+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weldpro machine

Post Thanks / Like

Weldpro machine

Evening all,
    I've been looking at buying a new machine for light use around my "farm." I don't need or want a high dollar machine for personal use. I found a weldpro machine on amazon. Was wanting some opinions on the one I've picked out. Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071GWBK5D...XFF5Y6RKJ2RBV0

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weldpro machine

This power source is only good for sheet metal and body work. If you need a machine for farm use a 250 amp power source would be more appropriate.

Post Thanks / Like

When I say farm, I own just shy of 9 acres. Have an older Jubilee tractor,and old brush hog. Nothing serious like this big operation farmers. My first project will be patching a hole in the brush hog deck thats rotted away over the years

Post Thanks / Like

If the brush hog deck is more than 1/8", the 155 machine won't do it. If you tear a bracket on the tractor, the 155 won't do it. If you want to do fence or gate work, the 155 won't do it. If you want to repair the dog's bed, 155 will do that.

Post Thanks / Like

If it were me, I'd go with an ESAB 161 or Miller or Lincoln that is an inverter. Run it off 120 volts or 220. I have the ESAB and can weld 6010's or 7018's real nice!
    We've done so much, for so long, with so little. Were now qualified to do anything with nothing !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznme View Post
    If the brush hog deck is more than 1/8", the 155 machine won't do it. If you tear a bracket on the tractor, the 155 won't do it. If you want to do fence or gate work, the 155 won't do it. If you want to repair the dog's bed, 155 will do that.
    Gotcha. Appreciate the insight.
    Quote Originally Posted by welding1 View Post
    If it were me, I'd go with an ESAB 161 or Miller or Lincoln that is an inverter. Run it off 120 volts or 220. I have the ESAB and can weld 6010's or 7018's real nice!
    I'll have to look into the ESAB. I just don't feel like spending 1k or more for something that won't be used that often. I check classifieds and FB marketplace daily looking for a deal.

Post Thanks / Like

My comments refer to the mig process. For stick the 155 would be fine. I presumed you are interested in the mig side of things because there are very good and low cost shoe box dedicated stick welders out there and you are looking at a multi process mig.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Lincoln hd3200 I think it is. My uncle gave it to me but never know when he might need it so I'd prefer mig/stick capability, I guess it's not absolutely nessacary though.I know how to weld with both.

Post Thanks / Like

For stick welding, that machine would be just fine IMO. Last year I bought two cheapie stick welders (this one is $120 shipped w/ Amazon coupon), and lo' and behold, they can burn rods, so long as it's not 6010. They work better on 240V though. Keep in mind, the cheapie machines do not put out the amperage that they say they do, but they will still work.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

I've also thought about just buying a harbor freight machine. But can't decide if I want to get a stick or mig.

Post Thanks / Like

150 amp stick welder will handle more than 1/8 inch material...prep and multi pass. ESAB 180 is 650 bucks. Not sure the sale the 161 any more? I got my 161 for $450. Not sure mig would be considered for farm use. With the ESAB you can tig if you need too.

Portable mig/stick is only attractive as fluxcore machine.

I cannot see opting to carry a bottle of gas to a site to weld when i can stick with max amps.

Post Thanks / Like

How far is HF from you? That would be a consideration for me vs online purchasing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IAMsteelworker View Post
    I've also thought about just buying a harbor freight machine. But can't decide if I want to get a stick or mig.

Again, we do not know your location,, (if you add your location to your data, we could have better conversations) but,,,
    if you are near Lowes or HD,, just get the Lincoln tombstone stick welder,,
    Many BIG farms have run for decades (my BIL's 1,600 acre farm has used that exclusively for a half century) to keep running.

I used one Saturday to weld some 1" solid steel bar,, on a piece of farm equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznme View Post
    This power source is only good for sheet metal and body work. If you need a machine for farm use a 250 amp power source would be more appropriate.
    This might be overstating the situation a bit. I agree that 155 amps is a bit light, but I think it will do more than sheet metal. I think with flux core wire he would be good for 1/4 inch material no problem. With solid wire and gas, I have a feeling he might eke some 3/16ths welds out of it. I do think a 200+ amp MIG would serve him better if he can fit it in the budget

Post Thanks / Like

I suck at out of position welds with stick, so my choice would be either a MIG or a MIG/Stick machine. I do much better out of position with flux core wire than with stick. YMMV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    150 amp stick welder will handle more than 1/8 inch material...prep and multi pass. ESAB 180 is 650 bucks. Not sure the sale the 161 any more? I got my 161 for $450. Not sure mig would be considered for farm use. With the ESAB you can tig if you need too.

Portable mig/stick is only attractive as fluxcore machine.

I cannot see opting to carry a bottle of gas to a site to weld when i can stick with max amps.
    Appreciate your input, thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    How far is HF from you? That would be a consideration for me vs online purchasing.
    5 minutes literally.
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    Again, we do not know your location,, (if you add your location to your data, we could have better conversations) but,,,
    if you are near Lowes or HD,, just get the Lincoln tombstone stick welder,,
    Many BIG farms have run for decades (my BIL's 1,600 acre farm has used that exclusively for a half century) to keep running.

I used one Saturday to weld some 1" solid steel bar,, on a piece of farm equipment.
    I live in Ohio, about 40 minutes north of Cincy. I appreciare everyone's opinion. I agree having a stick machine would be best for carrying around. Maybe I'll just look at a stick machine for now and down the road a mig.

Post Thanks / Like

I would buy a good mig welder not a all in one machine.
    Any I have purchased a do all machine it nothing well.

Dave

Evening all,
    I've been looking at buying a new machine for light use around my "farm." I don't need or want a high dollar machine for personal use. I found a weldpro machine on amazon. Was wanting some opinions on the one I've picked out. Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071GWBK5D...XFF5Y6RKJ2RBV0

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Weldpro tig/stick unit and it works quite well. The description of the unit you gave a link for says it will weld up to 1/4" material and has a 3 year warranty. That's better than most of the comparable harbor freight units because you would have to buy a warranty for less time. The price is also quite good for a 220/110 machine. If I had seen this unit I wouldn't have a harbor freight machine.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I've thought about buying the titanium 170 unit from harbor freight for $550

Post Thanks / Like

Well I broke down and bought the Titanium stick225 machine from Harbor Freight. My mower had a bracker break at the weld that holds a turnbuckle to level the deck. Only have 110V right now in my barn. Had to crank the machine all the way up to get good penetration with a 6011 rod. Never welded with a 6011 only 6010's. It ain't pretty but it held. Going to go over it with a 7018 rod this evening.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure that machine will work fine for your uses.

But at only 70 amps max on 120v, I don't think you'll be running 7018 very well until you switch to 240v.

Name:  HF 225 titanium specs.PNG
Views: 781
Size:  22.6 KB

A 3/32" 6011 should run ok, but an 1/8" might be a little too much.

That machine must not be very efficient - my Thermal Arc 161 puts out over 100 amps on 120v. Runs 1/8" 6011 and 3/32" 7018 really well on 120v.
    Last edited by MinnesotaDave; 06-11-2021 at 10:38 AM.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    I'm sure that machine will work fine for your uses.

But at only 70 amps max on 120v, I don't think you'll be running 7018 very well until you switch to 240v.

Name:  HF 225 titanium specs.PNG
Views: 781
Size:  22.6 KB

A 3/32" 6011 should run ok, but an 1/8" might be a little too much.

That machine must not be very efficient - my Thermal Arc 161 puts out over 100 amps on 120v. Runs 1/8" 6011 and 3/32" 7018 really well on 120v.
    I looked at the manual for a Thermal Arc 161S and it shows an amp draw of 35.5A at 125A output on stick, so quite a bit more than the Titanium pulls.

It works out to 3.28A of output per amp of input for the Titanium versus 3.52A for the 161S. That's not too shabby for a $300 welder all things considered.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    I looked at the manual for a Thermal Arc 161S and it shows an amp draw of 35.5A at 125A output on stick, so quite a bit more than the Titanium pulls.

It works out to 3.28A of output per amp of input for the Titanium versus 3.52A for the 161S. That's not too shabby for a $300 welder all things considered.
    I was mainly referring to the 70 amp max output on 120v - not very usable really.

But that's just an opinion based on my needs.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

I grabbed some 3/32 6010's and 7018's from work. I need to get 240v plug wired up out thwre.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    I was mainly referring to the 70 amp max output on 120v - not very usable really.

But that's just an opinion based on my needs.
    Oh, I agree that's not terribly useful. I was just commenting on the efficiency part....should have highlighted it or been more clear. It would seem the two machines are similar from an efficiency standpoint...amps in to amps out. I can't imagine why they would limit the output on the HF machine so much more...maybe just cheaper components that can't handle the amp draw at the lower voltage, or something along those lines.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist