Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TIG Noob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: TIG Noob

Quote Originally Posted by BD55 View Post
    Thanks for the responses! Sounds like I need look into a better solution than distilled water.

Got it all cleaned up and flushed it out. I was surprised how quiet it is. Quieter than the Dialarc's fan for sure. I'm pleased with the quality of this unit and I'm looking forward to trying out water cooling since just my short foray into aluminum showed me how fast the torch can heat up to an uncomfortable temperature.
    Looks nice!

Most of the Procon pumps have a screen/filter under a large brass nut...in case you weren't aware of that. The screens tend to be pretty expensive for such a small thing if you buy them from the welding supply places, but not if you get them from companies who sell to the soda fountain side of things. I've been buying them off eBay and they work perfectly....get two and you'll split the shipping and have a spare for around what just one will cost from a welding shop.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174297593775
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Started working on a shelter for the kids' bikes and our little 2 seater go kart that's been out in the elements. This will help get the kids' bikes out of my garage and protect the poor little go kart. It will go right behind the gates in front of our greenhouse and will measure 8' deep x 10' wide.

1x1x16 ga galvanized tubing. First frame out of 3 is done - what a pain to grind off the galvanization though! After talking with a friend, he recommended using muriatic acid to remove the galvanization from the outside and inside of the joints, and luckily I haven't finished all the welding before getting that tip.
    Name:  Shelter.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  102.5 KB

Daughter wanted to watch and help; it's always fun when the kiddos want to learn and help out.
    Name:  Helper 1.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  111.7 KB
    Name:  Helper 2.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  76.9 KB
    I had her tie her hair back after that first cut, though she liked to keep as far from the saw as possible.

3. Likes Dave66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what I'm trying to put together as a shelter. Got the three frames done and 4 out of 16 horizontal supports that will bolt the three frames together.
    Name:  Shelter Dwg.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  54.5 KB

4 of 16 horizontal supports - I'm hoping with each having two bolts on each end and using 16 of them there will be plenty of lateral rigidity.
    Name:  Shelter H_Supt Four.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  94.4 KB

Feeling a little more confident with my welding. I think I'm still not getting enough filler down occasionally and have some undercutting at times, but with each joint fully welded it should be forgiving enough. I think this was one of my best welds of the bunch.
    Name:  Shelter H_Supt Weld.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  87.1 KB

I picked up some galvanizing paint from Ace to cover the joints. Anyone have any experience with this stuff? My friend says he just uses regular silver paint to match the galvanization.
    Last edited by BD55; 08-05-2021 at 11:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Those welds will hold...no question!

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Finished up the welding portion. Now need to pull apart and paint and get some roofing panels.
    Name:  Shelter 2.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  128.7 KB
    I can't figure out why some of my photos get rotated and some don't

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD55 View Post
    I can't figure out why some of my photos get rotated and some don't
    I've brought this up before. If you use a phone (especially an iPhone) to take the pictures and the phone is held vertically, it will appear rotated 90* on this forum. Some software can't differentiate between portrait and landscape on phone pictures and default to landscape. Some webs hosts have plugins to correct for it, but not all. The funny thing is my cheap little website/blog has that plugin....lol

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Finished a couple projects this last weekend. Got the shelter tucked into its space next to the chicken coop and greenhouse and got the roof on it as well, though I don't have a pic of that yet. Another project is getting drivetrain put together on the go kart. Need to mount the intermediary shaft with the CVT and sprocket. Any ideas how to make it adjustable for correct length for the CVT belt and the chain tension simultaneously? I think I'll make the motor mount hinge and the shaft mount hinge so I can get correct chain tension then get correct CVT belt length.
    Name:  Shelter set up.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  122.2 KB

Also made some pinewood derby - sorry, "pinecar derby" (since this is unsanctioned by BSA or whatever they're called now) - trophies out of some crap wrenches and other scrap laying around. I still need to write "1st Place Overall" on both then clear coat the walnut bases. It was a fun, quick project that our church youth group and primary kids will hopefully enjoy (only had time to make a 1st place trophy for each group). Sorry if this pic is rotated, or if you can see them at all with all the mess in the background .

Name:  Pinewood Derby Trophies.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  116.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Finished in time for racing tonight.

Name:  trophy_finished.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  191.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Those look great and nice progression!
    Sanrex Sanstick 140s(hotstart&dig set perfectly)
    Thermal Arc 185( if you've used one u know)
    Thermal Arc 400 gms
    Miller Shopmate 300( best wire arc!)
    Miller 75dx feeder
    Miller Passport
    Miller s22p12
    Everlast 210stl
    30a

11. Likes BD55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! It was fun to be able to have an idea on a whim and put something together with stuff laying around that hopefully makes the event even more fun for the youth and kids.