Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My neighbor welds all day long

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My neighbor welds all day long

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Smithdoor,
    Are you using voice to text?

Because your posts are atrocious.
    Almost to the point of being unintelligible.

I am no grammar Nazi,
    But for Christ sake you could at least give it a try…

Spellcheck and quick proofread is not that difficult.

I’m not sure what you were trying to say in the above post
    But when you start wanking off like that I just zone right out.

I ain’t got time for that crap.

Peace and love.
    It's in code !!! Send him $19.95 for code book. This was done in the movie Infidel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem with a neighbor who's dogs run out on the road and chase cars. When I casually talked to him (he was on the road when I drove up) he was blaming the drivers and not taking any responsibility for his dogs. A week and a 1/2 later after one of his dogs was hit and died I asked if he could pull out my dump truck with his 200 size excavator which he was using to clear a fence line. He came and looked and said it would take about 20 minutes to get his machine there. Anyway he pulled sand out of the box, pulled the truck out and spread the sand right there. I was looking to exchange some work with him but said he'd rather get his fuel tank(on the excavator) filled. OK, I said how big is the fuel tank... 300 litres but I you don't have to fill it full, half would do. Never realized it at the time but said sure. Diesel was $1.20/L and 150L was over $175! Seemed kind of steep to help a next door neighbor out. I'm sure the dog getting hit was a big part of it. I didn't hit the dog but I had the track people drive to.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. One of the riders of my MX track who lives close offered to talk to my neighbor and suggest signs be put up to warn anyone coming to or leaving my track about dogs and kids. I gave him my neighbors number and from what I hear everything was very amicable in their conversation and my neighbor was onboard. Neighbor kind of admitted he should have done more but liked the sign idea and asked if a sign showing the track was open could also be put up. Yup, no problem. Friend brought up the sign solution first instead of the dog problem which likely smoothed things over. I could have gone to animal control or the county but this worked out better. Find out what kind of neighbor you have! He could be a super nice guy and agree to grind inside his garage or limit the amount of daily grinding. If he's a jerk then get someone else involved. Talk to other neighbors to see if they have a problem with the noise or know anything about the neighbor. Your neighbor may be curious himself why no one has complained...yet.

4. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

when he works, is this the noise that comes out of his garage and over the fence bothers you ? did he work in his garage before/when u moved there?

Last edited by 123weld; 05-27-2021 at 12:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Smithdoor,
    Are you using voice to text?

Because your posts are atrocious.
    Almost to the point of being unintelligible.

I am no grammar Nazi,
    But for Christ sake you could at least give it a try…

Spellcheck and quick proofread is not that difficult.

I’m not sure what you were trying to say in the above post
    But when you start wanking off like that I just zone right out.

I ain’t got time for that crap.

Peace and love.
    Remember he has some medical issues from years past. Can't remember what it was from, cancer maybe?
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

7. Likes Welder Dave, WenValley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Over a year I probably average a day every two weeks of welding. I reject the notion that welding is too noisy for my neighbors. Grinding is another matter. Grinding is invasive.
    I'm sort of fortunate, Most neighbor houses are vacant except occasional weekends. Only one close enough to care, the husband grew up on a farm, is very deaf. His wife hasn't been seen outdoors in months, if not years.

I use plasma, bandsaw, and other quieter methods when I can.

Still I try to grind inside the garage with doors closed. I don't grind before 9:00AM or usually after 6:00PM. I do have a neighbor 1/4 mile away calls police on me from time to time. She says I frighten her cats.

I was here making more noise than I do now before any of them were here. I claim seniority. I plow their driveways, fix their septic systems, build their stone walls, do their electrical & plumbing at no charge. They seem tolerant of me.

It has been a concern since people had electricity. Many of us make our living doing noisy things. For every noise there is an irate neighbor.
    I tend to agree...but of course I like the sound of welding

....but I also find the sound of diesel heavy equipment soothing...
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

9. Likes labparamour liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

PSA
    Those look great.

What do you use for a clanger inside ?

I’ve only made a couple small ones

I’d love to find a big bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    I use a steel disc about 1/2" to 3/4" smaller than the inside diameter of the cylinder. I weld a half a link of chain to the top and bottom to allow me to tie a rope or chain to both.
    As a clangor inside mine, I use two pieces of 3/8" rod that are hardened (I think they were tooling bolts) welded in an "X".
    I feel the lighter weight really allows the clangor to develop some velocity, which equals a louder noise,, IMHO,,

BUT,, to get the most "activity" I use a piece of galvanized roofing that is about a square foot,, as the clangor activator.
    The steel roofing is thin,, and REALLY does a great job of catching the wind.

I have one near my apple trees, I cut the piece of roofing in the shape of an apple, and painted it red.

11. Likes psacustomcreations liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i would be very reluctant to complain about a man working all day just now. He may be working his a** off trying to make mortgage payments or putting food on the table for his family. He sounds like a go-getter and that's preferable to the ones sucking at the government teat and smoking dope all day. These are strange times, and without knowing his situation give him the benefit of the doubt.

Post Thanks / Like

John T, I agree with you. When I see his name on a post, I just skip over it and ignore it....simple. Even easier than blocking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bakodiver View Post
    i would be very reluctant to complain about a man working all day just now. He may be working his a** off trying to make mortgage payments or putting food on the table for his family. He sounds like a go-getter and that's preferable to the ones sucking at the government teat and smoking dope all day. These are strange times, and without knowing his situation give him the benefit of the doubt.
    absolutely right, u said it better than i could, thank you. i wish i knew the guy/welder, or was my neighbor. something to appreciate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    H'mmm, is he doing hobby work ?? Retired maybe ?
    OR is he running a business from his garage.
    Being out there everyday for 8 hours doesn't sound like a hobby .
    What's your property zoned ? Residential ? Agriculture ?
    That sounds more like a business job in a residential area.
    Maybe give building and zoning a call.

I was going to sugest looking into legslities in your neighborhood. Yet I have to ask. Have you ever mentioned that the noise is a problem for you to this neighbor or asked other neighbors if it is a problem for them as well?? Noise pollution is a problem anywhere you go. If he is breaking the noise pollution codes in your area then you might want to ask or possibly kindly suggest he is bothering you with his noise pollution. It is not any different than some person blasting loud music with bass all day every day or a Drummer beating on the drums all day long. It can be painfully annoying. If he is not breaking any laws in your area then perhaps you chose the wrong place to live. If he does not know it is bothering you then how would he know to stop?
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 05-27-2021 at 06:15 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

16. Likes Welder Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why I suggested you try to find out a little bit about your neighbor. He may not be able to work a regular job and found a way to make a little money in the mean time. He may be very open to a compromise on grinding. Maybe he's a really good weldor and could give some lessons and become your BFF!!!

I don't think I'd call out Smithdoor. He means well and has been through a lot of health issues. On the other hand the site allows you to proof read and edit so maybe Smithdoor could try and use these features so he'd be easier to understand. I have spell check which can be a curse too but highlights wrong spelling or questionable words.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 05-27-2021 at 08:17 PM.

18. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bakodiver View Post
    Now you failed to mention that some non working neighbors devote their energies to theft. Now that I mention it, only working neighbors I've ever had were my father, me, .......I'm thinking.

No, not in 30 years. Only working neighbor is next door. He doesn't hear much, he doesn't complain at all. He may be the only fishing reel mechanic in Orvis employ now. Perfect neighbor.

Hard as I think, women neighbors employed in office jobs, males; unemployed or chronically unemployed. Huh, I never counted. I & my neighbor are the only males on this .8 mile residential road who regularly work.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Remember he has some medical issues from years past. Can't remember what it was from, cancer maybe?
    Yes to cancer from what I read. Think it went undiagnosed for a few years!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post

I don't think I'd call out Smithdoor. He means well and has been through a lot of health issues. On the other hand the site allows you to proof read and edit so maybe Smithdoor could try and use these features so he'd be easier to understand.
    You just completely contradicted yourself.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

I thank you both.
    This site only give me 90 minutes to edit.
    I do see the error but hours later this because of other health issues that has been with most of my life when I was in school the teachers would call it (Edison condition)

Dave

You just completely contradicted yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I do see the error for hours this because of other health issues that has been with most of my life when I was in school the teachers would call it (Edison condition)

Dave
    Gotcha. thanks for the civil reply... I wouldn't blame you if you told me to piss off.
    I would take it from you... Because you are the one I Posted to.

Everyone else I could care less.

Just trying to understand what you were saying more clearly.

I had read years ago that Thomas Edison had a form of Dyslexia ?
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Gotcha. thanks for the civil reply... I wouldn't blame you if you told me to piss off.
    I would take it from you... Because you are the one I Posted to.

Everyone else I could care less.

Just trying to understand what you were saying more clearly.

I had read years ago that Thomas Edison had a form of Dyslexia ?
    & deaf as a stump.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Now you failed to mention that some non working neighbors devote their energies to theft. .
    o yea, u get the whole ball of wax w/ the non-working: there friends/traffic coming and going all hours of the night, kids running around outside in diapers, broken cars in driveway, the screaming/yelling/fighting , etc. but good point, theres nothin worse than a thief(s)

Post Thanks / Like

& deaf as a stump.
    I'd heard "dumb as a post" before but "deaf as a stump" is a new one. What a great expression!

27. Likes John T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    I'd heard "dumb as a post" before but "deaf as a stump" is a new one. What a great expression!
    Oh man that’s as old as the hills.

Here’s another one for your archives.

“He is so stupid he could phuck up a soup sandwich”
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Look on the bright side.
    At least it not all night longe too.

Dave

30. Likes California, shovelon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any update ???

Post Thanks / Like

I get all the neighbors together and have a 21 gun salute after 1AM
    Maybe stagger and have each neighbor on hour do a 21 gun salute every hour after midnight 🤔.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Any update ???

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist