Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to weld some case hardened chain

Post Thanks / Like

Wanting to weld some case hardened chain

Is it possible to weld a case hardened security chain to a 400 series stainless factory exhaust? I'm almost positive it's 400 series stainless. It's magnetic and has no rust and it's a 2002 tacoma. We're in California though
    My son wants to protect his catalytic converters on his 1st gen tacoma and one option was a skid plate out of 1/8 steel but that will be heavy (around 80lbs) and that poor V6 is already underpowered.
    I saw some 1/2" hardened chain for a tad over $100 for a little more than the amount he needs to protect both of his converters

I've seen there could be some temperature problems that will make something brittle if not allowed to cool slowly? Does that sound right?

Two people on my block have their converters stolen recently so I'm looking into this for my cars now as well. I looked into welding some stainless steel cable's but I think this chain will hold up to a Sawzall blade much better.

Yes I have full coverage but who wants to have to deal with a deductible then having to go to a shop to get some California legal converters.
    I have a miller multimatic 220 btw

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wanting to weld some case hardened chain

For what your doing anything should work. With that being said high test chain shouldn't be welded for any kind of use where the chain would be put under load

Post Thanks / Like

That is going to piss them off and they will come back with a cordless right angle and cutoff wheel.

Some chicken wire on isolators under cat, a stun gun transformer and a motion detector to a relay for activation.
    Last edited by danielplace; 06-07-2021 at 06:31 PM.

4. Likes lalojamesliz, BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You must live near me

screw those dirty bastards- luckily none of our vehicle have been hit.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    For what your doing anything should work. With that being said high test chain shouldn't be welded for any kind of use where the chain would be put under load
    Hight test chain? It won't have a load put on since it's basically just going to lay on the exhaust pipe. I'm just looking for something that will make it really hard to cut through with a portable Sawzall.
    I thought of rebar but isn't that a easy metal to cut with a Sawzall?
    Thanks for responding

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    You must live near me

screw those dirty bastards- luckily none of our vehicle have been hit.
    It's everywhere!
    My brother in law in Arizona was hit twice and his wife had the same thing happen at her job. I was humored when I read one of these crooks had the floor jack fail and crushed him killing him.

8. Likes Broccoli1, driz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tried to delete this post but can't
    Last edited by lalojamesliz; 06-07-2021 at 06:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I considered cameras but all that does is let's you see it happen in the morning when you wake up
    Miller multimatic 220
    Hypertherm powermax30
    80 gal speedaire (champion) compressor
    and growing.....

11. Likes bigfoot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Use some all thread that will fit thru the chain links and run it thru the end and the the chain close enough to tighten it snug on the cat then weld the nuts to the all thread and run some bead over edge of the nuts so they can't get a socket on them and twist it off. There's more than one way to skin a cat(pardon the pun)!!
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lalojamesliz View Post
    Hight test chain? It won't have a load put on since it's basically just going to lay on the exhaust pipe. I'm just looking for something that will make it really hard to cut through with a portable Sawzall.
    Thanks for responding
    a lot more difficult than the car's exhaust pipe though.

anything that will slow them down and hopefully make them choose another vehicle instead of yours.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for responding
    High test chain is a hardend chain. Grade 70 or 80 are high test chain. I completely understand what you want to accomplish. I was clarifying that high test chain NORMALLY shouldn't be welded. In your case wrapping it with stainless steel " aircraft" cable and tacking it together in multiple spots would be more theft deterrent than chain . The cable while being very flexible yet " hard" would be almost impossible to cut with a sawzall.

15. Likes Broccoli1, lalojamesliz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Around here they are saying a can of 2000 degree bbq paint in the most obnoxious color you can find is one of the best defenses. Crooks see that and it isnít worth the work to clean it off so they can sell the CC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Likes lalojamesliz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So aircraft cable it is then. I tried looking for some before but the ones I saw always said that it shouldn't be used on aircraft...... wth! Isn't aircraft cable ment to be used on a aircraft? Ha ha ha
    I'll start looking
    Miller multimatic 220
    Hypertherm powermax30
    and growing.....

Post Thanks / Like

So aircraft cable it is then. I tried looking for some before but the ones I saw always said that it shouldn't be used on aircraft...... wth! Isn't aircraft cable ment to be used on a aircraft? Ha ha ha
    I'll start looking
    If you really are set on blocking the cutting, use chain or cable through a free-spinning pipe. It is nearly impossible to cut a pipe that can rotate with the cutting blade. Converts a 2 minute cut into a 20 minute cut, and ďainít nobody got time for thatĒ.

But donít come back complaining about all the new rattles and clanks your car starts making..

20. Likes 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gregket1 View Post
    Around here they are saying a can of 2000 degree bbq paint in the most obnoxious color you can find is one of the best defenses. Crooks see that and it isnít worth the work to clean it off so they can sell the CC.

I donít get that one . Whatís hard about wiping it down with some acetone or lacquer primer . Even a 3 minute buzz with a grinder and wire wheel will knock off the paint .
    What is it about paint that would concern the crooks anyway? Most scrap yards that are criminal shouldnít concern themselves with such things. They would just bury them out of sight someplace I would think.
    If youíre thinking of some sort of evidence that is traceable by police how about etching the VIN into it and making it highly visible so the crook can see it when he looks under the vehicle. Even then all youíre doing is lowering the value or hopefully deterring them enough to go cut off your neighbors.
    Remember those shake switch burglar alarms from the 1970s. What about a modern version that detects loud noise. Put the sensor inside near the cat and dial it down so it only reacts to extremely loud noise and wire it direct to the horn or whatever security the car has. Iíve cut off enough muffler pipe with an electric saw to know you better be wearing ear protection under there. The racket is horrific. I would think most auto customizing places could square you away . I donít know where you can get one of these sensors but they have everything else and far more complex these days.
    The big issue is lack of prosecution and serious prison time for these crimes today. Youíd have to speak to the folks that elect Liberal politicians about that one. They are the ones that make this all possible through their inaction. The police canít do anything beyond bringing them in . Blame the liberal
    DAs and Judges not the cops.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll start looking
    Actually the good stuff is the same stuff just without the certification. But then factor in the cheap import junk and it could be complete garbage too.

Lots of liability comes along with cable certified for aircraft use.

Back when we owned a marina and a camper business we used a lot a aircraft cable. Back then the steering on the boats was often pulleys and cable and the pop up trailers we used to change the cables in them often.

Some 3/8" is probably good enough for what your looking to do. https://www.westechrigging.com/wire-...cc95f2f8ffd7eb

Problem is where you attach at the cat and the vehicle. They start hacking at where cable attaches you may end up with more damage than letting them have it. Then you want to paint the cable orange so they see it. It is dark and they are just hacking not looking at much. Gonna suck if they cut it loose anyhow even if they leave it behind.

It is just totally ridiculous that the law can't shut these criminal organizations down. But they can hunt down every MF'er that went in capitol building. But no arrests from peaceful protest burning down entire city blocks.
    Last edited by danielplace; 06-08-2021 at 08:05 AM.

23. Likes 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Won't matter what you try a Battery grinder and cutoff wheel is quick.
    I just read that now these thieves are doing parked cars and trucks at Florida boat ramps during the day. Easy picking since they know owners are out on boats.
    Might be better off making up a drive over I-beam box to park on top of. IF they want it they will get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Need a big lighted sign hanging from the cat.

This catalytic converter has been gutted. No platinum INSIDE !!! NO VALUE !!!

Insanity that no one is stopping this bull**** going on with the cats. How hard can it be to find who is buying up the cats or the platinum cores and dealing in this precious metal.

Imagine the cost to replace in some of these in the higher end vehicles. No system is cheap today not even on cheap car.

To do it right you need almost the entire system replaced. Insurance rates are going to skyrocket if this continues. You will need separate policy for the cats.

They take any of the 4 on my van they will be disappointed. They empty.
    Last edited by danielplace; 06-08-2021 at 09:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cut 'em to ribbons

J/K

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible to weld a case hardened security chain to a 400 series stainless factory exhaust? I'm almost positive it's 400 series stainless. It's magnetic and has no rust and it's a 2002 tacoma. We're in California though
    My son wants to protect his catalytic converters on his 1st gen tacoma and one option was a skid plate out of 1/8 steel but that will be heavy (around 80lbs) and that poor V6 is already underpowered.
    I saw some 1/2" hardened chain for a tad over $100 for a little more than the amount he needs to protect both of his converters

I've seen there could be some temperature problems that will make something brittle if not allowed to cool slowly? Does that sound right?

Two people on my block have their converters stolen recently so I'm looking into this for my cars now as well. I looked into welding some stainless steel cable's but I think this chain will hold up to a Sawzall blade much better.

Yes I have full coverage but who wants to have to deal with a deductible then having to go to a shop to get some California legal converters.
    I have a miller multimatic 220 btw
    this is such an unexcusable problem in calif, and so outa control. to have to go through these measures, and having this weight/crap attached that can only create problems, because the local gov't profits off resale/repair/etc, and condones this by opening prisons, and allowing a market for the loot, is so over the top screw in the *** to the working class/society. these theives ought to have there nuts cutt off w/ a dull knife, when caught, and this bs would come to a screeching halt. also, i can buy 20' of 1/2 grade 70 chain w/ hooks, for 120 or less (american made). i got about half dozen of them, i use them, i use them on all my pickups, that wrap arounf the frame, and lay in my bed, that i run through knack boxes, or lock down whatever i decide to put in back of truck. i know a guy, who heard them sawing off the catylyst on his motorhome from inside the house, he ran out there, and the theives woman tried to run him over. it was all caught on the neighbors security camera, and the sheriffs wouldnt do jack **** about it. it puts the innocent victim in a predicament of being charged w/ a crime, while you are protecting ur property - its absolute insanity
    Last edited by 123weld; 06-08-2021 at 11:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe some 6" wide strips of like 3/8" going from one side of the frame to the other and aircraft cables welded to the strips and on the cone shaped ends with a bit of slack since the exhaust moves.....

I attached a extremely rough sketch. Don't be jealous of my drawing skills
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Miller multimatic 220
    Hypertherm powermax30
    and growing.....

Post Thanks / Like

Even with a cordless grinder and death wheel it's going to take a while. My cars are paid off and I'm not getting rid of them so I don't need to worry about if someone likes it or not. If I ever had to replace a converter I just cut off whatever I need to.
    Miller multimatic 220
    Hypertherm powermax30
    and growing.....

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking the same thing but would be tricky getting the cross pieces and loops close enough and not contact the system. A sawzall blade is pretty thin.

Bars and cables hopefully may have them moving on to another target which I realize is the idea.

Make it too tough and they will take it elsewhere and cut them off and set it on fire to make an example out of you with all your brackets, cables and chains.
    Last edited by danielplace; 06-08-2021 at 05:08 PM.

31. Likes lalojamesliz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A sensor that sets off the horn or even an extra loud horn installed could be a good deterrent along with some type of wrap for the converter. Maybe you could have some type of pipe or container filled with oil or other nasty substance that would need to be cut through to get at the converter? Thief gets a face full of it, they might decide to leave. Big variable if they can't get the cat, will they do other damage to your vehicle. Loud siren may be the best idea to scare them away.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 06-08-2021 at 05:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by driz View Post
    I donít get that one . Whatís hard about wiping it down with some acetone or lacquer primer . Even a 3 minute buzz with a grinder and wire wheel will knock off the paint .
    What is it about paint that would concern the crooks anyway? Most scrap yards that are criminal shouldnít concern themselves with such things. They would just bury them out of sight someplace I would think.
    If youíre thinking of some sort of evidence that is traceable by police how about etching the VIN into it and making it highly visible so the crook can see it when he looks under the vehicle. Even then all youíre doing is lowering the value or hopefully deterring them enough to go cut off your neighbors.
    Remember those shake switch burglar alarms from the 1970s. What about a modern version that detects loud noise. Put the sensor inside near the cat and dial it down so it only reacts to extremely loud noise and wire it direct to the horn or whatever security the car has. Iíve cut off enough muffler pipe with an electric saw to know you better be wearing ear protection under there. The racket is horrific. I would think most auto customizing places could square you away . I donít know where you can get one of these sensors but they have everything else and far more complex these days.
    The big issue is lack of prosecution and serious prison time for these crimes today. Youíd have to speak to the folks that elect Liberal politicians about that one. They are the ones that make this all possible through their inaction. The police canít do anything beyond bringing them in . Blame the liberal
    DAs and Judges not the cops.

Crooks are lazy. 2 minutes to cut it from the car and 20 minutes to get rid of the paint?Ö they would rather hit many other cars than deal with it.

But, you are right, having the VIN etched in is also recommended.

Nothing will Stop the crooks.. but every bit that makes it seem like your cat is not worth the effort.