Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixing Rustoleum with Rustoleum

Post Thanks / Like

Mixing Rustoleum with Rustoleum

Can I mix these two together?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mixing Rustoleum with Rustoleum

I would not, according to the tech info on Rustoleums website those two paints have different recommendations for the solvent to use with them.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

ill tell u one thing i wouldnt do w/ that farm rustoleum, and that is, mix a quart w/ a gallon. even though they got same part #, they are different. i found out w/ "old cat yellow". i didnt mix, just continued paiting. it was more than a slight discoloration form a different lot. rustolems final most logical explanation on it was, they can get away putting more oil/good stuff in a quart than they can a gallon. in other words, theres a less percentage allowed of alleged ozone eating vapors allowed in a gallon, than a quart. so i always buy it in quarts, no matter how much i need. also black, aint always black. chevy/gm black was black for yrs and into 80's, but in 90's, they started mixing tiny bit of yelow etc., in there black. i guess it depends on what ur painting on whether id mix the two
    Last edited by 123weld; 06-05-2021 at 03:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, just be sure to mix enough to do the job. Chances are 99 percent or more that the colors are slightly different.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

I will just use the full quart.

Post Thanks / Like

You really need to pay attention to the labels now... some of the rust paints are oil based, some water, and obviously those won't mix.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

7. Likes 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think these are both oil base

Post Thanks / Like

To end all the guessing, why not just go ahead and mix a small batch of the two and let us know what happens?

Post Thanks / Like

lol... that was going to be my next response as well... same brand and both oil I'm guessing it would be ok.... might be slight variance in colors but being black I doubt it would be noticeable ... both are supposed to be high gloss.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished spraying the can that was full. I might spray the partial can later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leightrepairs View Post
    I would not, according to the tech info on Rustoleums website those two paints have different recommendations for the solvent to use with them.
    Where did you find that? I came up with all the hazardous product crap but no useful info.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Where did you find that? I came up with all the hazardous product crap but no useful info.
    https://www.rustoleum.com/-/media/Di...prays_TDS.ashx

https://www.rustoleum.com/-/media/Di...prays_TDS.ashx

It is the technical data sheets they are on the page that also as the SDS sheets.
    Mike

14. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    ill tell u one thing i wouldnt do w/ that farm rustoleum, and that is, mix a quart w/ a gallon. even though they got same part #, they are different. i found out w/ "old cat yellow". i didnt mix, just continued paiting. it was more than a slight discoloration form a different lot. rustolems final most logical explanation on it was, they can get away putting more oil/good stuff in a quart than they can a gallon. in other words, theres a less percentage allowed of alleged ozone eating vapors allowed in a gallon, than a quart. so i always buy it in quarts, no matter how much i need. also black, aint always black. chevy/gm black was black for yrs and into 80's, but in 90's, they started mixing tiny bit of yelow etc., in there black. i guess it depends on what ur painting on whether id mix the two
    I used to work for 2 different NAPA stores, one in the early 70's and the second in the early 80s, part of my job duties was mixing automotive acrylic enamels, to say that "black is black" is completely wrong. Blacks have always had different colors added fo "toning", the same applies to whites, at first it amazed me at the colors that got mixed in to "tone" it. The man that taught me had to color match a metallic teal on a 73 Chevy pick-up thay the transport driver managed to bash a door in, he mixed the color by the code & it wasn't even close, it took him 2 more tries but he got a perfect match.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

16. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

also black, aint always black. chevy/gm black was black for yrs and into 80's, but in 90's, they started mixing tiny bit of yelow etc., in there black. i guess it depends on what ur painting on whether id mix the two
    i'm not "completely wrong", we were using terminolgy on an industry level of hardware/farm paint, till u come along. most us learned in kkindergatden about primary colors, and what used for. so i didnt need ur job of punching in numbers and jacking off paint cans at napa, to understand. i was giving an example to the orig poet, that black could be different, and used gm as an example. like i was telling member "iroczman", about painting my cars black. i painted my comaros w/ ppg #9700, which was, and probabaly still is there "black black, on industry terminology". at the time, gm was intentionally getting away from black black. and im not even sure black or white is a color (but i refer/think to it as) , and dont care to argue whether black or white is a color. i got other more important things to do.
    Last edited by 123weld; 06-07-2021 at 04:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a ton of red paint, and a ton of yellow paint. Damn thing turned out PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I worked for a sign company that also did highway billboards. Whenever we made new panels the backside needed to be painted to protect the wood. Leftover cans of enamal were dumped into 5 gallon pails and mixed. Seems like no matter what combination of colors that were mixed it always came out kind of a green- grey color.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm not "completely wrong", we were using terminolgy on an industry level of hardware/farm paint, till u come along. most us learned in kkindergatden about primary colors, and what used for. so i didnt need ur job of punching in numbers and jacking off paint cans at napa, to understand. i was giving an example to the orig poet, that black could be different, and used gm as an example. like i was telling member "iroczman", about painting my cars black. i painted my comaros w/ ppg #9700, which was, and probabaly still is there "black black, on industry terminology". at the time, gm was intentionally getting away from black black. and im not even sure black or white is a color (but i refer/think to it as) , and dont care to argue whether black or white is a color. i got other more important things to do.
    whatever.I wasn't trying to argue anything, just pointing out the facts that existed in my world.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 06-07-2021 at 10:37 PM.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Mixing Rustoleum with Rustoleum

Quote Originally Posted by Millwrightdude View Post
    Can I mix these two together?
    NO

Use either/ Or.

Been there.

On the subject of paint

Tractor supply “majic” tractor truck and implement paint seems to work pretty good
    Along with their catalyst Hardner.

Brush or spray

BLACK PAINT MATTERS.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

22. Likes mcspeed, Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    whatever.I wasn't trying to argue anything, just pointing out the facts that existed in my world.
    i gotcha. i was looking to end it quick, before it turned into one of them big run on threads w/ multi people. yeah, its good you got some experience in that auto paint (its tricky) and its always changing w/ new stuff/ways

Post Thanks / Like

THANKS, it can be very frustrating, we used a shadow graph to measure by weight, I don't remember everything about it but it was as far away from computerized mixing as you can get, the old slide open can "valves" that HAD to function and you would activate them over and over to make sure, especially if mixing for a color match, and some of the recipes that call for a fraction of a gram, sometimes not much more than a drop, it was fun times!
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 06-08-2021 at 10:26 PM.
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

I used the RM system... it was based on volumes rather than weights like the Dupont system did (used that a bit too). You just watched the paint come up a sloped paddle until it hit the line and wasn't bad to work with. Tons of big binders full of paint codes before the phish cards came out. We were still using the base black for most black applications at that point, except for the Dodge Warlocks that had a black metallic. In order to make the metallics visible they had to add a ton of clear, and actually made the black a low hiding color so most of us shot a couple coats of base black first.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

26. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint first coat one can, second another.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I had a ton of red paint, and a ton of yellow paint. Damn thing turned out PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Well, I JUST did this, three weeks ago,,,
    We wanted to paint a steel door, because 6 different carpenters refused to replace the door,, (brick on both sides!!??)

My wife had picked a latex exterior paint, I decided to put a coat of tractor oil based paint on as a "primer"

I thought,, heck, why not try to mix colors, and get the primer "close" to the final color that she wants??
    (I had the paints in the shop, left over from other projects)

I mixed
    50% Allis Chalmers orange (Valspar paint)
    35% International Harvester Red(Majic paint)
    15% John Deere green(Rustoleum paint)

I thinned it with a NAPA reducer, CR233 IIRC,,,
    and
    I added Majic brand hardener, at the recommended rate for Majic paint.

I came within about 10% of the color of what my wife wants,, we may end up staying with this,, as I think the color is appealing more to her, every day.

The paint is perfect,, it hardened within 3 hours, I re-hung the door the same day I painted it.

I see no problem with mixing different enamel paints, even different brands.

Post Thanks / Like

normally i wouldnt like that look/color. but w/ the backgrounds (bricks/floor) color, it looks really good. maybe the windows wood trim/dividers would look good white (like door frame). i paint alot of my steel welding tools/hammers/bars/etc "allis chalmers orange", w/ white handles.

Post Thanks / Like

normally i wouldnt like that look/color. but w/ the backgrounds (bricks/floor) color, it looks really good. maybe the windows wood trim/dividers would look good white (like door frame). i paint alot of my steel welding tools/hammers/bars/etc "allis chalmers orange", w/ white handles.
    We have not even washed the trim,, yet,, let alone decided on a color.
    My 32 year old daughter has a real eye for such things,,
    When she saw the door, her idea was to follow the current trend,, - paint the trim "chocolate brown",,,

That is a color we had not thought about, but, it is something I might put on,, to see if we like it.

I will brush the trim, rather than spray like I did to the door,,
    Hopefully, the hardener will get me the high gloss like the door.
    brushed paint is usually not high gloss,, but, that hardener is magic when it comes to gloss.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist