Thread: New business update.

Post Thanks / Like

New business update.

I posted a little while ago that I started my own business, just a short little update.

I ended up landing a small maintenance contract for 2 days work a week at a concrete recycling facility, as well as some work on a construction job, both seem pretty steady for now, so I figured I should invest a bit in some tool's.

I already had a small duel cab ute (like a slightly smaller 4 door dodge RAM 1500), and alot of the basic stuff, battery tools, grinders, small stick/TIG welder, hand tools ect

So i went and got a 9KVA generator, a magnetic base drill, a tool box to put on my ute and a nice combo ladder, all stuff that's going to be handy for fixing/building things on site, next purchase is going to be a few folding pipe stands to use a compact portable trestle's, then I think I'll be set for a small mobile fabrication/maintenance setup.

I'll get a few pics latter.

I want to say thank you to those on here that have encouraged me over the years and answered my stupid questions, the passing of one of the golden oldies on here recently made me realise I wish I'd said it sooner, so thank you all.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New business update.

Excellent,keep it going

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I used to charge $40 per hour back in 1990 when I last did a yellow page ad. What is todays going rate mobile sir?

4. Likes ttoks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birmingplumb View Post
    I used to charge $40 per hour back in 1990 when I last did a yellow page ad. What is todays going rate mobile sir?
    keep in mind i'm in Australia, so divide this by about 70% to get equivalent in USD.

For the construction subcontract work I'm charging $75 plus 10% sales tax just for labour and basic hand tools, they supply all equipment, materials and consumables and PPE.

The mobile maintenance contract i'm charging $100 plus sales tax, they supply consumables, materials and heavy equipment (crane hire, tele handler hire ect, or I supply and charge with a markup) and I supply equipment other than heavy machinery, welding machine, generator, drills, mag base, basic PPE ect(they supply anything site specific like LOTO locks) as well as having a 5 hour minimum for planned work (1 hour travel and 4 hour minimum labour), and a call out's/breakdown with short notice it's 8 hour minimum.

Both seems pretty good deals to me.
    Last edited by ttoks; 06-08-2021 at 11:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ttoks can almost name his price! Yes, he's that good judging by the pics. he's shown. Most would be humbled by his abilities.

7. Likes rhunt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    keep in mind i'm in Australia, so divide this by about 70% to get equivalent in USD.

For the construction subcontract work I'm charging $75 plus 10% sales tax just for labour and basic hand tools, they supply all equipment, materials and consumables and PPE.

The mobile maintenance contract i'm charging $100 plus sales tax, they supply consumables, materials and heavy equipment (crane hire, tele handler hire ect, or I supply and charge with a markup) and I supply equipment other than heavy machinery, welding machine, generator, drills, mag base, basic PPE ect(they supply anything site specific like LOTO locks) as well as having a 5 hour minimum for planned work (1 hour travel and 4 hour minimum labour), and a call out's/breakdown with short notice it's 8 hour minimum.

Both seems pretty good deals to me.
    You are saying all the right things to me. Once you get into a position to supply your own gear that is calibrated and you know like the back of your hand you are set. Too many times I have been called in to save the day using a customer's equipment only to find the equipment is junk and my quote becomes FUBAR. I only travel with my own these days that is if the customer can persuade me to go there. Would rather be working in my own shop surrounded by my own tools that I know work.

For field work I charge $100 just to cart my equipment over, and a one hour minimum charge. Whatever the case they owe me at least $200. Now that covid is over and there is a huge labor shortage and no end to upgrading and repairs I will stay in the shop. This week has been a killer week billing wise. Hope it lasts.

Good luck to you. And yes you will have all sorts trying to stiff you out of payment.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

9. Likes Broccoli1, rhunt, fixit32068 liked this post