+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My neighbor welds all day long

Post Thanks / Like

My neighbor welds all day long

My neighbor welds all day long pretty much every day from sun up to sun down, it's been going on for at least 6 months straight. The angle grinder is not so bad because it doesn't last long. his garage is in his back yard which is about 30 feet from my back yard where I like to sit and work on nice days. I'm sure it does not exceed what ever noise restrictions my neighborhood has. But it is noisy all day every day werrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr werrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. you all know the noise. I want to be a good neighbor. I do not want a bad relationship with the guy but also it really does wear on your ears after a few hours. Are there any noise reduction measures that would not put him out much? I really don't want to be a jerk. I also don't want to hear it all day everyday I'm in my yard. I'm sure you guys will see his side. I just want some suggestions for not having to put up with it. And I feel like wearing earplugs in my own yard is not the proper solution.

2. Likes BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My neighbor welds all day long

Your problem is not his problem.

Wear Ear plugs,

Build yourself a fence

Plant shrubs and plants that absorb sound.
    Emerald Ceders are nice.

Buy a property large and remote enough it's not a problem.

4. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure I get that, and that's why I reached out in this forum. I get that he works hard all day and that it's probably within the bounds of the local noise ordinances. But also it's a terrible noise that does not stop everyday all day. as a neighbor I wouldn't play my heart will go on by Celine Dion all day every day and just tell my neighbors their problem is not my problem. It's not so black and white. I'd like to enjoy my space without putting the guy out.

Post Thanks / Like

Why don’t you start by going over and introducing yourself. Make him a friend first, then ask if there is any way he could restrict time, or even put up a partition. A welding screen would do a lot to cut the noise.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. I'm a nice enough guy and I would like him as a friend. I also do plan to go over and introduce myself. I just don't want it to devolve into a shouting match and bad relations. I joined this forum specifically with that in mind as my plan. I wanted to know what a rational request would be that wouldn't piss the guy off or infringe on his livelihood.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you live next to me?

Except I do more hammering and banging on things than just welding. And sometimes it goes until 10 or 11 pm...

Does your neighbor use a generator welder? Most regular welders don't make a lot of noise.
    Glen

Red-D-Arc EX300 (Miller XMT304)
    Hobart Champion 16
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

Post Thanks / Like

Ya know, I don't know what kind of welder he uses. I've only seen the stacks what looks like some kind of guard rails that he stacks outside his garage from my roof when I was replacing gutters. I should just go talk to the guy. I just wanted to be informed before I went over and talked to him.
    It a buzzing noise.

Post Thanks / Like

H'mmm, is he doing hobby work ?? Retired maybe ?
    OR is he running a business from his garage.
    Being out there everyday for 8 hours doesn't sound like a hobby .
    What's your property zoned ? Residential ? Agriculture ?
    That sounds more like a business job in a residential area.
    Maybe give building and zoning a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes Louie1961, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You find a block fence filled with sand or concrete will stop most sound. Where I live you can bill 7 foot tall fence that hight will stop all sound.

I Typically tell anyone welding to bill this type so they can weld and use hammers.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
    My neighbor welds all day long pretty much every day from sun up to sun down, it's been going on for at least 6 months straight. The angle grinder is not so bad because it doesn't last long. his garage is in his back yard which is about 30 feet from my back yard where I like to sit and work on nice days. I'm sure it does not exceed what ever noise restrictions my neighborhood has. But it is noisy all day every day werrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr werrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. you all know the noise. I want to be a good neighbor. I do not want a bad relationship with the guy but also it really does wear on your ears after a few hours. Are there any noise reduction measures that would not put him out much? I really don't want to be a jerk. I also don't want to hear it all day everyday I'm in my yard. I'm sure you guys will see his side. I just want some suggestions for not having to put up with it. And I feel like wearing earplugs in my own yard is not the proper solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I think Sunflowers is being fair and I would consider it a nuisance. I think it is the neighbors problem and once it has been pointed out, and nicely asked to reduce the noise with no improvement, then appeal to appropriate authority- HOA, Zoning Department, or Police.

I used to live in a neighborhood and never made noise after 9:00 pm. Now I don’t have a neighbor within a quarter mile so don’t worry too much. My closest neighbor rents him barn as a venue with loud bands almost every weekend. We can hear it but he insists they stop at 11:00. So I have never complained.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

14. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If he has a garage, see if he can grind inside it with the doors closed. I guess it would be similar to someone mowing their grass continually with a gas powered mower. It would get annoying after a while. Sounds like you don't like confrontation the same as I don't. The best bet is to talk to him first and get a feel for what type of personality he has. He might be really nice and agree with you. If he's the opposite and basically tells you to pound sand, find out the zoning in your area. That could shut him down real fast if he's doing it constantly like a business.

Post Thanks / Like

There are usually laws that are usually on your side, not his. His business should not affect your personal life.

I'd try the softly softly approach first, hopefully strike a relationship up, keep it amicable, and then introduce the fact that his noise all day every day is a bit of a problem.

It's a bit of a shame you've let it go on for 6 straight months though. After 2 weeks of it, you should have twigged on that it was here to stay.

I wonder if it's pulse-MIG welding? Some machines, usually older ones, have a very loud buzzing hum, almost obnoxious, especially at higher amps.
    Last edited by Munkul; 05-26-2021 at 04:36 AM.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

17. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If he calls it a Hobby and has no employees zoning does work.

But if you call the police it a loud like party, then it is shut down that minute.

Where live there few welders but they keep the noise down and do there work 9 to 4. Everyone is happy 😊

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    If he has a garage, see if he can grind inside it with the doors closed. I guess it would be similar to someone mowing their grass continually with a gas powered mower. It would get annoying after a while. Sounds like you don't like confrontation the same as I don't. The best bet is to talk to him first and get a feel for what type of personality he has. He might be really nice and agree with you. If he's the opposite and basically tells you to pound sand, find out the zoning in your area. That could shut him down real fast if he's doing it constantly like a business.

Post Thanks / Like

I think your only option is to go to the town hall and check with the zoning officer.
    Every state and town is different.

Once you know what the actual laws are, you can proceed from there.

You may be sh*t out of luck.

But in any case I don’t think walking over there trying to be friendly and then slipping in the noise issue is going to work.

More than likely he will tell you to go pound sand.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

20. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    But in any case I don’t think walking over there trying to be friendly and then slipping in the noise issue is going to work.

You may well be correct but is it a good idea to make that decision for the neighbor?
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

That would suck for sure.

1st stop, check local ordinances so you know what you can or can't do.
    2nd stop, go say hi.

3rd stop, Home Depot for fence materials - since #1 and #2 will likely get you nowhere.

The way I look at it, if that's his income, and you mess with it, you'll never be on good terms...ever.
    You also work at home it appears, I'm sure you know what I mean.

Selling and buying another house is also an option.
    When I bought this recent home, we looked for a place where I wouldn't bother others with my noise.
    You would be looking for the same separation distances - for the opposite reason.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in a rural area,,
    we have bears,,

my neighbor (he lives alone) will not step foot out of the house without a VERY loud stereo on,,
    I am sure he is hoping it will scare the bear,,

Now,, this is not much of an issue,, really, his house is 300 yards away,, but, that stereo gets BORING!!
    Well, rather than argue,, I built some wind chimes, out of 300CF oxygen bottles, and put them out in my field.
    The wind chimes are there to "chase the bear".

I am now waiting for HIM to complain,,
    have you ever heard an oxygen bottle wind chime?? Especially, 24-7,,, and more than one!!??

I will negotiate the wind chimes,, when he brings up the noise issue,, that way, I am not the complainer,,

It might be a problem,, the wind chimes are "growing" on the wife and I,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful going to the zoning board. Make sure they actually enforce the laws before you file a complaint. If they aren't going to do any enforcement, going to them will just piss off the neighbor more. I would definitely try being friendly and talking it out to see if a compromise can be reached. I would only go to the zoning officials if that effort fails miserably.

My town has very strict zoning laws on paper, but they refuse to enforce them at all, because doing so means they have to engage outside legal counsel, and they don't want to spend that money. Our zoning enforcement officer has no ability to issue citations or fine anyone. We have no noise ordinance, so the cops don't want to know/don't care.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    Well, rather than argue,, I built some wind chimes, out of 300CF oxygen bottles, and put them out in my field

have you ever heard an oxygen bottle wind chime?? Especially, 24-7,,, and more than one!!??

It might be a problem,, the wind chimes are "growing" on the wife and I,,,
    I am not sure what you mean?

They sound great.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

26. Likes SweetMK, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

PSA
    Those look great.

What do you use for a clanger inside ?

I’ve only made a couple small ones

I’d love to find a big bottle.

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

PSA
    Those look great.

What do you use for a clanger inside ?
    I use a steel disc about 1/2" to 3/4" smaller than the inside diameter of the cylinder. I weld a half a link of chain to the top and bottom to allow me to tie a rope or chain to both.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

29. Likes John T, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Over a year I probably average a day every two weeks of welding. I reject the notion that welding is too noisy for my neighbors. Grinding is another matter. Grinding is invasive.
    I'm sort of fortunate, Most neighbor houses are vacant except occasional weekends. Only one close enough to care, the husband grew up on a farm, is very deaf. His wife hasn't been seen outdoors in months, if not years.

I use plasma, bandsaw, and other quieter methods when I can.

Still I try to grind inside the garage with doors closed. I don't grind before 9:00AM or usually after 6:00PM. I do have a neighbor 1/4 mile away calls police on me from time to time. She says I frighten her cats.

I was here making more noise than I do now before any of them were here. I claim seniority. I plow their driveways, fix their septic systems, build their stone walls, do their electrical & plumbing at no charge. They seem tolerant of me.

It has been a concern since people had electricity. Many of us make our living doing noisy things. For every noise there is an irate neighbor.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    I use a steel disc about 1/2" to 3/4" smaller than the inside diameter of the cylinder. I weld a half a link of chain to the top and bottom to allow me to tie a rope or chain to both.
    Thanks
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

You check with zoning but that can months.
    Where I live if you in county you can find zoning that let's do that work out side of a hobby.
    You can find this zoning in city as they grandfather in zoning .

I would first try work neighbor on noise. He may work with neighbors.
    I had neighbor that nuts try shot me and my dog shield me from blast. FYI the dog did live he was 7 , he lived 10 more years the oldest I ever had 17 years.
    The sherif came and he ask did do I said "I just want leave" the neighbor lift that night and I never saw him again.
    The sherif or police can fix the problem very fast.

Dave

I think your only option is to go to the town hall and check with the zoning officer.
    Every state and town is different.

Once you know what the actual laws are, you can proceed from there.

You may be sh*t out of luck.

Post Thanks / Like

My neighbor welds all day long

Smithdoor,
    Are you using voice to text?

Because your posts are atrocious.
    Almost to the point of being unintelligible.

I am no grammar Nazi,
    But for Christ sake you could at least give it a try…

Spellcheck and quick proofread is not that difficult.

I’m not sure what you were trying to say in the above post
    But when you start wanking off like that I just zone right out.

I ain’t got time for that crap.

Peace and love.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

34. Likes 12345678910, Munkul liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist