that used to look like this. :

Name:  torpedo level.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  19.1 KB

Well at least until it got run over by a forktruck, but its still fairly accurate. Not too expensive either. Can usually found at Lowe's.
    ';
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist