+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old Oxy Act cylinders

Post Thanks / Like

Old Oxy Act cylinders

Name:  P1000469.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  145.7 KBHi. I have this old. must be antique set of old B0C. cylinders sitting in my shed.
    I brought them from the UK over twenty years ago. and never could get them filled
    or exchanged here in Manitoba. Any suggestions what to do with them? other than
    scrapping them. Thanks.
    Last edited by Josey; 06-09-2021 at 02:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old Oxy Act cylinders

They make great wind chimes or bells,,
    I cut a 300CF oxygen bottle with a 9X16 saw, and hung both halves.

The wind chimes sell for BIG $$$ in the right market.

There are lots of YouTube videos,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    They make great wind chimes or bells,,
    I cut a 300CF oxygen bottle with a 9X16 saw, and hung both halves.

The wind chimes sell for BIG $$$ in the right market.

There are lots of YouTube videos,,,
    Check out the “Scrap metal art and projects “ thread right here on WW.

Pat (psa....) is the resident gas bottle/wind chime authority there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

4. Likes BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a rocket great to sell to to teenagers with match.

Quote Originally Posted by Josey View Post
    Name:  P1000469.jpg
Size:  145.7 KBHi. I have this old. must be antique set of old B0C. cylinders sitting in my shed.
    I brought them from the UK over twenty years ago. and never could get them filled
    or exchanged here in Manitoba. Any suggestions what to do with them? other than
    scrapping them. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Old doesn't matter as long as it still tests well.
    There are pics on the internet of bottles with World War 1 dates and military proof marks still in service.

I've seen those wind chime bells.
    I hate the extra noise, no need for it.
    Nothing wrong with silence.

They make great compressed air tanks, super high ratings thousands of PSI, lots of safety factor.

Pull out the valve, it's restrictive.
    Maybe 1/8" orifice inside

Put normal 3/4" pipe fittings in it.

Parallel them together, mounted upside down with an auto drain on it.
    Last edited by 12345678910; 06-09-2021 at 06:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I had one too. The guys here turned me onto "stumps" so I made it into one.

Name:  20210417_095941-01.jpg
Size:  250.8 KB

Name:  20210417_170442-01.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  147.4 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

8. Likes distrbd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12345678910 View Post

Pull out the valve, it's restrictive.
    Maybe 1/8" orifice inside

Put normal 3/4" pipe fittings in it.

Parallel them together, mounted upside down with an auto drain on it.
    I don't know about most acetylene tanks - but mine had highly compacted asbestos in it. Couldn't imagine what it would have taken to clear it out. I cut it flush and welded a plate over it to mount wheels.

Name:  20210418_105226-01.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  168.0 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

For the OP, get the cylinders tested. Unless they're rusted or damaged cylinders can be in service indefinitely.

Acetylene cylinders don't have asbestos. It could have been pretty dangerous cutting and welding on an acetylene cylinder. Below is short blurb on acetylene cylinders.

Acetylene cylinders differ from other compressed cylinders in that they contain a porous
    filler material (or mass), and a solvent in which the acetylene is dissolved.
    If acetylene were to be stored as a compressed gas in cylinders (in the same way as other
    gases) it would be very unstable and could decompose explosively. For this reason, it is
    dissolved in a solvent, which allows greater quantities of the gas to be stored at a lower
    pressure in a safe manner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12345678910 View Post
    Old doesn't matter as long as it still tests well.
    There are pics on the internet of bottles with World War 1 dates and military proof marks still in service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    For the OP, get the cylinders tested. Unless they're rusted or damaged cylinders can be in service indefinitely.
    Cylinders from UK may not possess the proper approval stamps needed and may not be able to be certified for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Josey View Post
    Hi. I have this old. must be antique set of old B0C. cylinders sitting in my shed.
    I brought them from the UK over twenty years ago. and never could get them filled or exchanged here in Manitoba.
    Last edited by danielplace; 06-09-2021 at 10:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

We one supplier that purchased tanks made in late 1930's from Germany they tested good just put blinders on for stamp used by Germany Army.
    One group would not buy from that company. It was strange to see that stamp in America.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    Cylinders from UK may not possess the proper approval stamps needed and may not be able to e certified for that reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  Screenshot_20210609-190339_Photos.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  137.9 KB

Just sharing what I read...

I cut it with a bandsaw after it wouldn't fill with any water at all. I cut the protruding material with a Sawzall, threw it in the fire pit, and tried to light it off. Smoldered for a minute, then kept going out.

When welding, the worst was the acetone kept contaminating the mig beads.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

As Shootr mentioned, one of the handiest tools in the shop is the metal stump. They're great for shaping sheet metal, and I've used mine to make dishes from .125" flat as well as turn rings in 1x1/4" bar.

Just fill it up with all kinds of extra mass if you can to deaden the ring and keep them from bouncing around. Sand works really great if you add a bit of oil to prevent corrosion on the inside.

15. Likes farmersammm, distrbd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    We one supplier that purchased tanks made in late 1930's from Germany they tested good just put blinders on for stamp used by Germany Army.
    One group would not buy from that company. It was strange to see that stamp in America.

Dave
    Yup, seen a few of those cylinders locally. They had a square stamp with a cross inside the square... All marked "Linde" from Germany.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    As Shootr mentioned, one of the handiest tools in the shop is the metal stump. They're great for shaping sheet metal, and I've used mine to make dishes from .125" flat as well as turn rings in 1x1/4" bar.

Just fill it up with all kinds of extra mass if you can to deaden the ring and keep them from bouncing around. Sand works really great if you add a bit of oil to prevent corrosion on the inside.

Stick a magnet or two on the sides of the cylinder to take all the ring out. Same with a bad ringing anvil.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    Name:  Screenshot_20210609-190339_Photos.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  137.9 KB

Just sharing what I read...

I cut it with a bandsaw after it wouldn't fill with any water at all. I cut the protruding material with a Sawzall, threw it in the fire pit, and tried to light it off. Smoldered for a minute, then kept going out.

When welding, the worst was the acetone kept contaminating the mig beads.
    If you have acetone coming out, you could have big problems because there would be unstable acetylene that could explode. If the cylinder was really old and not filled for decades it could have some asbestos in it.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 06-10-2021 at 05:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    Cylinders from UK may not possess the proper approval stamps needed and may not be able to be certified for that reason.
    With the millions of cylinders out there, I'd bet there are a lot that go from country to country and have to meet pretty common standards. The UK isn't a 3rd world country where anything goes. What's interesting is I saw a video years ago from BOC in the UK where they lay the cylinders down and kick them to move them. They can roll several at a time using this technique but then have to stand them up. It was odd to see them rolled on the ground like this.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 06-10-2021 at 05:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    With the millions of cylinders out there, I'd bet there are a lot that go from country to country and have to meet pretty common standards. The UK isn't a 3rd world country where anything goes. What's interesting is I saw a video years ago from BOC in the UK where they lay the cylinders down and kick them to move them. They can roll several at a time using this technique but then have to stand them up. It was odd to see them rolled on the ground like this.
    http://allsafe.net/files/ISO_versus_...er_Summary.pdf

FACTS AND DIFFERENCES ABOUT UN/ISO AND DOT/TC STAMPING REQUIREMENTS

1. Gas fillers in the USA can legally fill UN/ISO or DOT cylinders that meet CFR regulations.
    2. Both All Safe UN/ISO and DOT cylinders are manufactured in the USA and other Foreign countries.
    3. Both DOT and UN/ISO cylinders have the same dimensions, internal water volume, steel chemistry, and valve
    compatibility.
    4. ISO cylinders are tested to, and have a higher working pressure and gas volume capability than DOT/TC cylinders.
    5. DOT-stamped cylinders are acceptable for transport to, from, and within the United States. UN/ISO-stamped
    cylinders must have "USA" country of approval marking to be acceptable for transport to, from or within the United
    States. All Safe’s UN/ISO cylinders are stamped “USA”.

6. DOT markings must conform to applicable requirements of 49 CFR 178.35. UN/ISO pressure receptacle markings
    must conform to applicable requirements of 49CFR 178.71.
    7. DOT and All Safe UN/ISO cylinder markings are expressed in conventional units.
    8. DOT and TC date of manufacture is month-year (10-13) while UN/ISO is year and month ( 2013/10) 9. DOT stamps service pressure only in psi. All Safe UN/ISO cylinders have stamps for Service Pressure (PW) and
    Test Pressure (PH) in metric (BAR) and PSI.
    10. UN/ISO requires inlet thread to stamped. DOT does not.
    11. Manufacture approval number granted by U.S. Department of Transportation (Pipeline and Hazardous Materials
    Safety Administration) for both the DOT and UN/ISO. If manufactured in same facility, the approval number will
    be the same.
    12. Third-party independent inspection is required for both DOT and UN/ISO designs.
    13. There is no plus or star for UN/ISO cylinders. The service pressure is already at or above the 10% over-fill
    authorized for select gas services by DOT.
    Last edited by danielplace; 06-10-2021 at 07:59 PM.

21. Likes Welder Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's very interesting and informative. I've never had to inspect cylinders or looked a lot of them over to see if they were DOT or UN/ISO. I would suspect most cylinders, especially the larger ones, would meet the higher specs. of UN/ISO. Would be interesting to know if there are a lot of DOT only cylinders out there in 244 size which is the most common.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Stick a magnet or two on the sides...
    Magnets will help attenuate the sound, but they don't add to the mass. Backfilling the cylinder with sand and oil kills the noise and makes the stump far more useful because it isn't wobbling around. Two birds, one stone. Plus it's a good way to use up all the little scrap from your saw and lathe. When I made mine, I hunted all over the shop for any swarf, scale, rusty nails and anything else I could find. Then I topped it all off with sand and oil. The finished stump is properly heavy, won't rust out from the inside, and works wonderfully because of the added weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Bowling ball mortars are a popular use for old high pressure cylinders but probably illegal outside the US.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist