Thread: Stresses in GTAW

Post Thanks / Like

Stresses in GTAW

Hey all,

I was just cleaning up some bits for next weld and noticed these ďlinesĒ on the back side of the weld. Iím guessing they are stresses created by the weld?

3mm mild steel plate and bracket. Fillet weld both sides. ~135 amps
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stresses in GTAW

Quote Originally Posted by husq2100 View Post
    Iím guessing they are stresses created by the weld?
    I've never seen that before, but it sure looks like it, doesn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

I often get involved in adding brackets on material hopper, and tanks. The tanks are usually between 14ga, and 18ga stainless steel, but some carbon, and the brackets between 14ga., and 3/32". Most times I will get instructions/marked up drawing from an engineer with fillet size, location, and length of welds. Brackets that are used for shakers/vibrators are almost never fully welded (can't remember ever getting one, but I'm sure there are exceptions, consult your engineer, your mileage may vary.) . They usually specify not to weld ends , and corners. I guess this is part of the reason, although I've done similar welds, I've never noticed ripples in the steel like that . Is the Plate flat , or did it warp ? Can you feel the ripples, or is it an optical illusion( it looks worse than it appears) ? Oh, BTW nice welding.

Cheers
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

4. Likes husq2100, fixit32068 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    I often get involved in adding brackets on material hopper, and tanks. The tanks are usually between 14ga, and 18ga stainless steel, but some carbon, and the brackets between 14ga., and 3/32". Most times I will get instructions/marked up drawing from an engineer with fillet size, location, and length of welds. Brackets that are used for shakers/vibrators are almost never fully welded (can't remember ever getting one, but I'm sure there are exceptions, consult your engineer, your mileage may vary.) . They usually specify not to weld ends , and corners. I guess this is part of the reason, although I've done similar welds, I've never noticed ripples in the steel like that . Is the Plate flat , or did it warp ? Can you feel the ripples, or is it an optical illusion( it looks worse than it appears) ? Oh, BTW nice welding.

Cheers
    That's really interesting stuff. So if you were adding something like a piece of 2 x 6 " channel they might specify a 4" bead on both sides of the long end and 1" beads on both sides of the short ends, skipping all four corners and both ends, or something along those lines? I can see how corners and ends could easily be stress risers....but never thought of it that way.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers
    On shakers that are often added on to existing hoppers they generally send a mounting plan. Typically they will spec out the size and weight of the C channel with a weld scheme. It's also important to radius the ends of the flanges where they make contact with the bin or hopper. Even with all that it's usually not an issue if they will crack but when they will crack.

Post Thanks / Like

This is typically for dump truck application, notice the safety chain. : http://www.vibco.com/docs/quick-ref-...nce-manual.pdf https://www.weldingweb.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

This is for stationary equipment. : http://www.vibco.com/docs/quick-ref-...nce-manual.pdf
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

8. Likes G-ManBart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like some serious vibration going on.
    It seemed like a good idea at the time!

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what caused the cracking in your piece, but depending on materials and design, many fabrications require a post weld heat treatment:
    https://www.metalworkmasters.com/pro...eat-treatment/

Post Thanks / Like

..... Is the Plate flat , or did it warp ? Can you feel the ripples, or is it an optical illusion( it looks worse than it appears) ? Oh, BTW nice welding.

Cheers

I had the plate bolted and tacked to another 3/16 plate the same size to help reduce weld distortion. It still warped but was easily brought fairly flat again. I doubt any weld like that on a flat plate isnt going to suffer some distortion. You can definitely feel the two main weld lines and slightly feel some of the "stress swirls" (just)

Its one side of a transmission mount and cross member, I cut the brackets off a factory mount. The factory mount is GMAW of course. Ill take a look when im back at it to see where they did and did not weld. Thankfully the bushes are rubber and very compliant.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some more pictures

This is the other side mounting plate and itís bracket. Same material, thicknesses and settings. Not near the number or definition of ďswirlsĒ, but still a few....

Sorry about rotation, this website does that and Iím not sure how to correct it.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the 100x50x3 RHS cross member ďtubeĒ (4x2x1/8) and the folded 3mm plate I laminated it with for impact resistance. Some very faint lines radiating outward around the cutouts.

Post Thanks / Like

The welds before I sprayed them with lanotec (penetrant /corrosion inhibitor). It helps save prep for next stage as surface rust starts within hours and is visible next day.

Post Thanks / Like

....Brackets that are used for shakers/vibrators are almost never fully welded (can't remember ever getting one, but I'm sure there are exceptions, consult your engineer, your mileage may vary.) . They usually specify not to weld ends , and corners. I guess this is part of the reason......

Cheers
    Got a look at the factory crossmember and mounts. The side mount in my first pics is fully GMAW one side, no stops or short of ends.

The other mount is GMAW both sides where it can be except where it meets the RHS, then only one side.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there some type of coating on the steel? It would be interesting to know how deep the cracks go. If parts are too restrained (held in place to try and control distortion) could do the opposite and create stress in the welds, especially if higher heat/amps are used.

Post Thanks / Like

I will have to say I have never seen that before. Do you have MTRs on the material?
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning,

After reading the thread several times, it’s not clear if there are physical cracks or just indications of cracks from the backside. The thing that jumps to mind are brittle coating materials for stress analysis.

Long shot here: has the oxide layer formed an equivalent brittle coating material during the weld and once cooled, cracked accordingly?

If this was a brittle coating test, the crack lines would make perfect sense from the point of thermal stresses. That is, they would be perpendicular to the tensile stress.

Short note on brittle coating.

https://www.oreilly.com/library/view...apter010.xhtml

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have seen this,, I Googled it, 91% of the time, it is due to applying filler metal left handed,, because of the swirl direction of the gas coming out of the torch.

Also, people gotta learn that left handed adjustable wrenches can only be used in Australia,, THAT is why we do not have them in the tool room,,,

Post Thanks / Like

What about metric crescent wrenches?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Is there some type of coating on the steel? It would be interesting to know how deep the cracks go. If parts are too restrained (held in place to try and control distortion) could do the opposite and create stress in the welds, especially if higher heat/amps are used.
    Not that Iím aware. Itís just plain old hot rolled mild steel plate. The brackets are off a mass produced Land Rover crossmember and would only be the equivalent. All my steel I acid dip in a bucket, good rinse clean with fresh water, dry and sand with a orbital sander. All sides/edges are done ( so it canít suck the mill scale in from the back)

I did one of those 4 part dye penetration tests and nothing showed up.

I wonder if this ( the smaller or lesser version) is more common and people just arenít cleaning up post weld like that and or noticing it???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    I will have to say I have never seen that before. Do you have MTRs on the material?
    It’s just hot rolled mild steel plate and I’m pretty sure the brackets are not anything special, ie the same.